Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting pictures of live critters in traps on the interweb...

Default Putting pictures of live critters in traps on the interweb...

PETA fodder if you ask me,

it always seems weird folks post pics of live animals, end their suffering fast then take some shots

if you want shots of live animals go hunting with a long lens or go to the zoo, really the less PETA fodder on the internet the better for all of us

off my soap box, safe season everyone
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I could'nt agree more, the anti's are looking for any ammo they can get on us trappers, and we have got to eliminate anything that can give their cause creadance. Dispatch your catch, then post pics, if you want live shots, keep them to yourself, or only e-mail them to your friends and fellow trappers. Don't give em anything to use against us.!!!!!

Default anti's

They can get live photos of one of more than a hundred trapping sites daily. Trapperman is one of the largest sites, and they quote and take bits of info off of there alot.

Footholds are meant to HOLD the animal. If you use enough swivels, file the jaws, etc... there shouldn't be any foot damage at all, and then your just holding the animal. The animal is not suffering when they are in the trap. Many of the fox i trap in footholds are just hanging out laying around until I show up.

Photos of animals with blood on the leg or photos that show foot damage, should not be posted. But remember footholds are not meant to make an animal suffer, they are just meant to hold the animal.

Default Good point...

Our actions may have unintended consequences, but those consequences can influence events in real ways. Public perceptions drive regulation. This was arguably the most important point made in the Hunter Education course by ADF&G. Since then I can't help but wonder if this isn't one of those "if we don't lead, then we will follow" propositions. I think Ak Powder Monkey makes a point worth pondering.

Sad too that people who would see the pictures won't ask further questions before they jump to conclusions.

Default Yes it does

Which is why the "Destroying the Myth" video should be linked to from every trapping site. We will NEVER change the views of the anti's, and there is no point trying. But when the anti's tell the "middle of the roaders" to come look at a trapping site, it would be nice that the video was linked for their viewing pleasure, so they can make an informed decision about trapping, instead of the one sided view of the anti's.

In case nobody knows or has not seen it, here is a link.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsj-2o0ux14

Default double edged sword

Exposure (viewing of pictures etc.) to hunting, trapping and the use of animals is a two fold issue. Also pictures and videos of animals in traps is no different than Bowhunting TV on The Outdoor Channel, with the deer running off after an arrow passed through it.

1) Lack of exposure, to our youth especially, has created generations of overly sensitive people. I know many people who care more for animals than humans.

2) Over exposure gives the hyper-sensitive adults and teenagers "PETA fodder".

Both aspects of this issue are deteramental to our way of life. Only, one of them is a slow agonizing death.

The numbers of outdoorsmen and women are dwindling. Access and opportunity are becoming harder and harder to come by. We can't hide from the PETAs of the world any longer. We need to expose more people to the facts. I know many adults (in Alaska) who don't want to know where a steak comes from. Sure they know it is part of a steer, but don't want to admit that the steer had to die to become steak. These people kill by proxy and are never exposed to life, real life.

The mainstream (I use this term loosely) exposes our youth, daily, to the (overly)sensitive agenda or liberal way of life. Take the movie Bambi for example. Great movie, tugs at ones heartstrings. The movie is anti-hunting to the max. Movies like this (and there are plenty of them) are agenda driven. Generations of kids have formed opinions, about animals, based strictly on these types of movies. Exposure to trapping pictures (live or dead) is necessary to desensitize our youth to the use of animals.

How would you trap a telletubby? 220? 330?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

"Footholds are meant to HOLD the animal. If you use enough swivels, file the jaws, etc... there shouldn't be any foot damage at all, and then your just holding the animal. The animal is not suffering when they are in the trap. Many of the fox i trap in footholds are just hanging out laying around until I show up."

Seriously? Come on, now. I'm a life-long hunter, and, while I can't call myself a trapper, I've done plenty of trapping growing up. There's no way that you can tell me that, when the trap closes tightly enough that the animal is physically incapable of freeing itself, there's not going to be any foot damage, and the animal is not in any pain. I fully support what we do when we trap, and pain an animal experiences before we dispatch it is just something we have to accept. And it's the reason why we check our traps often and kill caught animals quickly, rather than leave them to suffer longer than they have to. Let's be real about this... when you say something flowery like "If you do it right, the animal won't feel any pain," it just makes us look like we're all in denial.

Default video

Did you watch the video Zort?

Watch it.

I never did say they don't feel pain, I said they are not suffering, there is a difference.

Default foot damage

I can tell you that out of 126 fox in footholds two years ago I had 7 with minimal foot damage. (I checked my notes from that year to pull the numbers in case your wondering)

How is taking a photo of a dead animal in a trap better than taking one of a live animal in a trap?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    PETA fodder if you ask me,

it always seems weird folks post pics of live animals, end their suffering fast then take some shots

if you want shots of live animals go hunting with a long lens or go to the zoo, really the less PETA fodder on the internet the better for all of us

off my soap box, safe season everyone

You really going to bend over and let the PETA pukes tell you how to live?
    Now what ?

Don't they have to be a member here with 20 post to even see the Trapping/Predator Hunting forum?

But while your at it on a hunting/fishing/outdoor site, ya might as well get rid of the kill shots of moose, sheep, goats, bear and the neighbors cat (kidding).

Heck get rid of all the dead fish pics, and God forbid the pics of the large lakers hanging out in freezing temps while they pose for a photo.

And the snowmachines, ATV's etc that polute and destroy the habitat...

I mean, heck if PETA had its way this site wouldn't exist, and we lose a lot of fights and battles because folks want to cower at the thought PETA might use it. Well if its a tasteful picture of a tradition you like to carry on with your kids post it. Just exercise some common sense.

Do you post a pic of a nice coyote ya shot with minimum damage, or do you post a pic of one you blew in two with your .338 while out moose hunting?

Don't be your own worse enemy, and fight them every step of the way, because as soon as ya back off they'll step in.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Don't they have to be a member here with 20 post to even see the Trapping/Predator Hunting forum?
    Yes you are correct this portion of the ODD is members only. It is also one of the forums that is not linked to the Google web browser for public searching. That doesn't make it impenetrable to the anti's but hopefully it is somewhat off the radar.

Default I tried not to respond

I was not going to respond because I often completely disagree with powder monkey, but I can't bite my tongue on this one any longer. Be proud of what you do!!!. If you post a picture of a live animal ethically and legally trapped in the most humane way possible you have nothing to be ashamed of. My two children have been exposed to every type of animal harvest since there were very small and have a more balanced view of these activities then many of thier friends. I will repeat in this post that nothing dies easy in nature. Natural mortality for a fox is rarely dieing in their sleep in a warm den. This hiding of our activities and the liberal education system is killing these outdoor activities to our youth. It is wrong to hide from society as a trapper, if you want your children to be able to trap stop worrying about being politically correct that feeds into the liberal's plan. If powder monkey traps and chooses not to post pictures of his catch alive that is his choice. Don't ask me to feed their agenda, I will opt for education over hiding.
    trapperbob
    P.S.
    I don't find this offensive.

Great post Bob!

Default Maybe

Maybe for those that eat only veggies, we can post pictures of the baby rabbits, fawns, birds, snakes and the millions of other creatures killed by farm equipment every year. Most people have no clue or how food is harvested and gets to the table.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Trapperbob, nice pic of a beautiful cat! I agree with you. I've read AKPM's treads before and never really said anything, although I often disagree with his view points. After reading the post I couldn't help but think why the complaint? There are thousands of hunting shows/DVD that show a deer walking along, and then BLAM-O dead as a door nail. So what’s the difference? Why post here in the trapping forum, and not complain about hunting videos and such in the hunting forum? ........Here is a recent pic for all to enjoy. Live cat........trap included (#3 coil spring).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1269.jpg  
    Last edited by LuJon; 12-05-2008 at 20:07. Reason: Say what you want but attack the post not the poster!-LuJon

Trapperbob, I was like you and wasn't going to respond. The only response I can give now is that you summed it up nicely.

WaterWolf, that's the same thing I was thinking about all the other pics.,
    and having to be a member to see the trapping forum.

Fisherman222, you are correct about the other sites. Funny how it get's mentioned here and a couple are posted, and some start freaking out. Good thing they haven't been to Trapperman.

akjeff, I liked your post also. We have too many folks that were shielded from such things when they were growing up that now we have a plethora of extremists that only see their way as the correct way.

In all guys thanks for putting my thoughts up there for me. +1 for all. I don't know that I could have held back my thoughts for the guy that started this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast