Thread: 329pd reload error?

Default 329pd reload error?

A friend of mine sent me this link to another forum discussing a potential re-load error and a 329pd. Very interesting picture of what is left of the gun. Thought I would post it here for those of you who are interested.

http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=33&t=66328

Curious on your thoughts?

Hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

he apperently did something wrong,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

That looks like a very classic case of a double charge of a fast powder, but in reading the postings he claims his load was a 200 gr. XTP over 27 gr. H110. Somebody there posted a question of whether he lodged a bullet in the barrel, but you can see that the only major damage was to the cylinder and top strap. If he'd lodged a bullet and then fired a hot load behind that, we'd most likely see tremendous barrel damage.

Maybe it's possible that he's right about the loads, and that the cylinder was weak at that particular spot, either through an excessively hot load he'd fired at some prior point, or maybe weak from the factory (or both). And then it just decided to let go at that time. Who knows...

Mike

I had a very similar occurrence a few years ago with a .45 Colt Mountain Gun.

The recoil and report were not unusual, which makes me question whether it was a double charge or not. I was using Unique, so it's possible it was a double charge.

An engineer colleague who shoots and reloads extensively thought it may have been a slightly worn cylinder stop.

I can't say; I can say a good revolver bit the dust.

I can also say that my large bore double action revolvers are now all Rugers and my reloads are now all done on a single stage press.

YMMV.

Default underload?

I found the posts suggesting an underload most interesting. We'll probably never know what happened unless Smith & Wesson finds something out of ordinary with the metallurgy.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Default Less margin for error

What light weight Ruger double action large bore do you carry?

Lighter weight guns are by their very nature less forgiving that a heavy gun - a Ruger weight is nearly twice that of a S&W. If you want a strong gun get one of the S&W .460s - lots of metal there - I haven't heard of a cylinder letting go on one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
    I had a very similar occurrence a few years ago with a .45 Colt Mountain Gun.

I can also say that my large bore double action revolvers are now all Rugers and my reloads are now all done on a single stage press.

YMMV.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Those Airlights are NOT built for everyday shooting. The titanium cylinder wont take the pounding. They are made as a ultralight take with you everyplace gun and the best on the market for that.

I have one of these in 357 and I have a suspicion what may have gone on. The recoil has a tendency to unseat the bullets if they are not very tight in the case. Every shot extracts the other rounds a bit more and in my case the last round would not index. With the bullet sitting lose there is a chance it could get turned so it sticks a bit between the forcing tube and cylinder then you would have an over pressure. He said he checked for bullet creep and did not double up, or hot load, but if I was looking for a new gun thats what I would say in public too.

Just a thought.

And I agree 100% on the S&W460, I love my big baby!