Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti's

Default Anti's

Trying to get a feel on what I should do about some anti's. I've been trapping an area for about 5 years and only see an occasional snowmachine traveling through. This weekend, some wacko x-country skiers came through and found my snares. They stole 2 of them (left me a note stating as much) and closed the remainder of the snares they found. The snares were pretty easy to find since they were set on my snowmachine trail. I pulled the snares off my snowmachine trail thinking these fools might be back, and was just going to let it pass, but today I was back there and noticed the wolves came through last night. I now feel these tree huggers got the last laugh (along with the wolves). Should I notify the Troopers or let it pass and consider it a lesson learned.

Default troopers

Adam it sounds as though you have been using the area and been mostly alone for 5 years, which means your well off the beaten path. I say contact the troopers, not much they can do about it, but they do need to know about it. And then go up and set it up again.

What did the note say?

Unfortunately your probably not going to get the action your looking for from the troopers, but you have to do your part and at least make a report and then see what happens.

I'd report it as well. You never know, this may not be an isolated incident and they may already have some suspects. Good luck.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Definite report. Don't expect justice, but as the police accumulate such reports, if there is a pattern developing they will be able to see it. And if they have the note, they will have some evidence that can be used if the perps are ever caught.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

-report it the the troopers in case the dude starts bragging about stealing traps in letters to the editor or something stupid

-set traps far off from trails that other folks (like cross country skiers with dogs) might use, your catch will improve and you'll have less problems you'll just have to expend a bit more energy (use snowshoes or walk xc skiers will follow ski and snowmobile tracks but almost never follow post holes or snowshoe tracks). XC skiers like snowmachines more than you'd think cause they make trails that we can go a long ways on pretty fast
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default tampered traps

Make no hesitation about it . File a report as soon as possiable . The perpetrator will strike again .

Report it, my experience with trap theft is that the troopers take it seriously and will do what they can. If you don't report it they can do nothing. I too have had traps and snares stolen and tampered with, the troopers will investigate and weather or not they find the thief, their presence will help you in the long run.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yup report it. and as you have a note of admission, should they get caught you can most defiantly get them on harassment not to mention theft..

dingles like that will be back to see if they made you move..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Stand you're ground!!!

I would file the report and give the troops the note. I also agree on moving you're sets back off the trail a bit. Good luck with the rest of you're season.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Trying to get a feel on what I should do about some anti's. I've been trapping an area for about 5 years and only see an occasional snowmachine traveling through. This weekend, some wacko x-country skiers came through and found my snares. They stole 2 of them (left me a note stating as much) and closed the remainder of the snares they found. The snares were pretty easy to find since they were set on my snowmachine trail......Should I notify the Troopers or let it pass and consider it a lesson learned.
    1) Call the Troopers. Those people committed a crime.

2) Consider it a lesson learned, as well. The lesson?: Consider getting a trail cam or two to help the Troopers put the right mojo on those bozos.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    -report it the the troopers in case the dude starts bragging about stealing traps in letters to the editor or something stupid

-set traps far off from trails that other folks (like cross country skiers with dogs) might use, your catch will improve and you'll have less problems you'll just have to expend a bit more energy (use snowshoes or walk xc skiers will follow ski and snowmobile tracks but almost never follow post holes or snowshoe tracks). XC skiers like snowmachines more than you'd think cause they make trails that we can go a long ways on pretty fast

It sounds like the trail is his. AKPM, it's common to set snares in the trail YOU make. I do it all the time. By setting off of your snowmachine, you make no disturbance in the trail.

Default Trail cam

The law is on your side, as long as you are following the regulations. If your line is well clear of established trails and non-trapping recreation areas reset a couple of your snares in the same area, as bait. Then set up a trail cam. This person is probably very proud of what they did. I would be willing to bet they will return for more. It will not be hard to catch them on camera. This way if they start bragging about their victory, you will be able to brag about yours. As advised earlier make sure you snares are clear of common well used trails.

I second the trail cams and wouldn't hesitate to file a report either. If they do catch him follow through even if it means taking time to testify against him. The more of them that show up in the police blotter the less likely they are to mess with someone else.
    Chuck

Do not set off the trail, continue setting how you have. Move off the trail, you will lose the trail. Report it to the troopers. I second the trail cam idea, or set up a stake out. It is illegal what they are doing. Dog mushers and skiers (shouldn't have to put a cop out here, but I will....and I have friends that do both) do not own the trails. Maybe consider marking the trail as a trapline with traps and snares in the trail. May or may not help.

In oriantation class for trapping on the Kenai Rufuge this year: Gary Titus from the Refuge said they had some one do this last year. They set up cameras and put two troopers on it for days. He said they got the guy and a conviction.

Dont take it. Do something about. Turn them in.

Either way, bum deal. Hope the rest of your season goes better.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AK4Life View Post
    ......Gary Titus from the Refuge said they had some one do this last year. They set up cameras and put two troopers on it for days. He said they got the guy and a conviction.........
    That's good to read.

From my last stint on a grand jury, I can say that all the cameras set up everywhere is making a difference.

It's tough for a criminal to say he didn't do it when a jury is watching video footage of him while he's doing it.

Cameras convict.

As many have said, report it.

Secondly, take care of yourself. What I mean by that, is some of the wackos that will do these environmental / animal rights type things; can and will escalate their efforts in to hurting those they take "issue" with.

While I was still in the Marine Corps, I wanted to teach a class on booby traps adding in some more current info in to the course-ware with the Vietnam Era info the Marine Corps was still teaching at the time and had in the training manuals.

So I did my research, and guess where I found most of my updated information? Environmental groups and animal rights groups. And some of the stuff that they had come up with, was just as lethal and nasty as anything an enemy of our country has ever used on us.

An example was a mine designed by one group around a shotgun shell, buried on a trail that would explode when ran over by an ATV tire. I was pretty shocked at what these people were willing to do and had come up with.

So take care of yourself and maintain situational awareness. Hopefully, this was just an isolated incident.

keep us posted on what happens. I want to chuckle at the idiots if they get caught

Default wasn't gonna weigh in on this...

...but wanted to offer a couple observations.

First, just like a newspaper article it's impossible from Adam's initial post to get all the real facts straight, so there is a lot of speculation on some things.

I don't condone anyone taking traps/snares. I want to make that clear. However, let me give an example of something that happened a while back near one of the villages.

A trapper was setting snares right in trails that were sometimes used by others for traveling purposes. There was a big dump of snow, foot and a half, and another guy (not the trapper) was breaking out the trail on a downhill section, maybe doing fifteen mph when his ski caught in one of the snares. It tore the ski off and he hurt his shoulder pretty badly going over/though the windshield, which also busted.

It is every trapper's responsibility to ensure that if sets are on a trail that is used by others that it is either well marked or noted, or better yet to get off a common trail and make sets elsewhere and post it. Homer is a pretty popular area for skiing, mushing, snowmachining, etc. I don't know the details of Adam's line, if it was posted etc. But he did say that he sees "an occasional snowmachine passing through." Well it dumps good snow there and so my first thought was about the other situation with the guy tearing his ski off and knocking his shoulder out of whack. As any of us know, if you have snares in a trail and others run it who don't know, it is gonna disable all those snares or even possibly injure someone else. And while I certainly don't condone those who took the snares, I also as a trapper don't condone making sets in trails in common use by others. Not without some kind of posting of warnings at the very least.

Again though, I don't know the details based on Adam's post but wanted to throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    en possibly injure someone else. And while I certainly don't condone those who took the snares, I also as a trapper don't condone making sets in trails in common use by others. Not without some kind of posting of warnings at the very least.

Again though, I don't know the details based on Adam's post but wanted to throw that out there.
    Mark, non of us condone setting snares on a trail used by others. Homeradam clear stated that an occasional snowmachine travels the area. He also said that he made the trail. It wasn't an established one.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't put in trail sets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast