Thread: Favorite hardwater bait for trout?

Default Favorite hardwater bait for trout?

My two fav's are shrimp and the classic single egg. (Not in combination)

Although I do use jigs and 'swedish pimples', I've had the most success with bait.

bacon works grate you don't have to rebait the hook very often

Salmon eggs on one rod, wax worms on another.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Foxie Jigs soaked in herring oil or Garlic and anise. Work well on trout amd char. If the bite is slow I will tip the jig with cut herring or cured shrimp. Works well when you have a fish cam you can watch the fish strike. This improves hooksets and allows you to successfully release most of your fish..

Default best trout bait

Power bait eggs, the red colored ones with a piece of freshly unthawed and uncooked shrimp to help them sink. Like this one!

Garlic shrimp (uncooked) soaked in light oil.

small strips of herring and raw shrimp....

green giant shoepeg corn that I doctor up with krill scent.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    green giant shoepeg corn that I doctor up with krill scent.
    I hate to be a party pooper but trout have a hard time digesting corn. It clogs up their digestive track and can kill them..

Default Jigs

I soak fuzzy grub jigs in salmon roe. The feathers hold the scent well enough that baiting isn't required again. Also, don't forget your egg shells to increase your visibility for hooksets! During the initial drop of the shells, the trout swarm too.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

"I hate to be a party pooper but trout have a hard time digesting corn. It clogs up their digestive track and can kill them.. "

When fishing with bait through the ice, killing is the usual objective not C&R.

I like to use those little cocktail shrimp. the raw ones seem to stay on the hook beter.

Wink Plenty of C&R hardwater fishing...

Fly Guy-

Your post seems to suggest that many icefisherman using bait do not practice C&R. Bait is an effective way to attract fish to strike, especially in the winter when a fishes metabolism slows down and they can be extra selective about what, when, and how often they feed.

I for one have kept very few hardwater caught fish (excluding pike), and I use plenty of bait. Roe, herring, shrimp, salmon, troutbait, siberian shrimp...

I believe its how you treat the fish once it's on the ice that has the greatest impact on the fishes survival, not whether you fish with bait or not. Of course, a good hookset on the take is effective as well as opposed to letting the fish swallow the bait....

A good read about C&R fish on the ice:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42593

Just my .02

Cheers!

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    I hate to be a party pooper but trout have a hard time digesting corn. It clogs up their digestive track and can kill them..
    This is a classic Kokanee bait. The white shoepeg corn resembles a grub, and for whatever reason, they like the krill scent. Kokanee are plankton eaters.

Brian

Question Any proof that corn kills fish?

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    I've heard this all my life, and always just accepted it as true. In Wyoming, it is illegal to even possess corn while fishing, and I believe it's unlawful to use in some other states as well. But I also know it is a killer trout bait and used a lot where legal. I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen evidence (first-hand, reports, whatever) showing that corn kills fish. I found one study, linked below, that suggests the opposite. So I don't know what to think.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/p.../corn_chum.htm

That said, I'm about 50/50 between lures/spoons and bait. I've had good luck using a single mealworm or waxworm on a jighead or small jig. I also use cocktail shrimp, eggs, and herring. And like AKanders, I practice C&R almost exclusively through the ice (except for pike and an occasional stocker trout for the frying pan).

I don't know why I don't use Powerbait more often. I always carry some with me, but never think to use it. My buddy considers it his secret weapon for trout and catches a lot... guess I'm jsut a slow learner sometimes.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.