Thread: Favorite King set up

Default Favorite King set up

I know its only December but it is not to early to think about spring and summer fishing. a few more weeks and the days start getting longer! Question is what is your favorite King set up for river fishing from a boat? Favoirte colors? Lures? Line? Rod?

Default Bait

My favorite king rig is about 3-4 oz. of weight back bouncing and a bait of eggs with a spinglow or cheater,or sometimes just eggs. Fish-on!!!!!!!!!!!! Set the meat grabber.

Thumbs up favorite set up

For a rod, I definetly like this 8'6 griggs that I have. For a reel, I got this awesome shimano corvalus for christmas a couple years back, and that has still never failed me. For line, I like trilene 30 lb test. And for a lure, i've got this sweet wiggle wart thats brite red with some shiny chrome specs on it. Oh yea, and its NEVER to early to talk about kings.

Man, it is threads like this that have me sitting in the garage in my boat setting up new rigs and shining stuff up for the next warm season! **** I love the Alaskan summers. Next May can't come soon enough, but in the meantime, here's my favorite king setup:

Shimano Cardiff 300A reel
    Lamiglass 8'6" heavy-action rod
    30-lb test SpiderWire line
    Pink #6 vibrax with silver flash for cloudy days
    Blue #6 vibrax with silver flash for clear days

This snazzy little setup has pulled plenty of the kings into my boat for 3 seasons without fail.

Tell us how you like to fish... free-drifting bait, pitching hardware (spoons/spinners/plugs), backtrolling diver/bait vs plugs, backbouncing, bobber and bait.

There's an appropriate rod for each application, perhaps a few rods that would serve a dual purpose, but no way you can really cover all those presentations with one stick. Sometimes a specific rod will excel depending on where in the boat (rod position) it will be fishing.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kenai King?

Is that a picture of a Kenai King?

Default I like

8'6" Xtra Hvy Ugly Stick, Abu Garcia Record 60 High Capacity, 50lb Power Pro. I know it's not very conventional but I love throwing a K-15 Kwik Fish. I catch the majority of my kings this way. I have my favorite one that is silver with a little chartruse on it, it's gettin real ugly from gettin chewed on for a couple of years not, but it just keeps on catching and catching and catching! I usually catch fish when no one else in my boat does. Sometimes I like sitting and back bouncing a Kfish or Wigglewart. Of course there is always the good ole #6 Vibrax.

I dig a 10wt spey rod with some type VIII sink tip and a big old intruder closely followed by a 8wt single hander with a 400 grain sink tip and a lip spreader wooly bugger or a nicholai's superfantastic the king fly
    also nymphing with a skykomish sun rise sure is fun as well
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm a king amateur, but so far I like drifting eggs/SNG's. Caught 2 kings (2 of us over a 2 day period) 2 summers ago (not big; 30 lbs) this way. Haven't got the knack of backtrolling or bouncing yet; drifting seems a little more relaxing to me and I can actually fish instead of being just the driver.
    Doc mentioned different rods for different sceanarios; I bought a couple of Ugly stick extra heavy combo's from TW couple years ago, but they're too heavy and not sensitive enough for drifting so we got those kings on our red rods---med. baitcasters with Ambassador 6500's with 30 lb. line. Had a blast!
    BTW, the kings bit on eggs & store-rigged SNG's (TW). Bright orange & Clown SNG's.
    Jim

I love to back troll with my lucky old quickfish about 7 ft behind a jet diver. Silver with black butt and I drill out where the front hook dose and fill it full of herring oil procure mix, then plug the hole with a small peace of sponge. Try it you won't regrate it. But only if bait is open

Just about anything in front of a C3 Fly... purple, green or white depending upon time of year and depth targeting. I used to think they were only good for trolling or mooching in the salt, but the darn things are doing exceedingly well on an 8 wt fly or 10 wt spey rod too...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd rather back bounce a king out with an 8'6" to 9" rod than anything else, but my goto method for consistent production is a 10'6" GL2 with 80lb power pro, and a pink cheater followed by a delicious gob of king eggs.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    I'd rather back bounce a king out with an 8'6" to 9" rod than anything else, but my goto method for consistent production is a 10'6" GL2 with 80lb power pro, and a pink cheater followed by a delicious gob of king eggs.
    He's lying, he would much rather just pull up right next to me, drop in his lines and hit a king on anything he throws in the water, seems to work everytime!

Default Noodle

It's usually too crowded to noodle for kings here, but I've done it down south with a my 12 foot Loomis rod and light line. It lookes like the McDonalds Arches with a fish on.

Smile kings

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    a lip spreader wooly bugger or a nicholai's superfantastic the king fly
    Second that....but i stick my regular 12wt flyrod

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Tell us how you like to fish... free-drifting bait, pitching hardware (spoons/spinners/plugs), backtrolling diver/bait vs plugs, backbouncing, bobber and bait.

There's an appropriate rod for each application, perhaps a few rods that would serve a dual purpose, but no way you can really cover all those presentations with one stick. Sometimes a specific rod will excel depending on where in the boat (rod position) it will be fishing.
    We will be fishing the Kenai and mostly drifting. I have just bought an 8ft Ugly Stick that came highly recommended.

8 and a half foot Lamiglas Kenai Killer with a Penn 6500 reel, 30lb test, a spin n glo or cheater - color adjusted for conditions - and a big Ol glob of eggs. I use a diver when back trolling and lead when drifting or back bouncing. The Kenai Killer works ok for all three styles of fishing for me......although I also run a couple of Kenai Kings from time to time and they seem to work just fine too. I have an ugly stick that I have caught lord knows how many silvers on over the years and that has survived a couple of step ons and door closing incidents so it is what I give to people who don't know(or care) what they are doing as they can do very little damage to the gear, themselves or the fish - its always fun to fish with the in-laws.

I have tried a couple of the Loomis rods with good results but have not bought any as I have a lot of Lamiglas rods already and my wife would probably use me for Halibut bait if I bought any more rods.