Thread: Air Taxis booking solid:

Exclamation Air Taxis booking solid:

Air Taxis booking solid:

Hi guys. Its that time of year when I ring the alarm bell letting you know that many of the flight services are booking solid. Jim Kincaid at NW Aviation is almost full and Eric Sieh is getting close. I know that there are a few other flight services up here and I donít know what they look like but please keep in mind that every year I have to turn a few groups away because they wait to book flights of gear until the spring time.

If your looking at a hunt in unit 23 drop me a line as the 09 season is fast approaching and we need to finalize your needs ASAP.

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue

Guess the economy ain't so bad after all. Air taxis in other parts of the state are takin in plenty of bookings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Guess the economy ain't so bad after all. Air taxis in other parts of the state are takin in plenty of bookings as well.
    Perhaps
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Just talked to Jim Kincaid and Eric Sieh and both said they are booked for next fall. Hmmm. Those were my first two choices. I'm not real excited about flying with a couple of the other seasonal charters so I'm not sure who to try next. Does anyone else up their fly by the hour? If not I'm thinking about going out of Bettles.

Thumbs up BRA

Out of Bettles...Brooks Range Avaition.
    This time of year they will be in AZ.
    Phone numbers are in the archives...or I'll try to PM you later...

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default BRA

If your interested in flying out of Bettles for a caribou hunt, I would suggest that you call Brooks Range Aviation at 1 800 692-5443, which should ring to them in Casa Grande, AZ. Their AK number is 907 692-5444.
    His airplanes ain't new and pretty but he has a lifetime of safe flying experience.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I think Bettles Lodge also offers transporter services.
    You will likely havbe a better experience flying out of Bettles. Less crowds. If you fly into unit 26 there is a higher non res bag limit as well. On caribou that is.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks Dennis. I talked to Judy at BRA last month, she was very helpfull.

Bettles was originally my choice, but after jockeying things around I could pull off Kotz quite a bit cheaper. With some of those Kotz plans not working out, the price difference between Kotz and Bettles is under $200. I'll definately pay that to avoid the crowds.

I tried getting ahold of Mary at Bettles Logde, but she was out of town for a week or two. Now that I'm back to Bettles, I'll make sure and try her again. From talking with Judy at BRA, the two air services communicate with each other on a regular basis to avoid dropping clients on top of each other. Thats very nice to hear.

Thanks guys

Default Caribou Success Rate

I'm more into success rate then crowd. We've never had a crowd issue hunting out of Kotzebue. With the limits that the Park Service put on the transporters it should be even less crowded. I've researched Bettles success rates and hear they are more like 50-60%. Fly twice to get the animal and it ends up costing way more in the long run. Kotzebue is my choice.

BRA said their success rate has been running around 90% for the last five or six years. At that five or six year mark they had a couple bad years when the caribou just didn't start moving until very late in the year.

I'm only really aware of 5 charter services out of Kotz and one of those might have already retired. Those are Hageland, Northwest Aviation, RAM, NAT, and Arctic Circle Air. Two of those are booked and two I won't fly with, so that really only leaves one more option in Kotz for me to try on Monday. If anyone know of other services flying in Kotz let me know, I'd still be interested in talking to them.

You could check with Buck. I thought he had retired too, but saw him on the Wulik in mid Sept this year. Still flying. He took me on my first float trip. Great guy and with 40 years experience, knows the area like the back of his hand. Says now he is doing "fishing charters". Smiling real big while he said it. He stood around for half the day while some guys were fishing. Not sure what other kind of work he is doing, but it would be worth calling him to ask. He knows the area better than anyone, that is for sure. From what I remember, he spends winter in PA and the rest of the year in Kotz. Below are the numbers.

Buck Maxson Aviation (Arctic Air Guide Flying Svcs)
    Shinglehouse, PA
    814-698-2409

Kotz number...
    907-442-3030

Proof he is still flying

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Kotzebue air taxi's

Buck did retire from charter flying. I saw him in Kotzebue as well and had a few drinks with him. He was doing a few guided fishing trips. As far as Arctic circle air go's, they don't fly out of Kotzebue. There is only the 4 outfits. Ram, Nat, NW, Hag. I talked to Jay in Bettles at the airport in August and he said on the average for their entire hunts it was at about 60% success rate. He said sometimes the caribou come through and sometimes they don't. He said they get a lot of personal hunters with their own airplanes from Fairbanks that beat the sky's around there and in the brooks where they go. Getting more and more personal planes up there every year.