Thread: Stump Set

Default Stump Set

I don't hear many talk about this set at all. I read about it in the Alaska Trappers Manual and found a good spot to set one up last weekend. For an attractor I used a grouse wing and a bridger #3 for the trap. I didn't use scent or bait but I have seen lynx tracks along the main trail 20 feet away. Has anyone had any luck with this set for lynx. Thoughts or suggestions welcome.

I havent heard of the stump set. But I caught my Lynx by setting cubbies just off my trails using grouse wings and carcass pieces in the cubbie for bait. Do you have a picture of the stump set? I am curious to see it.

Default Yes

I've caught Lynx, Marten, and one really dumb fox using that set. I remember as a kid watching my dad take quite a few lynx with that set up.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will take a picture of the set this weekend and post it. I'm afraid I might have hung the wing too far off the ground. It's really up there, maybe 6' off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will take a picture of the set this weekend and post it. I'm afraid I might have hung the wing too far off the ground. It's really up there, maybe 6' off the ground.
    maybe the cat will wander in and try to jump to bat at it and them bam, its caught... I met a dude in juneau who never used cubbies for marten he'd just hang a rag with anise oil from a tree like 5 feet over a high spot and put the trap on the high spot the critter would come in and try to jump for the rag...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Here's my stump set. Over the week most of the snow melted and froze solid. When I set the trap I covered it with snow, obviously its all gone now. Critiques?

Default ???

Shoot Grem it looks good to me, I'd go for it!! What the heck???

I forgot about that set, but when I was in my teens I'd use that set. Thanks for the reminder. I found a few sites for that set today and plan on trying it several ways. I'm going to mix it up a little for fun and try them with differant attracters like flagging, cds, wings, christmas ornaments; lure and no lure. Just think it will be fun to see how the curiousity will catch the cat.

Default lynx set

You got it right WG - and no your wing bait isn't too high - maybe a little too low? You want them cats to step onto your stump trying to jump up.

Thanks bushboy. As far as too high maybe the picture is deceiving, the wing is a solid 5' above the trap. I am 6'3" and I'm almost eye level with the wing.

Keep em coming

I'd put a snare on that big log, as well.