Thread: Goose Creek/Susitna Spring Bear

Default Goose Creek/Susitna Spring Bear

Anyone every hunt this area for spring bear? We were out there this fall and it looked like it might be accessible via snowmachine on the rivers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i used to fish lower goose creek a lot as a kid i do know the lower end is mostly privatly owned.

it should be a good area for blackies.. if you can get access..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you are baiting on the lower end it can be tough to get a mile from the cabins and houses in the area. Very few spots along the entire thing that you are more than a mile from a cabin or house. By the time the bears are out in full force, around Mothers Day, you won't be able to snowmobile in there.

should have been more specific, I was referring to Goose Creek way up in Unit 13 where it drains into the Susitna River (south of the Denali Highway).

Yep I was talking of the Goose Creek on the Parks Highway at around mile 93 or so.

I've never heard of the other Goose Creek. However, we have rarely shot black bears when snowmobiles can be run. It happens, but not very often.

Now we are talking grizzlies I bet they are in there. It's a long ride, though

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Yep I was talking of the Goose Creek on the Parks Highway at around mile 93 or so.

I've never heard of the other Goose Creek. However, we have rarely shot black bears when snowmobiles can be run. It happens, but not very often.

Now we are talking grizzlies I bet they are in there. It's a long ride, though
    yup me too....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wow, seems like a lot of work for a black bear. I'm curious, would you put in with a jet boat on the Susitna, off the Denali hwy and run the 50 or so miles down to where the Goose creek (your speaking of) dumps in?

We got off on the black bear tangent because we thought he was talking about Goose Creek off the Parks highway. Since he is talking about the Goose Creek out by the Oshetna, he must be talking about griz. It's a long ride in there from Eureka, but I bet there are bears in there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I was in there this fall moose hunting and it looked like a good spot for grizz. Was thinking one could access it on snow machine either from the denali or lake louise.