Thread: Tikka and Kimber price and weight differences?

Default Tikka and Kimber price and weight differences?

I am going to buy a 300wsm in a tikka t3 lite or a kimber montana. I know that there is a big price difference. I am going to take it Caribou hunting in Kotz and Elk hunting in New Mexico. My question is: Is the weight difference between the two going to be significant enough to out weigh the price difference?

how heavy is the tikka?

I have the Kimber catalog in front of me right now because I am looking for a new rifle as well.

The Kimber Montana in 300WSM is 6lbs 3oz.

I dont know much about the Tikka, but the kimber has the CRF and 3 position safety like the Win mod 70. Those are very important features to me.

Good Luck

The tikka specs say that it weighs 6 3/8 lbs. I compared the two at Cabela's a couple of months ago and the Kimber felt much lighter.

The Tikka is heavier because all of them are built on a long action receiver. Lots of comments on them in the archives.

There have been failure to feed issues reported in the Kimbers in the short mags. Between that and the price I went Tikka and never looked back.

Default Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    The Tikka is heavier because all of them are built on a long action receiver. Lots of comments on them in the archives.

There have been failure to feed issues reported in the Kimbers in the short mags. Between that and the price I went Tikka and never looked back.
    With the Tikka being as reliable as it is and the additional cost of the Kimber, +1 for Tikka. Mine has never let me down.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

There has also been some questions regarding the Kimber QC as of late with more than a few reports of accuracy problems. By enlarge they are a great product though. I couldn't justify the giant leap in price over the Tikka. My Tikka 270 WSM is the single smoothest bolt action I have ever cycled! The Mag feed is absolute butter so much so in fact the first time I put a round in the chamber I pulled it back 1/2 way out to visually verify it actually fed a round! Oh and I beat the SNOT out of my rifles with the tikka I don't cry about getting a blem on it.

I have had several problematic Kimbers and I have never had a Tikka. For the price, I think that I may be done with Kimbers and would consider the Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I have had several problematic Kimbers and I have never had a Tikka. For the price, I think that I may be done with Kimbers and would consider the Tikka.
    Curious what kind of problems?

Not to jack this thread, but I am also looking at a new Kimber. I am very curious to hear what people think about them.

If you're considering the Tikka, take a good look at the better made cousin the Sako Finnlight first.

Default No....

To answer your question: No, the weight difference is not worth paying the extra bucks. Not in my opinion for the hunting scenarios you described.

I've owned three Kimbers, two being Montanas and one Classic. I also own one Tikka T3 stainless. Also dealt with my best friends Tikka T3 stainless in 270WSM.

Personally the Kimber stocks fit me better and I like the balance and pointability (there's a word for the day!) of the Kimber vs Tikka. But, thats me and my body.

The Tikka comes with an accuracy guarantee, the Kimber does not. Take it from me, and others on here will back me up: Not all Kimbers shoot well, and many certainly don't shoot worth the thousand buck range you pay. Some shoot like a million bucks, some don't shoot worth a hundred bucks!

It comes down to fit and features to decide which one is worth the money, in my opinion. I like CRF and three position safety. I don't like the removable mag of the Tikka. The removable mag was one of the big selling features for my friend, he loves it and the rest of his Tikka.

For sure I recommend you go and handle both the Kimber and Tikka. Hold them, shoulder them, work the actions, fondle them, study them, etc. I bet one will win you over more than the few ounces difference after you've spent some quality time with them!

I have owned 4 Tikka T3 Lites and 1 Kimber Montana, the Kimber is the only one of the 5 that I still own. In fact I sold two Tikkas to buy the Kimber. I am not gonna get into my personal reasons for liking the Kimber more than the Tikka so I will just agree with Ozarks and tell you to think about and research the features each gun has (thy ar very different) and what each gun offers and then go fondle em, one of them will grab you more than the other.

I'll throw you a few FFT's , here are 4 things that the Kimber has that the Tikka doesn't

CRF
    3 position Safety
    The ability to quickly refill the gun from the top (like most rifles)
    Very durable and high quality stock (Not Plastic)

I have a Tika T3 300WSM and love it. I will buy another one(270WSM).