Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake job, or?

Default Brake job, or?

I'm contemplating whether having a brake put on my 338WM or getting a 30-06 instead.

I'm a lefty, so off the shelf deals can be hard to find at times and I'm having a hard time getting the gun shops to give me a price on the 30-06 I want. So I'm thinking of talking to Stan Jackson about a brake job on my Savage Weather Warrior.

The deal is this, my doc says that my rheumatoid arthritis is at the point that I need to do whatever I can to protect my joints from injury or further damage. That's got me thinking I don't need to be pounding my shoulder with the 338 anymore and putting a brake on or going to a 30-06 is the way to go.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

Ken

NW Florida, but pointing the truck NW soon

Default Get the 06

My dad is... well he's 100% disabled. He has arthritis so bad that he can't hardly move... until deer season comes around. Then he manages to climb up into his box stand a few days a year. He used to shoot a 30/06, but even the recoil on that would bring him to tears after just a couple rounds. He'd been telling me he wanted a .280 for years, but I knew the recoil would still be more than his shoulder could take. So I bought him a .280 Rem 700 SS w/detachable box magazine. I stuck a Leupold VXIII on it, did a trigger job, bedded the barrel and had it ported for him. Merry Christmas Dad. Don't get me wrong, the thing is an absolute tack driver now and even a 5 year old could shoot it with the brake.... BUT the friggin muzzle blast, overpressure, whatever you want to call it... is absolutely horrendous. I shot a big doe with it 4-5 years back out of his box stand and it felt like someone had whacked me right between the eyes with a sledge hammer. Dad loves it, but I can't stand to be around it when it goes off. Maybe it's the particular brake I had put on it (don't remember the name), but it's unGodly loud.

If you can handle the 30/06, I'd say just go with it and call it good. No sense having arthritis AND being deaf.

You should look at Limbsavers. Also You can probably just change your barrel out and maybe find a barrel with the Savage comp all ready on it.

Start with a limbsaver, I can shoot my all day after putting one on.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Nomogas View Post
    If you can handle the 30/06, I'd say just go with it and call it good. No sense having arthritis AND being deaf.
    Thanks nomo. Sounds like you understand where I'm at with my "problem."

Funny thing, I am somewhat deaf too. I spent a good portion of my adult life as a grunt in the Marine Corps.

My only experience with a "brake" was an Israeli made 50 cal sniper rifle the IDF let me play with, but that was before the first Gulf War.

I've got a limb saver on it.

The problem being, is in my last physical, I didn't have any tendon reflexes anymore, which made the doc say that I had tendon involvement in the disease and that I need to further protect my joints from tendon rupture. His comment was, some tendons are not repairable and some tendon damage is not repairable. That kind of spooked me.

I want to continue to shoot / hunt, but I don't want to risk the loss of the use of a limb over it. So I think the more progressive I can be in reducing the recoil, the safer I am with my situation. It just a question of what do I need to do to be able to do it safely without having to give it up totally. I don't know that answer and I'm not sure anyone does. I do think recoil reduction is a starting point though.

Which brings me to this point. I'm not finding much interest from the gun shops I've spoken to so far in ordering in a left handed Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06. Sportsman's in Was actually insists that Savage doesn't make one. Most of the other shops want to get the info on what you want, then call you back. I'm still waiting on the call backs.

So, I was thinking along the lines of just installing a break on the 338 I have. A few of the muzzle brake web sites say a braked 338 is about the recoil of a 270. I think at this point, I can physically handle the recoil of a 270.

I think the caliber for my hunting purposes is probably between 30-06 and 338WM.

I have written Savage about buying one of their barrels with the brake on it. Savage no longer replies to email requests, so I'm waiting on the answer.

Default they lie

having a brake is fine and dandy, but it's not going to take the recoil from a 338 and make it seem like a 270, maybe like a 300 Win mag. I put one on a BAR 300 and it shot like a 243, hardly any kick, and I have one on my weatherby 300 and it shoots like an 06. The guys who sell brakes dramatically overstate what reduction it will have, a good butt pad, with a muzzle brake and you will be sitting in the 280 range if you're lucky... get the 06 put a brake and pad on it and you will be living the good life.

NW Florida, but pointing the truck NW soon

Default 7mm mag?

Ableammo has some left handed 7mm mags... would that work? The 270s, 30/06s, etc are all out of stock, unless you want to go to a WSM. You might try emailing or calling them though. They are right about the limbsaver though... it makes a ton of difference. I put one on a 300 Wby Mag I had and it made a ton of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    having a brake is fine and dandy, but it's not going to take the recoil from a 338 and make it seem like a 270, maybe like a 300 Win mag. I put one on a BAR 300 and it shot like a 243, hardly any kick, and I have one on my weatherby 300 and it shoots like an 06. The guys who sell brakes dramatically overstate what reduction it will have, a good butt pad, with a muzzle brake and you will be sitting in the 280 range if you're lucky... get the 06 put a brake and pad on it and you will be living the good life.
    Thanks BAR, I suspected the results reported were overstated by the manufacturers.

Rheumatoid athritis tends to be a progressive disease. I would recommend switching to a 30-06 with a limbsaver recoil pad and a muzzle brake.

I like the brake up a 06 along with a limb saver. Might just be the ticket for me.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, I can understand your concern here and you certainly have my sympathy, but I have to be honest and tell you that if you have a gun that your really happy with, and it shoots good, why not just step down to 180 grain bullets and push them out of your 338 at about 3000 fps or so? Remember that mass of the projectile, and of course the acceleration of said projectile are key components in the effect of felt recoil. With a 180 grain bullet at 3000 fps your still in respectable territory for game getting, and are on paper at least, ahead of the 06 in both velocity and energy but not by so much that recoil will be prohibitive. It’s at least worth a try, and if the recoil is still to much, then you can consider a recoil brake or perhaps one of those mercury recoil reducers.

If you do decide to get a brake, do yourself a HUGE favor and have your gunsmith make a knurled nut so that you can take the brake off and replace it with the nut for hunting, yet still use the brake for bench work.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Get yourself a brake. I tried the limbsaver and it helped but not enough. I have a Ruger 338wm that I braked due to an accident that left my right arm and shoulder seeing better days. The braked 338 is even if not easier shooting than my 270w. I would rather shoot that than any of my other guns.
    Now the noise can be a little bothersome for people next to you. While hunting I tend not to notice it, but I don't notice any of my guns when there is a critter in my sights. Hope this helps.
    Henry Bowman for President

I sighted a .338WM in for a friend of mine that was chopped to 20" and braked by Stan Jackson. The recoil was positively tame but the muzzle blast was entirely out of this world.

I did watch a friend shoot it a few times. No movement whatsoever- I was very much surprised. I'd be leery shooting a braked .338 near other people however- the risk of permanently damaging hearing is very real with these things.

I'd be trying to load some .338s down as suggested- probably your cheapest route initially and I'd likely brake a rifle I already had and liked vs. buying another.

I have one of the 3 inch screw on brakes. A guy in North Pole did it for me. I absolutely love it. It really took the kick out of my 300wby. If there is an increase in noise, I have never noticed. I wear hearing protection, so I have not noticed. My partners have not complained either. I certainly have never noticed in the field. The break saved me from selling the rifle. It was miserable to shoot. One shot and I was bruised and I am not prone to bruising easy. My brother was calling me a wimp until he shot it. Got thrown off (jumped) the bench and had a nice scope cut to boot. He still will not shoot it even with the break (wimp). Anyway, now it is a dream to shoot. I agree that I think the amount of recoil reduction is overstated by the manufacturers, but at least mine works very well. Good luck and good hunting.

If you hand load, try reducing the bullet weight and amount of powder used in your loads before you try adding a break. For .338, the 185 TSX would be a good bullet to use.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Look at a mercury recoil reducer for the stock in combination with a Limbsaver or Decelerator pad. If that is not enough reduction on recoil, then consider the muzzlebrake. Not thinking about the mercury system, I braked a 300WSM and used a Limbsaver. The M70 Fwt shoots like a 243.

Default accuracy

I am reading a book called Hunting Hard in Alaska and the author says that the brakes decrease the accuracy of a rifle that has a brake on it. Has anyone experienced loss of accuracy on a braked rifle? I have a brake on my browning (BOSS) and it shoots very nice - very loud, but it is at or under a minute of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    If you hand load, try reducing the bullet weight and amount of powder used in your loads before you try adding a break. For .338, the 185 TSX would be a good bullet to use.
    There are also commercial havings in managed/reuced recoil ammunition. Look it up on the web, and you'll find plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am reading a book called Hunting Hard in Alaska and the author says that the brakes decrease the accuracy of a rifle that has a brake on it. Has anyone experienced loss of accuracy on a braked rifle? I have a brake on my browning (BOSS) and it shoots very nice - very loud, but it is at or under a minute of accuracy.
    It depends on who puts the break on, and with what care. Sometimes guns become more accurate after a break is fit.

While I generally detest breaks due to the increased muzzleblast, they absolutely work and are a Godsend for folks who otherwise wouldn't be able to shoot. And since it sounds like a degenetrive issue, I'd go with a breaked -06, or even consider something milder like a 7-08.

I'd also add that while stepping down and breaking your hunting rifle will help, don't use it for regular practice. Get a heavy barreled 223 for practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast