Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADL to BDL

NW Florida, but pointing the truck NW soon

Default ADL to BDL

I bought a 700 ADL in 30/06 a few years back... it was on sale and I couldn't pass it up. Everybody needs a third 30/06, right? Anyway, I had a good trigger job done on it, free floated the barrel in the original stock, put some decent glass/rings/bases on it and turned it into a pretty decent shooter. It'll shoot .75-1" all day long with Sierra Gameking 165s and 4350. I like shooting it, but I always grab something else because of the unloading process. One of the things I like about it is the iron sights... even if I crush the scope, I just unscrew it and I'm up and running again. The problem is... I hate having to cycle out all the rounds when I'm finished for the day.

I saw a conversion kit where you could turn an ADL into a BDL (hinged floor plate) somewhere, but I can't remember where. Anyone have first hand experience with it? How reliable was it afterwards? Any major problems with the install? For now, it's doomed to be a backup rifle until I figure out how to put a reliable hinged floorplate on it.

Thanks.

I very strongly prefer a blind magazine to a floorplate.

When unloading your remington ADL, move the bolt forward only far enough that the cartridge is released from the magazine, pull the bolt back, then pick the cartridge out of the action with your fingers. No need to close the action on every round.

I agree that you're going backwards (heavier, more complex, more to go wrong), but it can be done pretty easily. The biggest modification is to the stock, or you need to replace the stock.

Then again there are many folks that prefer adl's to bdls, so you might be able to find someone to swap stocks and bottom metal with.

I thought about keeping it as an ADL just for the reasons you guys mentioned. The thing is... I like the ability to instantly dump my cartridges out into my palm versus having to mess with fishing the rounds out it when it's dark, raining, snowing, etc. I get what you are saying though... that's why I worried about finding a reliable conversion. I'd hate to turn a pretty decent rifle into one that isn't even suitable for a backup, or have it dump rounds out the bottom everytime I press the trigger. I guess that's why so many folks have duct tape holding their floor plates closed, huh?

So, all I'd have to do is put a BDL stock on it with the BDL magazine floor plate, spring and follower? What about the magazine box? Does it have to be switched out too?

Stay with ADL.Hope to never have so much to do that unloading my gun is a time waster.You say you are soon leaveing the fast lane well heres a start at slowing down.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

DON’T listen to these “negative Nancy boys” BDL is the ONLY way to go!

With that ADL you have to work really hard to get the satisfaction of fishing around in the mud or snow for a fist full of cartridges. And you will never know the joy and laughter (at your expense…. But that’s another story…….. I digress) as your hunting buddies retell the story of how you got “a bit” excited and jettisoned all your cartridges out the “poop chute” of your trusty boom stick and into that bog as a monster moose slowly ambled away…………….Ahhhhh…………good times!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

If the fancy hinged floor plate out of my 98 would work I'd trade you in a minute...
    I to prefer the blind magazine. I've never had a malfunction with a hinged one, just never really saw the need.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I was looking at cabella's the other day and saw they have a conversion kit to make a 700 into a magazine feed, just a thought

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    I was looking at cabella's the other day and saw they have a conversion kit to make a 700 into a magazine feed, just a thought
    So does Remington factory rifles, it's another piece of equipment to keep up with in the field.
    When loading or unloading a rifle becomes to time consuming, you need to take up something more slowly paced like golf, or chess.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Nomogas View Post
    I thought about keeping it as an ADL just for the reasons you guys mentioned. The thing is... I like the ability to instantly dump my cartridges out into my palm versus having to mess with fishing the rounds out it when it's dark, raining, snowing, etc. I get what you are saying though... that's why I worried about finding a reliable conversion. I'd hate to turn a pretty decent rifle into one that isn't even suitable for a backup, or have it dump rounds out the bottom everytime I press the trigger. I guess that's why so many folks have duct tape holding their floor plates closed, huh?

So, all I'd have to do is put a BDL stock on it with the BDL magazine floor plate, spring and follower? What about the magazine box? Does it have to be switched out too?
    I also prefer the BDL's and have never had a floor plate pop open.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    DON’T listen to these “negative Nancy boys” BDL is the ONLY way to go!

With that ADL you have to work really hard to get the satisfaction of fishing around in the mud or snow for a fist full of cartridges. And you will never know the joy and laughter (at your expense…. But that’s another story…….. I digress) as your hunting buddies retell the story of how you got “a bit” excited and jettisoned all your cartridges out the “poop chute” of your trusty boom stick and into that bog as a monster moose slowly ambled away…………….Ahhhhh…………good times!
    That is so true, and I might add, quite picturesque.

Where simple pleasures are to be enjoyed, why rob yourself for the mere cost of a floor plate?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    I also prefer the BDL's and have never had a floor plate pop open.
    Yeah, I do too and I have never had one dump on me either. There are a lot of opinionated people about the hinged floorplate, but I still prefer it over a blind magazine on a gun that will not be carried for dangerous game hunting. I'm sure I will end up carrying it in bear country on occasion, but I've got other rifles (with blind magazines) for bear hunting. I'm not so lazy or so rushed that it's mandatory for me to have a hinged floor plate... I just like them better. I just wanted to know how to make the conversion.

I figure when out in Alaska you are always in a way DG hunting or need to be prepared as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I figure when out in Alaska you are always in a way DG hunting or need to be prepared as such.
    I agree and am still not concerned on carrying a hinged over a blind mag. It all comes down to preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomogas View Post
    Yeah, I do too and I have never had one dump on me either. There are a lot of opinionated people about the hinged floorplate, but I still prefer it over a blind magazine on a gun that will not be carried for dangerous game hunting. I'm sure I will end up carrying it in bear country on occasion, but I've got other rifles (with blind magazines) for bear hunting. I'm not so lazy or so rushed that it's mandatory for me to have a hinged floor plate... I just like them better. I just wanted to know how to make the conversion.
    I just got a new flyer from Midway Arm & they have a BDL conversion from HS Percision (No I wouldn't buy THEIR product) for $225-$265 depending on caliber.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

To answer your question, you need the bottom metal (hinged floorplate itsself, integrated with trigger guard), and a magazine box. The BDL mag box is a little longer than the ADL. The original box could probably be made to work, but it's a lot easier to use the correct part.

And you'll need a new stock. Again, you could inlet your stock, but that would be a lot of work to achieve something you can buy relativley cheaply.

You can get the metal parts used if you are patient, or you can order them from Brownells or Remington. Your action screws will work fine, you just don't need the third (smallest) one.

If I were you, I'd keep it as is. Even at used prices, you're looking at $120 for the downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by cwh View Post
    To answer your question, you need the bottom metal (hinged floorplate itsself, integrated with trigger guard), and a magazine box. The BDL mag box is a little longer than the ADL. The original box could probably be made to work, but it's a lot easier to use the correct part.

And you'll need a new stock. Again, you could inlet your stock, but that would be a lot of work to achieve something you can buy relativley cheaply.

You can get the metal parts used if you are patient, or you can order them from Brownells or Remington. Your action screws will work fine, you just don't need the third (smallest) one.

If I were you, I'd keep it as is. Even at used prices, you're looking at $120 for the downgrade.
    Since there is so many ADL lovers on here, just sell it to them, I'm sure they'll off the same price as a used BDL

CWH,

Thanks... that's what I was looking for.

I just stumbled across this on a google search. It seems pretty straight forward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3EHEy5xIE

Brownells and Ebay sell the OEM parts. You have to add a new stock or alter the one you have. That may mess with the way the gone shoots...

The Remington parts are aluminium, while the do not rust, may not be as robust as steel. I did have one of the AL parts on the Ruger 77 bust somehow for my rough use.

If you are a belt and suspenders guy, you could slap a big peice of duct tape on the floorplate to secure in place when hunting.

Tha being said, I have a couple of BDL, one since 1971, that I have used quite a bit and not had any trouble with. I put together a parts gun on a 700 and liked the REM classic stock, and went with the BDL.

Hope that helps....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast