Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn carvers?

Default Horn carvers?

Hey, anyone know of a good horn carver in alaska? I have a winter kill muskoz shull/horns i want carved!....THX Dave

Default Tony

Tony Russ seems to do a very nice job...I don't know whether he is still doing it or not.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Tony Russ seems to do a very nice job...I don't know whether he is still doing it or not.......
    That is who I was going to recommend. Here is a link to his websight: http://www.tonyruss.com/images/Artwo...ldlifeArt.html
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

are you looking for scrimshaw type work or having something carved out of the horn/antler itself? i have to track down some contact info but i know someone that does scrimshaw and carves knife handles (orders the blades to make the knife). he is in anchorage. i will try and get that info for you as he doesn't run a small business that is in the yellow pages or anything, but just a hobby that he likes to do.

Give Tim Herrick a call - he used to live in Soldotna, moved down to Minnesota but still does carving - great artist - I met him last fall.

http://www.millcreeksculpture.com/tim-herrick.html

Default Alaska Horn and Antler

I have had several moose and one sheep horn carved by Tom Cooper. I like his work alot. If you would like to see some pics of some of his work let me know and I will try to get some pictures of what I have.

Thumbs up horn/antler carver...

Forum member tjmeyer is a carver.

dennis
    AK TAGS

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Forum member tjmeyer is a carver.

dennis
    AK TAGS
    +1 nice guy too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i worked with an iron worker in delta junction that carves. his name is J.R. pederson and i think his business is called the horny carver. i seen some of his work and it looks real good. he also does photography and has alot of his pictures up in the trophy lodge in delta junction. sorry i dont have his number and i didnt see a websight but if you get ahold of the trophy lodge in delta junction ill bet he is still there working on the powerplant on greely. i could get it if i made some calls. PM me if you are intrested.

Default The Horny Carver

Jr is a buddy of mine and my girlfriend is suppose to whip him up a website here in the future and put some of her collage degree to work. His number is 378-7291 and tell him mike schultz gave it to ya if your intrested.

The real value of Ox horns is for knife handles. You might get a very attractive handle and also be able to sell some of it as well.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up Tom Cooper....

I just picked up a set of sheep horns I had Tom Cooper carve for me. They are a gift to my 2 daughters. The ram was taken down the Nebesna Road in the "Boyden Hills" many years ago. My father was in his 60's at the time. Tom is an artist who is reliable and takes pride in his work.

ramhunter,

Like AlaskaTrueAdventure and Vince said, I carve horn and antler. Here is the link to my web-site http://www.customantlercreations.com

I've never carved a muskox horn, but done plenty of sheep horns. Here is a pic of a carving I just completed a couple of weeks ago.

Ted

Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Ted, We need to talk!...I like your work I have moose and sheep horns which are carved at my home and would like to add the mushox skull/horns aswell! I saw muskox horns carved at woodland taxidermy last fall it looked pretty cool.

THX for all the great info guys....much appreciated!

Here are a couple of pics from Tim Herrick's horn carving

1sheephorn7.JPG

sheep horn 11 08.JPG

those look awesome!! I have a moose shed that would be cool to have something done with

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default wow

awesome work!!! what does something like that cost to have done. Im guessing a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tjmeyer1 View Post
    ramhunter,

Like AlaskaTrueAdventure and Vince said, I carve horn and antler. Here is the link to my web-site http://www.customantlercreations.com

I've never carved a muskox horn, but done plenty of sheep horns. Here is a pic of a carving I just completed a couple of weeks ago.

Ted

TJ, looks like you're a newbie at this
    I'm in the middle (and have been for almost a year) of my first carving on a moose antler. I'll post pics of my progress after I get home so you can laugh!!

hunt_ak,

Please post a pic of your carving, I love looking at others work.

geoff156,

That carving was $250.00 I don't know what the prices of Mr. Herrick's carvings are. I can tell you that I have seen his carvings in person and they are THE FINEST antler carvings I have ever seen. He is in a class all his own, a true MASTER.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

TJ, How much would you charge to do a carving just like that moose one only with a caribou? I have an antler that is pretty much the same as the one you used... I cut it off of a rack from a Quebec I hunt I did and would like to get it carved for an even better momentum from that hunt. The detail & 3-d look of your work is awesome to say the least. That moose kicks butt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast