Thread: Anyone replace a steering post in 99 Cat Powder Special?

Default Anyone replace a steering post in 99 Cat Powder Special?

My dad has a 99 powder special 600 EFI that suffered a small injury over the weekend. The steering post was bent upwards but it doesn't look as though any other parts were bent or damaged. He was able to ride home with just some difficulty steering hard left to right.

What I'm looking for is anyone who's had the opportunity to have worked on this machine to tell me whether it's something fixable from underneath. Can this be done w/ the removal of the belly pan or is it an absolute must to remove the engine to gain the necessary access to the post?

Other issues w/ the injury are a busted windshield, the green toggle switch for the hand/thumb warmer is broken. Oh, this part magically has fixed itself but he crushed in the fuel tank w/ his knee. He and my brother worked on the tank a little by pulling out on the tank from the inside w/ a piece of wood and metal rod but couldn't get the tank back 100%. Well in the heated garage overnight, the pressure must have built in the tank enough to pop itself back out to normal shape, you'd never know it ever had a problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the steering post.

Its a fairly easy fix. You dont have to pull the engine. It is accessable from the belly pan. Also if you order a new steering post stop by AIH and get a piece of metal to fill the post adds a little weight but makes em really hard to tweak afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.C View Post
    Its a fairly easy fix. You dont have to pull the engine. It is accessable from the belly pan. Also if you order a new steering post stop by AIH and get a piece of metal to fill the post adds a little weight but makes em really hard to tweak afterwards.

That's great, I called a couple different cat shops yesterday and they both said that the engine had to be removed. A friend in Juneau told me that if the pan is removable, I should be able to replace from underneath. Thanks for the info on this, we're going to take a look this weekend about what it's gonna take to remove the post and see if there is other damage further in that we can't see right now.

Not to sure on the 99. I had a 96' and did the same thing. We had to remove the motor. If you pan is removable you should be ok though.