Thread: Acting Weird

Default Acting Weird

So just recently my lab has started to act different. I recently had studded him out and the ***** was not receptive at all so I think that has something to do with it but since he has been back home he continues to whine for attention and he cant get enough and I have recently noticed that he doesnt go right for his food like he used to, he is kinda acting like hes not interested in his food. He eventually eats it but not as soon as I put it down anymore. Do you think he is having some seperation anxiety from the *****. He has been home now for almost 2 weeks and I have read that dogs will basically kill themselves over a ***** thats in heat or is there something else going on there. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    So just recently my lab has started to act different. I recently had studded him out and the ***** was not receptive at all so I think that has something to do with it but since he has been back home he continues to whine for attention and he cant get enough and I have recently noticed that he doesnt go right for his food like he used to, he is kinda acting like hes not interested in his food. He eventually eats it but not as soon as I put it down anymore. Do you think he is having some seperation anxiety from the *****. He has been home now for almost 2 weeks and I have read that dogs will basically kill themselves over a ***** thats in heat or is there something else going on there. Thanks in advance for your replies.
    When our older male was intact, he acted similarly. He bordered on being thin and never showed an interest in food. He was neutered a few years back and now has a healthy appetite.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

So do you think its an inbalance of his hormones? Was yours acting different after studding? Ever figure out what it was from? Thanks

When a lab doesn't show interest in food, something is wrong according to my vet.

Constant whining and seeking attention could be a good indicator that something is wrong with his health and his behavior is his way of telling you about it.

I just lost my lab to a brain tumor. For a couple of months he just didn't seem to be the same. The vet couldn't find anything. As time passed he seemed to get whiny and wanted more attention. But we still couldn't find anything wrong.

A couple of weeks back, his left eye began to look like it was infected, so we treated it like that. A week passed, the eye cleared somewhat, but with a bright light you could see the mass behind his eye. Within days, he began to have seizures from the pressure the tumor was putting on his brain. We tried to reduce the tumor mass with steroid therapy, but it didn't work. We discussed putting him to sleep, but he had a seizure that took his life before doing so.

All the time, he was "telling" me something wasn't right with him, and in spite of it, we didn't find what was wrong until almost the end.

So maybe not wanting to breed is secondary to what's really wrong.

First off Im very sorry to hear about losing you dog, I really dont know what would happen if that were the case for mine. He is just about to turn two and I think Ill take him in for a checkup. As far as breeding he has had no problem trying to do his part it was the ***** who was not receptive.....I am sorry agian.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    First off Im very sorry to hear about losing you dog, I really dont know what would happen if that were the case for mine. He is just about to turn two and I think Ill take him in for a checkup. As far as breeding he has had no problem trying to do his part it was the ***** who was not receptive.....I am sorry agian.
    Thank you.

Sorry, I missed the breeding was a her problem and not a his problem.

But his "different" behavior sounds like a familiar trait when a lab is not feeling well or there is some underlying health issue.

When ever in doubt go to the vet first.
    With that being said..........

Ahhh..... he's just about two years old and an unexperienced stud at that. Plus he couldn't "whoo" her.
    Simply put.....you've got a teenager with blue balls.
    He should calm down over time. Since he is young and unexperienced socialize him with females that are not in heat. It will help by mentally calming him down. So that he doesn't react this way every time he see's a female. Plus the girls will set him straight.

Do not put him around other intact males right now. His excitedness will trigger a more dominant male to defend its territory.

Also, a young dog trying to breed is all over the female. Mounting every side of her except the correct one. They will get themselves so worked up that they can hurt themselves. Pulled muscles can take weeks to heel. So that also could be your pups problem.

Other than that I warrant what "upstream" had mentioned as well.
    When ever in doubt go to the vet first.

Thanks for all the replies. I figured that was the issue but to the vet nontheless...I actually bread him back in April with a two year old and he had no problems what so ever. 15 minutes together they were locked and continued to lock 7 more times in three days, we had a beautifull litter of pups in June. I know he is probally still inexperienced but thought I would add that. Also Wetland, he has become very aggresive when he is around his food right now so is it basically the same as putting him around other intact males with me trying to touch him while hes eating...? Thanks again for all the replies

dude.....I didnt know you studded out.Maybe I ought to studette my girls out? LOL! seriously tho,Id like to talk to you about this later or someting.My girls are also just over two, and not to get into a long drawn out convo here about it. I'd really like to see your boy and talk about this later. Daniel

Hey Daniel Ill shoot you a pm with my number and give me a call. Here is a pic of my handsome little boy named FELON !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

he has become very aggresive when he is around his food right now so is it basically the same as putting him around other intact males with me trying to touch him while hes eating...?
    Not quite the same.....
    This sounds like an issue that needs to be addressed. This dog is trying to put you in your place while he's eating. He sees himself as being above you in heirarchy. Dogs approaching the age of yours are starting to mature and will so called "test the waters". You have to back up what has been previously taught. How familiar are you with handling this?

Felon? Man I hope he did not just get out of jail? You know I dont want to expose my girls to any ol' Felon

Seriously tho he's one good looking dog.I recieved your pm but the boys and I are watching movies tonight.Ill call later. Thanks. Daniel

Wetland, If you remeber sometime ago I started a thread about food driven aggression and I think you gave some pointers on that thread but if you have more tips please share them and do you think that his whineing and aggression are related as far as " testing the waters". Daniel, The name came from a picture of a chessie I saw while deployed in Iraq. The previous *****es owners kept a male pup and named it Outlaw and said the next time he studs that they would like to keep a female and name her Miss Demeanor so Felon has started a new nameline of dogs....