Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: BOG Proposal

  1. #1

    Default BOG Proposal

    What the publics opion on giving the disabled and wounded/disabled. veteran of Alaska a number set aside hunts. This would give the an oppurtunity to enjoy a hunt that may not be able to take part in now. I know the state has the proxiy permits, this would give the poxiy user a chance to hunt with the help of family and friend. Te BOG would develop the programs.


    Bigfisherman

  2. #2

    Default

    Although the recipients might very well be worthy of recognition, I think it is a very slippery slope to start down. This is not the kind of recognition I would think they would expect. Exclusive use to worthy individuals of which the list could go on and on (wounded vets, incapacitated car crash casualties, violent crime victims, para-palegics, quadra-palegics, etc you get the picture), is not something I could support. There are hunts available for all to partake, participate in or apply for. I would much rather seem them hunting in an atmosphere conducive to that which they have shed blood for. Equal hunting opportunities would be a better goal to strive for, rather than starting another exclusive good ole' boy and girl hunting fraternity. Better yet, if you or others would like to contribute, have you looked at buying one of the Auctioned Tags from the Governor's Office? Too many exclusive user's out there now, I don't favor adding to the list.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Akres - Well put. If anyone is worthy of special considerations it is those who have given much in the service of our country, but once we start down that road there will be a never ending line of those expecting special hunts. It's tough to say that, as some would label that sentiment as anti-military or anti-veteran, but I would wager that the vast majority of veterans don't want to create a special class of citizen for their own benefit.

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Although the recipients might very well be worthy of recognition, I think it is a very slippery slope to start down. This is not the kind of recognition I would think they would expect. Exclusive use to worthy individuals of which the list could go on and on (wounded vets, incapacitated car crash casualties, violent crime victims, para-palegics, quadra-palegics, etc you get the picture), is not something I could support. There are hunts available for all to partake, participate in or apply for. I would much rather seem them hunting in an atmosphere conducive to that which they have shed blood for. Equal hunting opportunities would be a better goal to strive for, rather than starting another exclusive good ole' boy and girl hunting fraternity. Better yet, if you or others would like to contribute, have you looked at buying one of the Auctioned Tags from the Governor's Office? Too many exclusive user's out there now, I don't favor adding to the list.
    Very well said.

  5. #5
    Member zeda34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Willow
    Posts
    168

    Default

    These types have programs have been tried elsewhere. They tried this some years back in West Virginia. Not for veterans but handicap folks in general. It created quite a stir when the DNR opened up the back country for POV use. 29 nine miles of foot travel only Cranberry Wilderness trails became a road hunting paradise if you had a handycap sticker. It really upset alot of hunters who packed their camps in there every year. I was fairly young at the time. All I remember is that it didnt last long and it created alot of hard feelings among local sportsman.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Lightbulb "anyone"? What about youth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Akres - Well put. If anyone is worthy of special considerations it is those who have given much in the service of our country, but once we start down that road there will be a never ending line of those expecting special hunts....
    I agree except in the area of special youth hunts. We must get more youth involved in hunting or I worry for the future of the sport. Special seasons or hunts are one way to do this, especially for antlerless hunts in areas overpopulated.

    Cap it at a certain age, or for youth that have never once filled a big game tag, or both. Cap the tag numbers so as to not impact game populations. Use different season so as to eliminate experienced competition for the same animal.

    I see no slippery slope anytime soon in getting more youth actively involved in hunting and giving them a helping hand in bringing home their first bacon.

  7. #7
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I agree except in the area of special youth hunts. We must get more youth involved in hunting or I worry for the future of the sport. Special seasons or hunts are one way to do this, especially for antlerless hunts in areas overpopulated.
    I think that's a different ball game and I'd gander that most here would support that, I know I do. Hunter recruitment is essential to survival-plain and simple.

    Tim

  8. #8

    Default +2 for youth Hunts

    I think if everyone invited a vet on thier hunt they would be better and more meaningfully served.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

  9. #9

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I agree except in the area of special youth hunts. We must get more youth involved in hunting or I worry for the future of the sport. Special seasons or hunts are one way to do this, especially for antlerless hunts in areas overpopulated.

    Cap it at a certain age, or for youth that have never once filled a big game tag, or both. Cap the tag numbers so as to not impact game populations. Use different season so as to eliminate experienced competition for the same animal.

    I see no slippery slope anytime soon in getting more youth actively involved in hunting and giving them a helping hand in bringing home their first bacon.
    I could not support any special priveleged hunts. Period. It sends the wrong message, that they are special. They are not. There is nothing wrong with just having a hunting season that everyone can enjoy. Now if you want to go on "your hunt" and leave the kids at home, knowing there will be another opportunity for them to hunt on "their hunt", that is just wrong. They need to be a part of the hunting party, in it's purist/rawist form. They don't need to be coddled or given special treatment. It is important that their bounty be thrown in the pile and then it becomes a collective bounty and not a personal treasure. They will grow up thinking they are "entitled" to special hunts and the good idea monster will grow from the seeds you suggest sowing. After they have experienced the entitlement, they will want more and it will become so distorted from what it was orginally, that it will be unrecognizable. Gotta think this thing thru, and look at what you really want the future of hunting to look like a generation of two from now. I hunted as a kid, adolescent and adult. I did just fine, without special hunts and they will to.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10

    Default

    I think youth hunts would be a great idea. I don't forsee a problem with that. I believe almost everyone on this board grew up w/o specialized youth hunts. Most have been brought on within the last 10 years or so. To say that these youth will end up feeling entitled to further special priviledged hunts seems to be a little extreme. This would be a chance to introduce youth to hunting and possibly a chance to get other hunters motivated to get younger hunters interested.

    If you are anything like me I get way more out of seeing someone get their first animal than actually doing it myself. The kids gets a great experience, learns the ins and outs of what hunting is about, and gives both the youth and the people taking them out to the field more chances with special youth seasons. Seems like a win/win all the way around. This seems to be a completley fair system to me, everyone is less than 18 once. Its just that for some if us it was a lot longer ago than others.

  11. #11

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    gives both the youth and the people taking them out to the field more chances with special youth seasons.
    I hope most can recognize the "wrong" in this line of thought. Far too many now want extra chances above and beyond the norm. We sure don't need to be teaching it to a whole new generation of young hunters.

    Hunting opportunities are limited now, to think what they will be in the not too distant future is disturbing. Better focus on what you got and not worry so much about what you don't got.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12

    Default

    Ok AKRES, sorry I didn't realize you weren't interested in taking youth out hunting in addition to your own hunting seasons. So I guess it isn't a win/win for everybody.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Ok AKRES, sorry I didn't realize you weren't interested in taking youth out hunting in addition to your own hunting seasons. So I guess it isn't a win/win for everybody.
    That is correct. The kids go when the adults go in our camp. We don't segregate the hunts. There have been a few hunts when some of the kids and some of the adults could not be there, but that is to be expected. Lots of competing priorities for everyone's time. To me, it is totally unreasonable to want/desire/promote "special" seasons. I favor one season. If there are restrictions due to close proximity to houses and urban areas, then I can understand the need to restrict the hunt to archery or shotguns. I don't agree with different seasons and special priveleges for blackpowder, primative weapons, youth hunts, archery, handicapped, motorized, non-motorized or local residents. I do favor allowing every hunter to choose how they want to persue game. No single entity or group should be given special priveleges over another.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    That is correct. The kids go when the adults go in our camp. We don't segregate the hunts. There have been a few hunts when some of the kids and some of the adults could not be there, but that is to be expected. Lots of competing priorities for everyone's time. To me, it is totally unreasonable to want/desire/promote "special" seasons. I favor one season. If there are restrictions due to close proximity to houses and urban areas, then I can understand the need to restrict the hunt to archery or shotguns. I don't agree with different seasons and special priveleges for blackpowder, primative weapons, youth hunts, archery, handicapped, motorized, non-motorized or local residents. I do favor allowing every hunter to choose how they want to persue game. No single entity or group should be given special priveleges over another.
    AKRES,

    I respect your point of view and can see where you are coming from on this.
    You obviously don't feel the same way, no big deal, this just my opinion so take it for what you paid for it.

    I believe many of the specialized hunts (archery, non-motorized, muzzleloader...) have come into being to allow hunters more options and in some cases longer seasons. Especially in easier to access areas. The idea is that success rates are usually lower than general season in these hunts due to either lack of mobility(non-motorized) or stock success rates due to having to be closer for primitive weapon type of hunt.

    While I agree that everyone has the right to choose how they want to hunt. I think that these specialized hunts are a great management tool the F&G/BOG has used to allow more hunting options in this state. If you simply choose not to participate in them, then no problem, just stick with the general season hunts. Meanwhile I'll try my hand at some of the non-motorized or primitive weapon hunts when the general season hunts aren't taking place. Yeah the success rates are lower, but I'd rather be out hunting trying to get something more weeks out of a given year, than using that extra time to type on here. But to each his own.

  15. #15
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default YOuth Season Vs Regular Season

    I love the idea of youth hunts. Fairbanks has done several in 20B over the years allowing 5 days pre season for any bull..

    not only is they Youth excited that it is THEIR tag, they have the opportunity to hunt with out the me first crowd racing around them. safety issues are less, beginner success rates are higher. and face it HOW many family's are going to take 2 moose in a season...

    I think that if mom and dad know they have a higher chance of success taking the kid out on their hunt they would probably stay out the regular season. thus reducing the amount of over all traffic in the usual haunts.

    Mom and Dad will plan and budget to take the kids out on their hunts, because they want the kids to succeed. as well fill the freezer.

    I agree with Res that the kids should be exposed to the full meal deal of hunting, I also feel the regular season is so hectic along the road system that the kids do not get the chance they should..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I love the idea of youth hunts. Fairbanks has done several in 20B over the years allowing 5 days pre season for any bull..

    not only is they Youth excited that it is THEIR tag, they have the opportunity to hunt with out the me first crowd racing around them. safety issues are less, beginner success rates are higher. and face it HOW many family's are going to take 2 moose in a season...

    I think that if mom and dad know they have a higher chance of success taking the kid out on their hunt they would probably stay out the regular season. thus reducing the amount of over all traffic in the usual haunts.

    Mom and Dad will plan and budget to take the kids out on their hunts, because they want the kids to succeed. as well fill the freezer.

    I agree with Res that the kids should be exposed to the full meal deal of hunting, I also feel the regular season is so hectic along the road system that the kids do not get the chance they should..
    Exactly, why not have both?? The goal is to get new hunters. I am worrying about what we have now btw AKRES. What we have now is a lack interest of kids in the outdoors in general. Just take a look at the paper today. If youth hunts are a way to possibly help reduce this trend in addition to people taking kids out in general season hunts it can only help the future of hunting rather than hurt it.

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    [quote=Alaska_Lanche;386869]


    I believe many of the specialized hunts (archery, non-motorized, muzzleloader...) have come into being to allow hunters more options and in some cases longer seasons. Especially in easier to access areas.
    hunt.
    what is the difference between making a speacial season for archery, or muzzle loading, so that this user group has a better chance to hunt with there choice of weapons? granted a portion of this is stupid person control. so they dont shoot the neighbor while he is in the tub, and a lot of this is opportunistic for those groups


    I think that these specialized hunts are a great management tool the F&G/BOG has used to allow more hunting options in this state.
    a regulated youth hunt is a fine tool. for F&G to use. it could also be set up as the unit 13 moose is... hey if you hunt this one THATS IT for the year. not only do they pread people out. they get a better control on the harvest by adjusting the time frames each year as needed... (warmer /colder) and kids who don't normally hunt will have those chances..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18

    Talking

    [QUOTE=Vince;386911]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post




    what is the difference between making a speacial season for archery, or muzzle loading, so that this user group has a better chance to hunt with there choice of weapons? granted a portion of this is stupid person control. so they dont shoot the neighbor while he is in the tub, and a lot of this is opportunistic for those groups




    a regulated youth hunt is a fine tool. for F&G to use. it could also be set up as the unit 13 moose is... hey if you hunt this one THATS IT for the year. not only do they pread people out. they get a better control on the harvest by adjusting the time frames each year as needed... (warmer /colder) and kids who don't normally hunt will have those chances..
    Unit 13 is already used up, they gave that one to the "Elders". Lets us Unit 20 for the "Youth".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19

    Default

    [QUOTE=Akres;387374]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

    Unit 13 is already used up, they gave that one to the "Elders". Lets us Unit 20 for the "Youth".
    Come on man, yes a good deal of 13 is now AHTNA however there is still lots of land still availible. And setting up Unit 20 for a couple youth hunts isn't nearly the same as a native corporation locking down large tracts of land to hunting. You'd still be able to hunt the same area as the youth just at different times, or you could take youth along and still be able to get out on the hunting experience.

    Comparing a youth hunt to native corps locking up land isn't even in the same ballpark. I guess you'll argue that both are getting a special privileges, however there is one glaring difference. One group you are born into and can never become part of (unless you are like my buddy and was smart enough to marry into it ) and the other every person in AK can take advantage of if they so chose.

  20. #20
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    I'll respond to this just because of the way this thread is going. Akers, I grew up here and hunted along with my father and a bunch of old timers who taught me the ways of the outdoors. I shot my first and biggest moose when I was 13, and have shot 16 more since then. When I was a kid ,there was a hunting season that allowed us to be out there before school started, and that was the highlight of our year. You get to go to school and share or trade your moose buger sandwitch with the other kids As things stand today, I say yes, let the kids have a try at it ( Yes they can come to delta) If they get a moose then dad does'nt have to hunt that year, I would after this many years let someone else pull the trigger anytime.Ya know I just had a brain storm I'll get back to you later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •