Thread: Super Cub or Float Plane for Moose?

Default Super Cub or Float Plane for Moose?

Been doing a lot of reading and researching here and was wondering everyones thoughts about this.

I know Super Cubs can land in more remote places and Float Planes (i.e.185) can haul more gear.

Why would you want a Super Cub and pay more for extra trips (gear)?

Why would you want a Float Plane - Other than to haul more gear?

Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush

Cub will generally get you into way more remote places than a float plane, and into higher alpine areas as well. Not that a float plane can't get you remote, there is just a whole lot of ground out there where a cub on tundra tires can get to that a float plane can't. And vice versa too anything there is no one perfect plane setup for every situation. Some areas have a lot of lakes to land a float plane, some don't. Depends on what animal(s) you are after, what region, etc.

Default I think

You answered your own question.

"I know Super Cubs can land in more remote places"

Generally speaking, being more remote is worth making extra trips.

You can do it using both aircraft, have the bigger one take you into a remote strip and then take the Cub into the hunting area. That will work as long as both are on either wheels or floats. Personally I prefer a larger aircraft like the Heliocourier or 185 and have flown out on hunts using both.

Seldovia, alaska

You have asked the question of the century. The above replies are right on and you also have to look at fuel burn. C185=16GPH@$5.00-$9.00ea. SC @ 7-9 GPH. Doesn't take long to pay for the extra trips. We also haven't even touched the maintenance side.
    Just remember few guys are capable of doing the stuff on big rocks and long props.

little log cabin on the river

I have spent a lot of time sitting in the passenger seat in many different bush planes over the years and in addition to all of the above posts I would like to mention that, at least in my option, the supercub is the safest airplane I have flown in so far. Might take a little longer to get there, the hind end tends to get numb about half way through the flight, and there are times when that tiny backseat sure is cramped (especially with winter gear on), but when I send my kid in and out of my remote location I prefer to call in my friend with the cub if possible.
    It just makes me feel better!

Now if you are dealing with 2 or more passengers on a maintained gravel bar, or at least an airstrip that has been prechecked by someone on the ground, then my answer might be different. For that I might have to choose the helio.

Good luck and safe flying,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Anchorage Alaska

Default both

we use a cub with floats! (actually a scout on floats on steroids)

The lake is small, but the bulls are BIG!

I've been in cubs on both wheels & floats, & 185s on both wheels & floats, & each has it's place.
    Heck, even DC-3s have their place in the Alaskan bush!
    The key is always figuring out what's going to work best for your mission.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."