Thread: Day three for Scott!

Default Day three for Scott!

So for day three our goal was to get scoters and old squaw for Scott's collection. Our initial set up was off a large shell bank where the scoters feed at low water. When we arrived there was a large raft of birds right where they were supposed to be. We motored into the spot and got set up in hopes of large flocks of scoters pouring into the decoys. It just never happened. The barrows golden eye immediately started in on us though. Along with a few harlequins and common mergansers.

After some shooting we decided we needed to head out to open water in pursuit of the long tails. The shooting was slow due to still winds and flat water, but we did manage to drop one nice drake.

We watched numerous flights of mallards going down the sound all morning. I'd love to get back after them this week, but unfortunately the only days that you can kill them at this time of year with any consistancy is when the bad weather rolls in. Thirty to fourty mile per hour winds push them into my favorite spots and make them easy targets. However, on calm days they just raft up off shore where they can't be had!

Awesome photographs, your pics make me want to try and get out in the sound for one last hunt before the season ends. I especially like the picture 4th pic down with the shot spread in it awesome. Nice photo of the longtails too such a nice looking drakes in the group.

Default awesome

those are some great pics that you have taken over the last few days. wish i was still around to go blast some birds but duty calls. congrats on your birds and even more on your pics. thanks for sharing.

matt