Thread: Muzzleloader rifle opnions

Default Muzzleloader rifle opnions

I'n your guys minds which is the best inline muzzleloader out. Just seeing what kinds of replys we can get off this.

I picked up a T/C Triumph .50 cal this fall and love it. Loads easy, cleans easy, looks good. Good, durable, quality rifle. I went with the Weathershield version (no. 8511 I think) since I'd be using it in a wide variety of conditions. Was able to get a great deal on it via Midsouth Shooters Supply as they were having an inventory reduction sale, they took $120 off MSRP (that deal didn't last long!). I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a stout modern inline.

bb

I'll second he triumph. Great shooter.

IVe shot omegas, the encore and Knights. They are all real good. Ive hunted with the encore and omega in some wet sloppy conditions. Both kept the primer dry.

I really think it would be hard to design a bad inline. They are pretty basic firearms. Thats the beauty of muzzloaders~

I just hunted with caplocks this year. I had them in rainy weather. And Ive been hunting rabbits this winter with them. So far they have fired 100% and they are supposed to be more prone to weather. So given the results of the more primitive muzzloader Im sure that any inline will be able to perform.

Default cva

I shoot a cva optima pro good gun but I would get a stainless gun in the future. It is capable of very tight groups with a scope on it. I took it deer hunting with a 2-7 power scope and was able to get under 2 inch groups at 100 yards using new magnum pellets and a 250 grain powerbelt areotip.

Default Encore

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I'n your guys minds which is the best inline muzzleloader out. Just seeing what kinds of replys we can get off this.
    I really like the Encore, SS/synthetic. Easy to clean and never a problem with misfires, keeps the primer dry as rimfirematt said. The biggest thing though is the ability to change barrels to a different caliber, rimfire, centerfire or shotgun.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I've got an early Knight in 54. It came set up for #11 caps and I've never bothered to switch it over to musket caps or 209's cuzz I shoot it mostly with loose powder. With round balls it is so accurate it will scare you up till you top 60 grains of 3f, then groups spread a little. We're talking one ragged hole at 50 yards, so 30 grains is a super load for mashing bunny heads.

It shoots conicals almost as well, though I get better groups and performance on game with heavy all-lead conicals rather than sabots. Something about whacking game with 450 or 500 grains of lead rather than 300 grains, no matter how much faster the lighter bullet is going.

Downside? It has a 24" barrel and weighs six pounds. With 120 grains of powder under a heavy conical, you CANNOT keep the forend in your hand when you light it off. Period. Tried it with a scope for hunting in the general season, but scoped myself each of the three times I pulled the trigger. Offhand! Off came the scope. I still love to hunt with it and especially to carry it because it's so light, but it's a stinker at the range. You gotta love big guns and big recoil (I do), because it kicks harder than either my 458 Winnie or my 460 Weatherby. No one but me has been crazy enough to shoot it twice.

Default remington genesis

If you are looking save a few $, then check out the remington genesis on cabelas website. They always have them on sale cheap- right now there is one on there that is blued and camo for 144.99- then you get a $35 rebate back from remington, and there is a $20 off coupon for any order over $100 right now- I dont know about you, but 90 bucks for a brand new QUALITY inline is too good to pass up in my book. I have had one for a while and I love it. It shoots almost everything with excellent accuracy- from light to heavy sabots, (one load is a 250gr shockwave with 100gr 777 5 shot group with 4 of the holes touching) up to the 495gr conicals I hunt with (1.5" groups @ 100 yds). It shoots prb's ok with real light charges but that is due to a 1:28 twist- just a whole lot of fun to plink with. Dont be afraid of the breech design, "torch cam" i believe is the name, it works just fine. I had it out in some really crappy weather this last moose season and stayed dry and lit when it needed to. All in all it is the best $200 I have ever spent (mine wasnt on sale), and it is my favorite gun in the safe.

The best muzzleloader I have is the Thompson Center Encore. Accurate,easy to clean and very reliable. The worse one I HAD was a Remington 700 muzzleloader. If the temps were under 20 degrees the bolt would freeze/stick. Sold that gun real cheap!

Default knight

I liked my Knight inline so well that I got another one for my son the following year. They give a hefty discount to any certified hunter safety instructor too with a limit of one gun per year.

Long stainless barrel, synthetic thumb hole stock.