Thread: Got my moose (meat) home!

Default Got my moose (meat) home!

Well I had a physical today in Anchorage so I got the opportunity to head into town and get poked and prodded. Luckily I'm under the magic "40" mark where a physical get to be a bit more "intimate" so it wasn't too bad and I got a clean bill of health! The appointment ended up getting done early so I realized I might just have time to go out to Indian Valley and grab our moose meat. The only holdup was I had my whole family with me (myself, wife, 3 boys) and we were in my little Chevy Aveo. I went out and popped the rear hatch, sized it up with my calibrated eye and told the wife confidently "it'll fit" and we were on our way toward Girdweird. I got to IVM, paid the tab and warned the guy that we were in an Aveo so it might be a "tight fit". Given their great customer service they offered to help load us up so we met the guy at the car a short time later as he brought out all of our meat. He went around to open the back door thinking he would be loading it into the rear with the seats folded down.... "Ummmm you have kids in here" he noted. I walked around back and popped the hatch then grinned and said confidently "It'll fit!" He didn't look nearly as confident as I was (pretending to be). Well after a good bit of pushing and a little "flexing" of some interior panels we had all but one box snugly in the trunk. The last box was squeezed into the front passenger floorboard leaving just enough room for my wife to put her nest to it. I shook the guys hand and we were off.
    I will say for those that haven't driven one an Aveo is not exactly designed to haul a family of 5 and their moose! We were not seeing numbers anywhere near the claimed 0-60 acceleration times! Matter of fact I think the only time I crested 60 was going down ER hill! The other entertaining part of the trip home was having every second oncoming car flash their lights at me. Apparently when you put a moose in the back of an Aveo it causes the headlights to aim just a touch high!
    In the end we made it home and got everything loaded into our new 20 cubic foot upright freezer and pretty much filled it to the Max. We had just enough room left to pack in our Halibutt from this summer!

Indian Valley did a great job the meat was packed excellent! My 1 yo is running around chowing down on a hunter stick and I have Jalapeno/Cheese dogs set out for lunch tomorrow! MAN I LOVE MOOSE MEAT!

Default Not enough!

Lujon,

You will find out tomorrow that you didn't have enough jalepeno/cheese dogs made!

I took in 203 #'s of meat had 20#'s turned into polish, 20#'s into german, and 163#'s into jalepeno/cheese dogs! They will be gone by mid summer!

Default No Lie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Lujon,

You will find out tomorrow that you didn't have enough jalepeno/cheese dogs made!

I took in 203 #'s of meat had 20#'s turned into polish, 20#'s into german, and 163#'s into jalepeno/cheese dogs! They will be gone by mid summer!
    I got about 20#s of Jalepeno/chesse brats made out of my caribou, it was the first time that my wife and i have tried the Jalepenoe/cheese brats, i think that they were gone in 2 months, if that. I am going to get most of my moose made into to those.

Default yep

Had the cheese dogs made along with some regular dogs this year. First time with the cd's, last time for the rd's. Congrats to filling the freezer!

Default awesome

glad to see you are enjoying your wifes moose. Good stuff from IVM. Beef will just not taste the same any more!

Talking A helping hand

Lujon, you could have just dropped some of that dreaded weight off at the house. Plenty of freezer space and it would have saved the wear and tear on the Aveo

That is going to be some fine eating. Congrats.

haha sounds like fun...we always bring our meat to Indian Valley, they do an awesome job, they're Peppersticks are great! We had 450# dropped off there this year, quick turn around...the jalopeno/cheese sausage is great, as our the normal hotdogs

You need to start taking pictures of things like that. Would have loved to have seen that Aveo loaded like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
    You need to start taking pictures of things like that. Would have loved to have seen that Aveo loaded like that!
    Yeah I'd like to see that picture too.

Default -10 Rep Points

Yep, you should lose 10 rep points for no photo. I'm very visual.

Glad you and your moose are safe in the company of your freezer, stove and belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Yep, you should lose 10 rep points for no photo. I'm very visual.
    I gave you one to help make up the difference

How did the inside of the car smell during the drive home?
    Make you hungry?