Thread: blacktails for a newbie

Red face blacktails for a newbie

Me and a friend were wanting to do a deer hunt before season ends but we cant afford to fly.So what i was wondering is would taking the ferry to Kodiak and hunting the road system (however short it may be) be worth it or will it still be open. we are open to suggestions and are both accomplished whitetail hunters from down south, and i have also hunted and taken quite a few muleys. we arent afraid to get out and walk just so you dont think that we'll just be trying to road hunt.We've never been down to any of the islands just trying to see if you guys think it might still be a decent meat hunt. For two southern boys trying to ease the pain of missing the deer season back home again. thanks in advance guys.

Sorry but the road system season closed a month ago. Your only hope is to make it across saltry river but the trail is getting pretty tough to cross on four wheelers.
    Plan ahead for next year. The season runs from August 1st through October 31st.

Default Thanks Flyfisher

thanks for letting me know it would of kinda sucked to get down there only to find out we couldnt hunt. is there anywhere else we could go on the cheap to hunt deer, we dont care about big bucks we'll even take a doe if in an area where they are legal.thanks again.

getting a boat to an island in PWS will probably be cheaper than getting a rig to kodiak and back... To bring a small car its $250 each way (more for a truck) plus $60 each way for the extra person (driver rides free in the winter) not to mention $100 in gas to get to homer and back (depending on what you drive)

thats like $720 which could get you an hour or so in a 206 or a charter from seward or whittier to an island
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.