Thread: fishing reel for disabled

Default fishing reel for disabled

My Father suffered a stroke this last june while fishing in his 14 foot aluminum boat. It was a severe stroke. His Left side is totally paralyzed.
    He is fighting with all he has to walk again, and has actually with the aide of braces, walked... He disires to fish again, but his left hand has no response.
    I decided to get him an electric reel or something that he can use to troll with.
    He fishes lakes only and catches fish under 20 lbs, usually 1 lb to 5 lb trout etc.
    I looked at several of the reels on bass pro, but they all seem to be geared towards salt water and are huge,, the smallest weighs 28 oz.
    do any of you know of any reel setup or type that will work for disabled folks like Dad?
    Thanks so much in Advance...
    I would like to find him a reel before Xmas so he can get excited about next summer fishing.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Max
    Check out Elec-tra-mate.com they have some electric assist spinning reels that may suit your dads needs.

http://www.elec-tra-mate.com/phychal.html

Default Another option

AKCanoe,
    Diawa makes a reel called the Seaborg that is a little pricey, (as compared to the reliable electramate systems.) They're a little more compact and have a smaller battery system... Here's another idea that may perhaps help out? Several options for one handed slings that will allow the fisherman use of a pole with only one hand. This would be a viable option if he's only trolling.

http://adaptiveoutdoorsman.com/rh101r.html

Default Not sure of all these

sites listed, but this page has several listings of companies that cater to the disabled.

http://www.cfhnb.org/equipment.html

Thumbs up Thanks for the ideas

I appreciate the help..
    the sling idea may work pretty good.
    and the other reel selections great..
    thank again.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but be sure to follow the current round of F&G proposals. They've been trying to get rid of electric reels for sport use for years, and this year is no different. (For the same arguments and reasons, they're trying to get rid of gas or electric pot pullers this year too!)

Back on topic, I've played with the Seaborg line of reels quite a bit and I like them a lot. Make sure whomever you buy from has a liberal return policy. When trying out gear (reels, cell phones, etc.) for dis/differently abled folks, it's best to keep trying different gear until you find something that works well instead of adapting the person to the gear...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]