Thread: What Knife Sharpener is best ?

Default What Knife Sharpener is best ?

just wondering what everyone else is using to keep there favorite blade nice and sharp. ive been using a spyderco sharpener... seems to work great and is easy to use ... what are some other good options?
    thanks, mike

I went to my local resteraunt supply and bought two. Both are diamond "steels". The one for the house is about 18" long and the one for the pack is about 4'. Both work great and are very reasonable in price. J.

I have a kinves of Alaska sharpener. Its made in Texas but its a great sharpener. Super easy to use and works great!

Default Lansky

I have found there a lot of sharpeners that will do an adequate job. However, the Lansky system gets my knives "shaving sharp". The only thing is, they are not fast. I can easily spend 30 minutes on a knife using the Lansky but it's the only one I have found that will bring that fine of an edge to my blade.

Default lansky

thanks to every one for there input thus far... and boater you are totally right about the lansky... i never had the patience to spend that much time on a knife...it did work really well.. i just wanted to find something a little easyer to use

Hey Mike, check out the Alaska Outdoor Gear thread, I posted the same question on there and got some really good replies....

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Hey Mike, check out the Alaska Outdoor Gear thread, I posted the same question on there and got some really good replies....
    here's a link to that thread

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40415

I sharpen my knives with the warthog, its awesome...

I use the tried and true Norton stone followed up by a few passes on a butcher's steel, and can usually get a shaving sharp edge without much effort. It's all about keeping the blade at the same angle to the stone and making even and consistent strokes. The Lansky and similar devices just take the guesswork out of it.

Smile Lansky

Another vote for the Lansky!!

Thumbs up

I use the Warthog as well, its very simple to use and gets my knifes the sharpest I've had them.

Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    Now what ?