Thread: Jetting

Default Jetting

How hard is it to change the jets from high alitude to low. They are 97 Yamaha mountain max 700 and 600. Thanks

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

re-jetting triple carbs is a pain. Not particularly hard, just a pain. But, if your sleds came from a higher altitude home you almost certainly need the clutch attended to as well. You may be money ahead to just take them to a dealer and have them set up for local conditions.

what would they need to do to the clutch? I was reading the manual and it makes it sound like its a brezzz on the jets but did not talk about the clutch.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Did you come from a high altitude region? Altitude set-ups include not only jetting but also clutch changes to weights and springs. If you bought a sled in McCall or West Yellowstone the dealer would have already made the changes, just like local dealers here make adjustments to mountain sleds for low altitude riding.

Default jetting

Sweet-

The Yammi's use the Mikuni tm-33 flat slides. They are "a pain" to jet, although you should be able to accomplish the task in about 30 minutes. I recommend an ATACC if you ride at various altitudes. The yammi motors are very accomodating when it comes to fuel delivery. I don't recommend a lean condition, but these machines will still run great in a rich condition. If you are currently jetted for high altitude (probably 135 or 137.5 jets) I would change them to 143.6 or 145 jets for sea level and ride it all over...or get an ATACC and be done. As far as clutching, unless it was set up for extreme altitude (8k feet +), you should be able to find a happy medium with primary weights/ spring and secondary spring for engagement and shift-out.
    Good luck!!

Default I Second the ATACC

Let the dealership jet your sled for 3000ft and install an altitude compensator. This lets you ride from sea level to 6000 feet without messing with jets on the trail.

Thanks to all i just dropped them off with a guy in Wasilla to get it done. It should be done in about a day and then i will get them back. It will give me time to get some stuff done for the wife then i can go back out and disturb some snow. Thanks again T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Default Atacc

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Let the dealership jet your sled for 3000ft and install an altitude compensator. This lets you ride from sea level to 6000 feet without messing with jets on the trail.
    Erik and sweetpint...just for general knowledge... If an ATACC is used, jetting should be for the lowest altitude and lowest temp ridden, either -40f, -20f or 0f. The unit will compensate based on this input. Technically the ATACC should compensate for up to a 10,000ft change when at the base temp. Under normal temp changes (such as an increase) from the base setting, the elevation compensation will be decreased. Of course, we don't ride much higher than 8,000ft in AK so it should never be a problem. If sweetpint is having a shop do the work, I suppose they should know this.

By the way, nice photos along the Denali.

Default sweep

Why do I keep calling you sweetpint? I need another drink.

Skinny,
    Thanks for the clarification

No worries thanks for the help i just got them back from the shop and they scream. I did about 30 miles yesterday and hope to get in a couple of good trips in before i head back out. T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''