Thread: 1895 GS Custom Work?

Default 1895 GS Custom Work?

Being the proud new owner (Merry Christmas to me!) of an 1895 GS I can't wait to get started customizing it. I hear a lot of good things about WWG on this and other forums when it comes to customizing Marlin GG's, however I am in Fairbanks and have used Gary at Arctic Gunworks for other gun maintenance with great results. I'd rather support my local gunsmith, but I haven't heard or read of anyone getting their Marlin custom work done here. If anyone has any experience or opinions on which gunshop would be better to work with, I'd love to hear it. Wouldn't mind seeing pictures and getting details of any work Gary may have done on your Marlin big bore as well. I'm not looking to convert my gun to a Co-Pilot or anything that wild, but would like to improve the trigger, sights, ejector, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Shannon

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default here is all you need

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php

if you dig around a bit you can find the "how too" stuff for nearly all of the popular mods. No gun smith required.......... provided of course that you have some mechanical know how and are not afraid to dive into your new toy.

The Marlins are so easy and simple to work on that anyone can pretty much tackle the majority of the work themselves at home.

WWG............ yea, what ever............
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

That forum Alangaq posted is an excellent resource for all things Marlin. All the things that you want to improve (trigger, ejector, sights) can be accomplished with drop in parts and a minimum of know how. WWG makes a nice drop in trigger and ejector, both of which I have on my 1895 GS, DRC Custom aslo makes a nice drop in trigger. If I were only allowed one upgrade, the trigger would be it, it makes a huge difference vs. the sloppy factory trigger. The WWG sights I have are alright, some friends have Brockman sights on their guns and they are super nice (my father is switching out his WWG sights for Brockman's also). The ejector doesn't improve the function of the gun, it just eliminates a possible point of failure.

Besides WWG, Brockmans and DRC both do excellent work on Marlins and make nice drop in parts too:
    http://www.drcguns.com/index.html
    http://www.brockmansrifles.com/

A lot of people seem to dislike WWG, but I've never had a bad experience with them, and their parts all work well on my gun.

I almost had Gary at Arctic Gunworks extend the mag tube on my gun to hold 6 rounds, but he wanted to charge me $70 just to disassemble the gun, not including the other labor and parts required. That didn't sit too well with me since it takes maybe 2 minutes to fully disassemble a Marlin, so I plan on sending my gun off to Brockman's where he'll do all the work plus parts for $125 total. Gary does do excellent work, not docking him there, he just wanted too much for basic disassembly in my case.

Here's my gun decked out with WWG goodies:
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Default Thanks!

Alangaq, thanks for the link. Looks like I'll have some good reading over the weekend.

AKPACKER, I saw your rig in another thread a while back and that's what made me decide on the Stainless model. That is one sharp looking guide gun you got there! Thanks for the links you sent as well.

With the great information you guys gave me, I may just look into some DIY gunsmithing. Looks like it could save me a substantial amount.

I definitely want to get the sights, trigger and extractor done before next spring. I'm going to take a closer look at the Brockmans sights. AKPACKER, do you have th WWG Happy Trigger on yours?

Yep, I have the Happy Trigger, it makes a big difference in trigger pull and takes out all the slop.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Default Re-attack

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but before I spend the money, I'd like to get as much info as possible. My last decision (for now) on my new 1895 GS is "which sights". I'm trying to decide between tritium or fiber optic for the front. I will be using this gun durnig bear baiting (some lower light conditions, but not real dark) and as a back-up gun in other situations. Is the extra cost of the tritium sights worth it, or does the fiber optic (Williams Fire Sights for example) work just fine? This is not something I can figure out just looking at sights in the store, and would appreciate some real world experience on the subject. Also, any input on green vs red fiber would be appreciated.

Thanks again for any and all input,
    Shannon

I like the red fire-sight on mine, skeletonized and pinned front sight hood so it stays in place and lit-up in low-light. It works in the alder-thickets!

Have fun!

Jay

I have used the green fire sight and it's a slight improvement over the red in low light conditions. I think most people's eye's can see green better than red in low light conditions. Tritium is nice but I doubt you'll ever have the need for it but if you go that route just make sure your rear aperture has tritium dots also because without those your front sight is worthless except in point blank range. My experience with tritium is limited but in IMHO tritium is only effective if you have a silhouetted target at night. You don't find that in woods or on even ground. If something comes over a burn/hill/rise on a semi-moon lite evening presenting you with a silhouette you can raise hell with it but if you can't see it then those pretty little green dots can't do anything for you.
    Those puppies don't last all that long either - they become very dull - for the price you'd think they should last 20+ years.

Default Thanks!

Jay51 and JoeJ,

Thanks for the info. I agree with the green fiber obptic sight. I play heck seeing the red pins on my bow, but didn't know if it was just that particular sight or if this was a common issue. I do see the green ones better on my bow, a lot better to tell the truth.

I wasn't aware of the tritium fading. Good info to have for future purchases as well. Looks like I'm going with the green firesight.

Thanks again for the info and I'll get pics of my new toy posted as soon as I'm done with her.

Shannon

If you can get them try the yellow or pink fiberoptic tubes,they show better than red or green for most folks.

Yellow maybe, but I can't put a "pink" sight on my gun. I get enough grief having the name Shannon...LOL

Default Shipping?

So for all you folks who have shipped guns to WWG, what method did you use? Did you send it in a hard case or wrap it up good in a box? I'm trying to figure this last piece of the puzzle out so I can get started on some modifications. Also, if you shipped it in a hard case, did you get that case back?

Thanks again for the info,
    Shannon

Use a box and bubble wrap

Got the same gun. Researched for the best smith for a long time. The name I kept getting is Clements Custom Guns. He does some great work, but has a 3 month wait time. I am sending him mine next week for a full length mag tube, recrown, glass bed, terminator pad with mercury recoil reducer, and a few other mods.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rifleservices.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.