Thread: 2008 800 summit

Default 2008 800 summit

I am thinking about buying an 08' model Summit 800xp. Does anyone have one or rode them? What are your thoughts? I have always rode Arctic Cat but thinking about making the switch. Compared to the M8 anyone have recomendations?
    thanks

You'll be happy with either one...both great sleds. The AC guys will tell you to get the M8, the Doo guys will want you to go with the SUmmit. If you can, ride both and pick your favorite, but either way you won't go wrong.

I rode both and picked the Summit, but to each his own...

I have also rode both and would go with the M8. But part of that is watching my buddy go threw problem after problem with his ski dont

Interesting question. I had lunch with a buddy who described his Rev XP as "disposable" because it's so fragile. We were reminiscing about the Polaris Edge chassis and how we could bash alders with no worries. How the engines ran and ran and never had any issues other than routine maintenance. Now the new lightweight sleds aren't holding together, chassis or motor. Looking at the available sleds with Alaskan riding in mind? I'd say the advantage goes to the M chassis. If only they'd wring some more ponies out of the Suzuki 600 motor. The SnoPro 6 I've ridden was gutless, but the guys I know who ride M8s love them. I looked hard at a Crossfire but went with Yamaha. Time will tell whether I made the right choice.

Do you ride with a bunch of buddies? What do they ride? If you are familiar with cat and like it, stick with cat. And if your buddies ride cat, then you all know how to fix 'em in the field, likely have interchangeable spare parts, etc. Also, you know how to work on them, have some sort of relationship with a dealer, etc. Just a thought...

As far as the sleds not being tougher, I dont know if thats true, but I'd trade it any day for the ergos and comfort of the newer rides. You couldn't pay me to ride an edge chassis over an IQ, a ZX chassis over a REV, etc. There is no comparison with the older technology, IMO. I realize everyone likes to reminisce about the good 'ol days, but how good were they?

A buddy of mine has a 08 summit. He was jumping and didnt have such a soft landing. It was accutally in the paper last winter. He had a punctured lung, broken ribs, and had to be black hawked out. However his machine had absolutly no damage... I wouldnt call that "disposable" lol.