Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sport jon / Koyukuk

Default sport jon / Koyukuk

anyone ever taken a SJ from the dalton / Yukon bridge to hunt moose on the Koyukuk, "Pros / Cons?"

Cons? How could you possibly haul enough fuel on deck along with all your camping gear to do the trip?
    Sounds like fun if it could be done.
    Tennessee

Piece of Cake,
    1st of course you'd need to draw a Koyukuk permit, then take enough fuel + extra to get into Galena. While in Galena, refuel "brings lots of $$ for fuel" & then motor up into the Koyukuk to conduct your hunt.
    I'd recommend at least two different boats for safety reasons, break downs, getting stuck on sand bars, etc.
    At one time, NAC made stops into Galena, which helped to back haul your meat & any extra gear; not sure if they still make the stop but worth checking into?
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Cons? How could you possibly haul enough fuel on deck along with all your camping gear to do the trip?
    Sounds like fun if it could be done.

You don't need a permit to hunt the Koyukuk if you are a resident.
    And I hope the boat has enough deck space for all the fuel, camping gear, food, moose etc. Because they must be taken out in quarters.
    Tennessee

Smile

Snowolfe,
    As a resident or nonresident, if you plan on legally hunting units 21 & or 24 {Koyukuk drainage for moose above Giasasa Rvr} might want to recheck the AK regs, that area has been on a draw basis for a few years now!
    NAC roles thru Galena during hunting season & it's a reasonable means to backhaul your meat & extra gear back to town.
    I've successfully hunted & accomplished the trip w/ our 22' North Rivers in the past.
    Good luck if you draw a permit, the application period to submit for that particular area closes on Dec 06.

Mitch

quote=Snowwolfe;379661]You don't need a permit to hunt the Koyukuk if you are a resident.
    And I hope the boat has enough deck space for all the fuel, camping gear, food, moose etc. Because they must be taken out in quarters.[/quote]

If it is a draw area F&G forgot to tell us. As far as I know you need a draw permit to bring the antlers out whole. Otherwise you must cut one palm in half and surrender it at the check station.

You do need to stop at the check station and register for the hunt. But since you tossed in the Giasasa Rvr maybe you are correct.

Correct me if I am wrong but six of us hunted area 24D in Sept and all of us got moose and none of us drew a permit. We just applied for the registration tag. Fish and Game didnt say we did wrong.
    Tennessee

Default check with Muck

I met him this year (when he was our guardian angel due to motor problems) on his hunt on the Koyukuk. He had a Jetcraft Extreme Shallow, but also had support from other boats too. He did haul a heck of a load in there.
    If you plan on taking a merc inboard, plan on using more gas than you normally would due to extra weight. With that, you'll use lots more oil too. That is true of most boats, but especially jets. I was involved with a Merc inboard on one of our Yukon river adventures and we had those issues so I saw it first hand.
    As far as regulations, you can hunt on a registration permit issued at Ella's cabin. If you do, your antlers will be cut. Or, you can try and get drawn for several of the "trophy" hunts in different areas. Before you try for the drawing, I suggest you really look at the rules and boundaries. More than one guy had gotten caught not really knowing what he drew for until he got up there and could not reach the hunt area.
    The area biologist is Glenn Stout. He lives in Galena and is a good source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I met him this year (when he was our guardian angel due to motor problems) on his hunt on the Koyukuk. He had a Jetcraft Extreme Shallow, but also had support from other boats too. He did haul a heck of a load in there.
    If you plan on taking a merc inboard, plan on using more gas than you normally would due to extra weight. With that, you'll use lots more oil too. That is true of most boats, but especially jets. I was involved with a Merc inboard on one of our Yukon river adventures and we had those issues so I saw it first hand.
    As far as regulations, you can hunt on a registration permit issued at Ella's cabin. If you do, your antlers will be cut. Or, you can try and get drawn for several of the "trophy" hunts in different areas. Before you try for the drawing, I suggest you really look at the rules and boundaries. More than one guy had gotten caught not really knowing what he drew for until he got up there and could not reach the hunt area.
    The area biologist is Glenn Stout. He lives in Galena and is a good source of information.
    River Rat,

I will be running a SJX 21 foot. I do realize that oil and fuel consumpition will be higher with a load and that fuel costs will be exspensive. also being a resident I understadn that games regs although thank everyone for there input. Guess I was wonder how a flat bottom boat did in the chop, open bow and in the wind of the Yukon for I'm sure it would be there. In addition, I'm sure other Phantoms or SX have made this trip and any pointers would be very helpful.

I agree this would would a very long trip and a costly fuel one at that. Therefore I feel the more research I do now the more I would know what I'd be getting myself into. Thank you all for all your help

Default Koyukuk

Have done the Koyukuk 4 different times. The boat will do fine. We planned on at least 300 gallons running from the bridge to somewhere around the middle of 3 day slough. Running a 22' with 200hp outboard. Gas can be bought in Tanana, Galena, and Ruby. I have not bought any in Ruby so you will have to check. Tanana this last fall was around 5.50 a gallon and $7 a gal in Galena.
    Running a flatbottom, you just might have to pull over and wait out the wind for a while. Especially around Tanana. The big thing is budgeting the time. Don't be in a huge rush, thats what gets you in trouble. I have always run a prop so the SJ should be easy.
    Either draw the permit or hunt with registration and cut antlers. I think you knew this. NAC doesn't do it anymore but Evert's Cargo does at .30 cents a pound to Anchorage.
    If you shoot one big moose, I would be careful as to the size of the second. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Have done the Koyukuk 4 different times. The boat will do fine. We planned on at least 300 gallons running from the bridge to somewhere around the middle of 3 day slough. Running a 22' with 200hp outboard. Gas can be bought in Tanana, Galena, and Ruby. I have not bought any in Ruby so you will have to check. Tanana this last fall was around 5.50 a gallon and $7 a gal in Galena.
    Running a flatbottom, you just might have to pull over and wait out the wind for a while. Especially around Tanana. The big thing is budgeting the time. Don't be in a huge rush, thats what gets you in trouble. I have always run a prop so the SJ should be easy.
    Either draw the permit or hunt with registration and cut antlers. I think you knew this. NAC doesn't do it anymore but Evert's Cargo does at .30 cents a pound to Anchorage.
    If you shoot one big moose, I would be careful as to the size of the second. Good luck.
    Thanks for all the great advise from your trips for its helpful. Do you have miles to each town and have you gone from both Bridge on Yukon or Springs on Tanana / what is prefered?
    Wow 300 gal to 3 day slough or 2100 lbs (where is this?) sounds like I possibly need be buying fuel at towns along the way plus pack like a sheep hunt to help with weight.

No matter how you cut it you have to leave Galena with enough fuel to get you to your hunting grounds and back, with enough in reserve to use your boat while you are hunting.
    This means you most likely will have to carry at least 250 gallon on deck. Besides what my main tank held I carried 285 on deck (my first time) and as soon as we hit camp I realized I wouldnt have a lot of fuel to play around with.
    Granted, we went a little further than most people but we also took turns taking different boats every day.
    Coming back it is a different story as you only need fuel to get you to the next town. We also would burn our fuel barrels as they became empty giving us some extra breathing room on deck.
    I strongly suggest you do this with at least one other boat party. It is a total blast and we are going back again next year.
    PS: Price at Ruby was $5.80 per gallon in Sept
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    No matter how you cut it you have to leave Galena with enough fuel to get you to your hunting grounds and back, with enough in reserve to use your boat while you are hunting.
    This means you most likely will have to carry at least 250 gallon on deck. Besides what my main tank held I carried 285 on deck (my first time) and as soon as we hit camp I realized I wouldnt have a lot of fuel to play around with.
    Granted, we went a little further than most people but we also took turns taking different boats every day.
    Coming back it is a different story as you only need fuel to get you to the next town. We also would burn our fuel barrels as they became empty giving us some extra breathing room on deck.
    I strongly suggest you do this with at least one other boat party. It is a total blast and we are going back again next year.
    PS: Price at Ruby was $5.80 per gallon in Sept
    Thanks for all the info. I'm wondering if you know how many miles to different land marks on the Galena to Koyukuk, IE Koyukuk to Gisasa River, Huslia, Hog river ECT. (THANK YOU)

You can also stash a drum or 2 in the woods along the way, I've done that in the past. You wind up burning less fuel not having to carry 3-600lbs of fuel.

Also are you considering a different pitch prop for the ride home?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    You can also stash a drum or 2 in the woods along the way, I've done that in the past. You wind up burning less fuel not having to carry 3-600lbs of fuel.

Also are you considering a different pitch prop for the ride home?
    TWB, great idea stashing in the woods to help with less weight / fuel consumbtion. As far as a prop I would be have a jet. The whole trip sounds like a good time and be able to see tons of country, but also lots of work. Do you know how far most hunters typically travel up the Koyukuk? I'm not afraid of the work or time it will take to get there, I just pray my trip planning will be right on. With help from Alaskans like yourself that process will be much less cumbersome and for that I thank you.

Lots of really good help here from the folks. I do have river logs from all of our trips, but will have to look at them to provide exact mileage. Typically we run pretty fast (downriver avg 36mph). Here are our approx. time in hours, point to point and rough guesses on the distance.
    Bridge to Tanana= 3.6 hr (126mi)
    Tan to Ruby= 3.6 (125 mi)
    Ruby to Galena= 1.7 (50mi)
    Gal to Koyukuk= 1.8 (55mi)
    Koyukuk to upper 3 day= 5 (165mi)
    We figure for flat calm water, and not getting stuck, 16 hours running to where we hunt. I would guess you won't run that fast with a big load, probably more like lower 30mph if I were to guess. Rough water will add time and fuel to the trip.
    Nicest folks to buy gas from on the river are Dale and Cynthia Erickson in Tanana at Tanana Commercial. Ruby was cheaper than Galena, but might be a wait finding the man to pump the fuel.
    Do you have another boat to travel with? Several people mentioned pairing up, and it does make a lot of sense.
    Hope this helps. If I can find my logs in my mess of a garage I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I'm wondering if you know how many miles to different land marks on the Galena to Koyukuk, IE Koyukuk to Gisasa River, Huslia, Hog river ECT. (THANK YOU)
    The Gisasa dumps into the Koyukuk not too far up river from the village of Koyukuk about 65 miles or so, but if your thinking of going all the way to Huslia or the Hog, you'd better plan on bring a lot more fuel. Huslia is one hell of a long way from Galena and you more than likely won't be able to find anyone to sell you gas there. There's really no reason to travel that far anyway, the moose populations are just as good if not better lower down on the Koyukuk. Three day boasts some of the highest populations in the CUA.

i made the trip this year in my extreme shallow great trip its in the blood and i will do every year. i would not ever go without another boat going with. i learned alot from the trip and with my boat i would hall only 50 gallons extra in my boat and fuel in tanana,ruby, then galena then get your 300 gallons there. we got 2 moose and flew them out of galena for .25/lbs i think that is the only way to go its waiting for you in anchorage in a cooler when you get home. when you get to galena ask around and you can rent a pickup to hall your meat to the airport i think my boat is a great boat for the trip but i think the ideal thing to is bring a big prop boat and load it heavy because i hauled to much weight in my boat and i would like to liten it up next year. i was burning about 11 gallons a hour. i burned close to 10 gallons of oil

Quote Originally Posted by ducetodd View Post
    i made the trip this year in my extreme shallow great trip its in the blood and i will do every year. i would not ever go without another boat going with. i learned alot from the trip and with my boat i would hall only 50 gallons extra in my boat and fuel in tanana,ruby, then galena then get your 300 gallons there. we got 2 moose and flew them out of galena for .25/lbs i think that is the only way to go its waiting for you in anchorage in a cooler when you get home. when you get to galena ask around and you can rent a pickup to hall your meat to the airport i think my boat is a great boat for the trip but i think the ideal thing to is bring a big prop boat and load it heavy because i hauled to much weight in my boat and i would like to liten it up next year. i was burning about 11 gallons a hour. i burned close to 10 gallons of oil
    thanks for the information. You said 11 gal per hour and I'm wondering your RPM oraverage MPH? also what do you think you wieght was leaving the bridge / how many gallons of fuel. 10 gal of oil holly buckets thats lots of fuel. Afain I thank you for the info and feel free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    thanks for the information. You said 11 gal per hour and I'm wondering your RPM oraverage MPH? also what do you think you wieght was leaving the bridge / how many gallons of fuel. 10 gal of oil holly buckets thats lots of fuel. Afain I thank you for the info and feel free to PM me
    i had to run 5000 rpm because of the weight had 2 guys 250 gallons fuel,wall tent,stove,two big coolers of food, and beer of course.

boat loaded
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast