Thread: Buying boat in Junea, ship to ANC.

Default Buying boat in Junea, ship to ANC.

I've been searching for the right family boat for a year.
    Seems like there is an abundance of boats for sale in Junea.
    Has anyone flew down inspecteded a boat, ordered a survey, made offer, then had boat shipped to Whittier on ferry?

Dan

My brother had a boat shipped to Seward on the back of a fishing boat that was coming up. You might put an inquiry in the Juneau paper looking for anyone that's driving up out of Haines that you could pay for fuel and the ferry ticket to get it up here.

I live in Juneau and sold my 27' Uniflite to a guy in Wasilla. You won't have much luck (selling) without a trailer for the boat. They guy put the boat on the ferry. As for a marine survey that is only required if the buyer is using a boat loan to buy the boat... but its good to have one (as the buyer to know what you are buying).

The guy who bought my boat practically stole it from me but that is the economy these days... and like all boat owners I felt happy for him to take it off my hands.

By the way he actually came down and looked at the boat himself and we took it out for a spin.

In the process I recieved a many calls from people up north.

Sobie2

If you want to go this route, check the ferry schedule. I am sending a boat from Juneau to Whittier this summer and I already have space reserved, since someone was kind enough to warn me about the schedule. They only run once per month, and normally they fill up early, although with the economy, who knows this summer.

I did look at some boats down there last summer. I think it was Dave at www.alaskaboatbrokers.com showed me several boats. While I did not buy anything from him, he was a nice guy and there was no pressure. I would not hesitate to recommend him if you are looking down in SE.

Jim

I would definitely fly down and check the boat out before purchasing it. I bought one out of Seattle unseen a few years back and when I finally met up with the boat there were a bunch of little things I was unaware of. I might have chosen another boat had I seen it first.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Thumbs up Juneau Boat search

I bought a boat in Juneau through Alaska Boat Brokers a couple years back. It all worked out very well. Definetly saved some $ on my Seasport including the cost of the Ferry transport. All excellent advice here. Only thing I would add is to stay in close contact with the Alaska Ferry. If they have a full load they will send the ferry over from SE AK. My boat arrived in January on an unscheduled ferry. I think the cost was around $900. Best of luck

I bought my Seasport in Juneau, 2003. Bought a new trailer and had Boatbrokers load it on the ferry and shipped to Haines where I met the ferry and pulled it off. Motored the boat from Juneau to Haines and then trailered it back to Anchorage. Flyguy is correct in that you definately need to stay in close contact with the Ferry. I was told that if I wasn't there to pull the trailer off, or had someone there to pull it off they would charge additional $ for the trip wherever it was pulled off (i.e. if the ferry went to Skagway and returned to Haines they would charge for the additional trip). Good luck with the transport and I hope everything goes without a hitch.

Default Ship from Juneau

I just bought a boat in the Seattle area, had it surveyed, seller is going to put it on the ferry for me in Bellingham, from there it goes to Juneau then from Juneau to Whitter. A business in Juneau is going to pull it off one ferry for $85 and put it on the other ferry for another $85. (This doesn't happen on the same day.) They couldn't get me on for about 6 weeks so call as soon as you know. By the way having a prospective boat surveyed is better than you looking at it yourself as they will find problems you wouldn't.

PastorBob,

A couple of questions for you?

1. What kind of boat did you get?

2. Can I get the name and number of the company in Juneau that you are using to transfer the boat? I am planning on doing this myself this spring, but if for some reason I end up not being there, it would be nice to have a backup.

Thanks,

Jim

Default Shipping to Anchorage

Hi Jim,

I bought a Trophy 2459 that I saw on the Seattle Craig's List. It was just about what I had in mind, full cabin, two electric downriggers, Honda Kicker, galvanized trailer, etc. And for a decent price. Looked super clean in the photos, had it professionally surveyed and now I'm having a Floscan installed as it is cheaper to do down there then here. (And without the long wait.)

The fellow that is taking it off the ferry in Juneau and putting it on the next ferry is Stan at Excel Towing there in Juneau (907-723-0493).

Hope this is helpful,
    Pastor Bob

Bob, If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to get it up here?

Default 1911 mw

I just shipped a 27 Sea Sport Pilothouse last week from Bellingham to Whittier.Overall length was about 33 feet. The price from Juneau was $1415. The price from Bellingham to Juneau was $2100. This was much cheaper than any price I could find from a shipping/barge company.

Quote Originally Posted by dlinden200 View Post
    I've been searching for the right family boat for a year.
    Seems like there is an abundance of boats for sale in Junea.
    Has anyone flew down inspecteded a boat, ordered a survey, made offer, then had boat shipped to Whittier on ferry?

Dan

I think you see more boat for sale down in Juneau because they donít really have an off season that stretches for 5 to 6 months like us, gots to be nice!

Itís the off season here, it you wait a little while longer there will be an abundance of boats showing up on the market. Of course youíll pay a little more in the spring but perhaps youíll get what you want and be able to inspect it without paying for air fair. From my past experience in boat shopping I found some early spring entries coming on the market are boats that didnít sell in the fall, and these boats are often priced right.

I know how it is having the boat buying fever, I purchased our c-dory outside in the fall sight unseen but inspect by friends, then went down and pulled it back in the spring. Did a lot of sole searching and research before deciding on a boat to fit our needs. As it turned out I made the right decision on a like-new boat that seldom shows on the used marked here.

Good luck and hope you find the right boat.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Shipping boat

1911-MW, The cost was just under $3,000 for a 24 foot boat on a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorBob View Post
    1911-MW, The cost was just under $3,000 for a 24 foot boat on a trailer.
    Thanks for the info.

Little over $3000 from Seattle to Anchorage, (roughly 30+ft or so from outdrive to tip of trailer.)
    Drove it to the trucking yard from the water it came out of, unhooked trailer, signed papers, couple weeks later, picked it up with another truck, took home.