Thread: Starting out

Default Starting out

I am looking at getting into bowhunting or at least becoming competent at shooting a bow, I have some experience with long bows and recurves as an early teen. I was wondering if people had some ideas on a beginning compound bow, or a good place to look at used bows I don't have a lot of money to invest right now either.

I'd recommend going to see Paul at Archers Den in Eagle River. I was in the same position as you 3 months ago. I went to see Paul and he let me shoot a ton of bows, taught me to shoot, didn't pressure or rush my purchase and gave me a good deal on a used Bowtech. The Den is a fun place to hang out on top of it, nice range, 3D shoots weekly, just a great place, stand up guy.

Archers Den in Eagle River or Bearpaw in Wasilla. Both stand up guys.

Default Back Country Archer

on Arctic just south of Internation and once you hit the tracks it is on your right in the orage steel building, same parking lot as the air gas welding store. About mid way in the orage building.

He has a sign up, Diamond by Bow tech sale, $550 or $500, not sure. Plus then the accessories would be extra. But seems like it might have been a package deal. Call him or pop in. The new mathews reezen would be a great bow. Freakin smooth man. But advertised as a 40#-70# bow=great for a bigginer, but alot more money. Go there and shoot and pick one.

After my moose hunt, if I decide to upgrade I might sell mine for a good price.

Default Archers' Den

To start out I would recommend Archers' Den. Shoot the 3D league on Friday. Great people and lots of good tips for beginners. If you need some one on one Paul would be the man. He will have you shoot different bows untill you find the one you like.

Don't discount going back to what you know.
    Those recurves & longbows are still fun!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

+1 with Vance in fact I think he may have a hill long bow that might serve you very well.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default new deals man

You really need to go see Bill @ Backcountry. He a new deal posted, the other deal is still available I think he said. He has the new Mathews Mission complete package deal for $633. I forgot the poundage already but I belive upto 70#. Arrow are not included I would think, but he is priced very good on arrows trust me.

also has a bow tech package, but mathews is better and cheaper, Bill was so excited about the new 2009 package deal.

Also has a Mathews kid package 19#-52# with out needing new cams, again Bill is so excited about this one too he might set one up for himself he said. Then there is bow tech also, but it needs new limbs, but he doesn't have one in his hands yets.

On the Mission deal he has four new set ups coming very quickly. 562-3936

Friday night 3d at Archers Den, 7:00-9:15+-. Great time. Be there or be square. Trad shooters have a great time. Wheelie guys must use arrows, don't worry we're all watching and will remind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Friday night 3d at Archers Den, 7:00-9:15+-. Great time. Be there or be square. Trad shooters have a great time. Wheelie guys must use arrows, don't worry we're all watching and will remind you.
    LOL you'll have to watch them without me this week guys,Gunther and I are more than a little sick. (but be looking for another classic bow next week)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.