Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gasoline stabilizeer

Default gasoline stabilizeer

I know this has been on here before but can't find the thread. There was talk of where to get it for cheaper and how much per gallon and the need for it, etc. WE bought a boat last year that had an almost empty taank and the winter condesation was horrible. We fought the water in the tank and carb for the first 3 trips. So have a full tank but don't want the gas to go bad. Anyone know that thread or the stuff? Thanks you guys are always helpful!

I have used seafoam and had good luck with that product. It can be purchased at most automotive supply places.

I've had great luck with Stabil. Best price has been at Lowe's to date. I treat all my gas with Stabil, Ring Free (kind of like Techron for 2 strokes, made for Yamaha by Chevron I believe), as well as red Heet. I've seen outboards torn down that were run with RF, as well as without, and saw a BIG difference on the amount of carbon/coking - I believe RF was the difference. Have had previous years' gas cause trouble, so have started to run the tank dry in the fall, rather than store gas during the off season - be sure to use Stabil if you do.

bb

I think the stuff is snake oil and quit using it years ago. My toys sit from Sept till May and never suffered any ill effects from not using it.
    Unless it has alcohol or something similar it can not help with getting rid of water anyhow.
    Only thing I would do is drain the bowls on the carbs on your motor if it is not fuel injected and save your money.
    Tennessee

I have used it in all my toys and believe its a good idea, Spring start ups are easier and (stinkier)!
    Fuel today is low quality and seems (to me) to turn into something other than gasoline over the winter.
    I use to drain the system when they still had carbs and that worked ok, but was a bit of a pain.
    Virtually impossible to get all the fuel out of a fuel injection sytem and the nozzels/ orfices are awfull small, it doesnt take much to interfer with the performance of an injector. Some ocasional injector cleaner is good as well, Techron, IMOP is a good product for that.
    I bought some Racor stabilizer from the boat store and I think it may have some cleaner in it? I have had a small container last several years, for the small amount of cost, why fool around wondering whats up in the spring when things dont run right.

I have had many tanks of gas go bad. It also tends to clog injectors and gum up carbs when it gets old. I use Stabil and have had excellent results. Its cheap insurance that all will be well come spring

Default Info on stabil from website

I figure these are the most important of the FAQ's.

How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer keep fuel fresh?
    For 12 months when mixed into fresh gasoline. Doubling the dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years.

How much STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer should I add to fuel?
    One ounce of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer for every 2- gallons of gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends is the recommended dosage level.

I have some gas in a tank that has been there more than 2 months. Will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer make this old gas like new?
    No, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer will not restore or improve old gasoline. It will, however, stop it from degrading further. The best thing to do is treat the fuel as soon as you buy it.

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?
    2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

What if my gas has already gone stale (i.e. has gummed up)?
    If the engine starts, you should fill your tank with fresh gas and use a fuel injector cleaner product (such as 104+ Octane Boost). If your engine does not start, then you will need to seek a professional mechanic for cleaning and repairs.

Hope this helps..

Chris

As far as getting it cheaper.. Wal-Mart would be a good place to check. Usually cheaper than auto parts stores.

For what it is worth gasoline has a 12 month shelf life when it is refined. If you live around any big town in Alaska and not where gas needs to be barged in you are getting fresh fuel.
    Stabil can not turn cheap gas into good gas.
    I lay you 4-1 odds people in the bush do not even use it. Save your money and buy some extra gas

I have an open mind, can anyone here actually prove where they suffered some type of "bad" fuel damage to a fuel injected motor because they did not use Stabilizer? And remember, water or dirt in the fuel has nothing to do with "stale" fuel.
    Tennessee

I used fuel stabilizers up until 2001. Purchased a 700 Mountain Max in '99 that has 33 mm carbs on it with minute jets and the first two years battled those carbs on the fall fire up. Prior to that had an XLT with 34mm carbs that did not give me near the fits but the carbs showed internal discoloration even with the fuel stabilizer products, saws ect the same. On a whim and an arcticle, picked up Fitch Fuel Catalysts in '01 and have had no problems the last seven seasons since. I have since put them in my sawmill, boom, plow, chain saws, generator, rototiller, boat, sleds and have not had to deal with one fuel issue since, knock on whatever is handy. Fitch has extensive arcticles on their site and our military is now using them for there large bulk storage in various applications. Have not used them in my vehicle as it is constantly getting fueled but will get there next as everything else is loaded.

Outboards, Snowmachines, chain saws, Ice auger's, weedeater's, cars, 30 plus years never used a thing I have burned 20 year old gas. and not had problems. I always leave my tanks full and have from time to time run outboards dry at the end of the season. Even Airplanes have sat for more than a year. Where are you storeing it? Is it in a covered area? Warm? I'm more in the snake oil camp and I know of others that have never had any trouble for years and years with all kinds of equipment.........
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    I know this has been on here before but can't find the thread. There was talk of where to get it for cheaper and how much per gallon and the need for it, etc. WE bought a boat last year that had an almost empty taank and the winter condesation was horrible. We fought the water in the tank and carb for the first 3 trips. So have a full tank but don't want the gas to go bad. Anyone know that thread or the stuff? Thanks you guys are always helpful!
    Aprentlly none of us can read or spell, we are too busy arguing about its value, when you asked where to get the stuff?
    Stabil and Seafoam can be bought at any auto parts store, comes in a couple of diffrent sizes. Napa here in the interior. The Racor stuff came from a boat shop, it was 7 bucks for a container that would last me several years. It does offer some fuel system cleaning as well as perserve the shelf life of the fuel.
    How much fuel are you trying to treat?

Default Water Finding Paste

We fought the water in the tank and carb for the first 3 trips.
    Well I don't know what Stabil does for water in gas, I use NAPA ThermoAid, it seems to do something to the water if it's there. But how do you know water is even a problem. Can't see in the tank, it's what the old sediment bowls used to do very well, you could see thru the glass bowl and if water was going thru it would collect in the bottom. So to check for water I use a product "WATER FINDING PASTE". You put the paste on a stick or sting and dip it in the gas or what ever, if the paste come in contact with water it turns "Red".
    So have a full tank but don't want the gas to go bad.
    I put Stabil in my gas, but don't beleive it does a whole lot, I too don't have a fear of gas going bad. Can't let it sit with the cap open to the air or major venting ablity. It will evaporate, first the lighter elements leaving the heavy end material, hence the varnish looking stuff. I don't close off the valves so the gas that does evaporate is replace and the rubber goods stay wet.?
    If I spelled something wrong tuff!

Default thanks

We have an inboard and so we filled the tanks full thus hoping to eliminate the water problem. But then heard all the talk of gas destabiliztion so in hind site are trying to prevent further problems from the gas destabilizing. For the few bucks I think we will go ahead with it, the Seafoam, Stabil are pretty much the same right? Oh it isn't the spelling that counts but the information

Default snake oil

I add one can of SeaFoam and one bottle of Heet each spring to my 125 gallon boat tank. Maybe a bottle of Heet during the summer.
    Other than an occasional splash or two of Red Heet in the snowmobiles, I use nothing else. Never a problem storing any toys for the off-season.
    In the 4 years I've had this boat, I've drained a total of less than 1 teaspoon of brown-colored water from my separator.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

I put in the recommended amount of Stabil (sp) in my tank for more of a piece of mind than any thing. (67 gallons) Run it around the lake to make sure it gets in the carb (mp350) put in covered storage and call it good. 3 years it has never missed a step and starts right up in May. $0.02

After each season, I siphon out any remaining gas (which I then use in the winter for my snowblower and ice auger), then run the motor until it runs out of fuel. After it runs out, I start the engine twice more to ensure that the lines are empty. I then remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders, replace the plugs, then crank the engine one last time to spread it around. I do the exact same thing to my John Deere mower, and both have never had a problem come May. With this, I have no chance at having crappy fuel the next season, nor do I have to worry about internal corrosion during extended storage periods.

It is a fact that gas goes sour after time, how long it lasts depends on storage conditions and containers.
    Typically the longer it sits the lighter chemicals will start to evaporate leaving behind the heavier less volatile stuff, ever notice gas that has been stored a while gets darker.
    Also oxidation can happen, creating new and exicting compounds! Most likely will happen when tanks are less than full. Oxidation is what creates the gum, I have seen it, I have cleaned it out of carb float bowls.
    Sure, I have started vehicles that have old gas in them and they started and ran, usually they were older rigs w/ carbs and low compression and I didnt care that much, I just filled the tank and ran it thru.
    I would never say that you will have troubles if you dont use it, sometimes I forget to use it and hey, it still runs in the spring.
    I also have had to fight w/ stuff that has had fuel sitting in it for awhile, its one thing to have to pull a float bowl off my 61 Chev PU, its another to have clogged injectors and crap in the fuel sytem of any modern motor.
    I know I have no problems when I have used fuel stabilizer.
    For a couple of bucks a year I am going to use it, snake oil or not!
    My time and toys are worth it to me.

Boats, snowmachines, 4-wheelers, lawnmowers, log splitters....lots of seasonal use stuff for a lot of years and I've never once used fuel stabilizer, and have never had a single problem. Full tanks, half tanks, no difference.

I bought an old motorcycle and found some very serious crud in the carb....mechanic said it was due to being stored for several years with old gas without additives in it.

That being said, I have a pickup that sits outdoors all winter next to my lawn mower and boat with however much gas was in the tanks when I parked them.......I haven't ever used Stable or any other additive and I've not had any problems. I will still store - for 6 months or less - my gas fueled toys without any additive.

I'm not suggesting any of you do it but thats just what I have done for many many years.

I am not convinced it is "cheap insurance" to use it. The reason I stopped using it many years ago was because I added it to one of my atv's and in the spring I noticed a red, powderly residue inside the gas tank.
    This was the only atv I added stabilizer to and the only one we owned that had the red residue in the tank. I had to pull the tank off and clean it before I tried to start it.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast