Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would cause a round to get stuck?

Default What would cause a round to get stuck?

I was shooting my .223 on Friday and had a round fail to fire. When I tried to eject the shell the bolt wouldn't come back. I pulled on it fairly hard and it came but it didn't bring the shell with it. it appeared that the ejection mecanisum had taken a shaving of the brass off the edge of the round. I thought maybe it was getting cold, so I brought the gun in and warmed it up. The round still wouldn't come out. So I used the cleaning rod to push the round out. It was stuck fairly firmly and took a good deal of force to push it out.

Does any one know what would cause this?
    (the rifle is a kimber model 84 bolt action I was using realy cheap ammunition but I can't remember the manufacturer.)

There are a few things that can cause a case to stick. One would be a bullet that is seated too long, when you close the bolt the bullet gets jammed into the lands of the chamber and is difficult to remove. Was the round difficult to chamber? Another possibility is that the case wasn't properly sized or fired in another gun and not sized enough for your chamber.

Sometimes and extractor will jump the case head some causeing this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    There are a few things that can cause a case to stick. One would be a bullet that is seated too long, when you close the bolt the bullet gets jammed into the lands of the chamber and is difficult to remove. Was the round difficult to chamber? Another possibility is that the case wasn't properly sized or fired in another gun and not sized enough for your chamber.

It may have been slightly more dificult to chamber but not so much that it caught my attention.

The amunition was new. But I suppose it could have a factory defect.

Sometimes factory ammo has the neck damaged when the bullet is seated. What happens is the bullet snags the edge of the case mouth and part of the neck is folded over this increasing the dia of the case. It almost gurantee a hangup.

Hi Big_dog60...

Has this happened before with this rifle? Did you chamber and fire other rounds from the same box of ammo after you cleared the chamber of the stuck round? Have you fired other brand ammunition since this happened, and did the different brand ammunition work? What "really cheap ammo" (just using your words for identification purposes, not trying to be disrespectful) is this?

If you try to chamber any round and it is extraordinarily hard to close the bolt (as it was with the round that got stuck), it would be safest not to fire the round...instead, open the bolt without firing, eject the round (or tap out like you did...just be sure to place a rag in the action to catch the round when it falls free), inspect it and tell us what you see. It's probably good that the round didn't fire.

Follow-up on Paul's good suggestion, if you have a caliper measure the OAL of the rounds from the "really cheap ammunition" and see if they exceed SAMI specs for the .223.

Let us know what you find...

Safety note: pounding on a full up round on the nose of the bullet with a cleaning rod is dangerouse. NRA had a report of a similar situation that resulted in death and injuries.

Good note Allen

No, this has not happened before, but I have not had the rifle long. I ran 2 boxes of Remington ammo through the rifle without incedent. then I ran 1 box of the cheaper ammo (PMC) through without a problem. Then the second box of ammo had 4 rounds that would not fire and 1 that got stuck in the chamber. The round was not very difficult to chamber. I didn't even think about it. I just shut it like normal.

I do have a decent pair of calipers so I will check it out tonight.

I did not pound on the round. I pushed it out in the safest way I could and that was the last option I was aware of.

Ok I took a set of calipers to the shell that got stuck. The diameter of the neck was .250. But I also noticed that there were 2 grooves on the neck of the casing.

Where can I find the specs for the neck diameter?

what is the head stamp on the ammo? is is brass or steel case?

Brass case, I'd have to look tonight to see exactly what was marked on it.

Question tappin out

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Safety note: pounding on a full up round on the nose of the bullet with a cleaning rod is dangerouse. NRA had a report of a similar situation that resulted in death and injuries.
    I agree that it can be dangerous and some of us at one time or another have done it, but I'm definitely open to another way to do it. Other alternatives?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default I don't see any other way either

but the fact that the round was both a "dud" and stuck would give me the heeby Jeebies.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Yea, I was a little worried, and that was my last resort. I couldn't think of another way. When I pushed it out I made sure that every thing was as safe as possible. If it had gone off then the worst that would have happened would have been some damage to my hands and a few broken windows

Hey big dog60, sorry I didn't read your thread more carefully before responding last time...I thought that I had read it was difficult to chamber the round...sorry about that, my error sir.

Back on track....Do the rounds that failed to fire have impact marks on the primers from the firing pin? If so, do the firing pin impact marks look the same as the rounds that did fire? Are the bullet weights of the Remington ammunition the same as the PMC? How does the overall lengths of the Remington rounds compare with the PMC? How variable is the OAL from round to round for that box of PMC ammunition that you have? Have you asked Kimber if they have heard of this before with PMC ammunition for your model rifle chambered in .223? The grooves on the case neck are suspicious...did any of the ammunition that went bang (either Remington or PMC) have similiar grooves?

Kind of a long string of questions, but the answers could help narrow this down.

ok, I can't answer them all off hand but I will do my best.

There are impact marks on the dud rounds. I didn't compare the two but at a glance the impact marks did not look unusual.
    I don't know about the bullet weight and the length I'll try to look tonight.
    I have not contacted Kimber perhaps I should try.
    I don't know if any of the other rounds had the grooves. I will look.

Thanks

Ok the fireing pin marks on the dud rounds are a little bigger, but I suspect that is because I hit them twice. forgot to check bullet weights sorry. The over all length of all the unfired rounds I had varied by + or - 1 thousanths of an inch, with the exception of the round that got jambed. The round that got jamed was 3 thousanths of an inch shorter then the median of the other rounds.
    As for the grooves none of the other rounds had the grooves, fired or un fired.

Was this the Ar and the box of 3D ammo out at the range between Anchor Point and Homer about a week ago?

3 D is reloaded ammo. It is not uncommon for them to have mis-sized cases, untrimmed brass or bullets seated too far into the rifling.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

No, sorry, I was in big lake shooting at a private gravel pit with factory made ammo. The rifel was a Kimber model 84

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast