Thread: Stuck Case ?

Default Stuck Case ?

I have a stuck 223 case in my RCBS die, it was lube prior to tryng to deprime it. How can I grt it out?

Bigfisherman

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

the best way forward by far, is to go and by a stuck case remover kit from RCBS, Lyman, Hornady etc. It will have everything you need.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Stuck Case

Have heard you can sometimes put in the fridge, or, depending on location, outside.......

Default +1

Buy the stuck case remover set ! You'll need it again if you reload. AND the inconveinence of haveing to stop loading will be avoided the next time.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default stuck case

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Buy the stuck case remover set ! You'll need it again if you reload. AND the inconveinence of haveing to stop loading will be avoided the next time.
    Get the set or put together your own. You might not need it often but when you NEED it, you DEFINTELY NEED it. As another idea ask around if you are in a decent sized community someone will have one and be willing to show you how to use it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I,,, 2nd, 3rd, or Fourth the suggestion of getting an RCBS Stuck Case Remover.

You could make your own, but it'd probably cost more, if you don't have the stuff on hand, because yer talkin bout a drill bit, a tap, nut, bolt, maybe a washer, and use a socket that fits the situation.

For example, my RCBS Stuck Case remover consists of a drill bit, tap, allen head bolt, an allen wrench, and well, it's shaped like a socket, but without the shoulders for a nut or the square hole for the ratchet.

THE REASON cases get stuck in an RCBS die is BECUZZZZZ, you needed more LUBE on the BASE of the CASE.

I've never had a stuck case, EXCEPT with RCBS dies, although I dunno if that's significant.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Or make your own. Take the die apart. Drill a hole in the bottom (the primer hole). Tap the hole. Find the right size socket that will mate with the bottom of the die. Take a bolt, put a washer on it, feed it through the socket hole and into the tapped case. Tighted up on the bolt and the case will come out.

Talking Thanks for all support

I was able to drill and tape the case to 1/4" and bull it out. Thanks for all the information.

Bigfisherman
    '

Default Simple solution to common problem

I've been re-loading for over 40 years now and have never purchased a stuck case remover.

I just back the knurled nut off the decapping rod and screw it in forcing the case out of the die. It has worked everytime for me with quite a number of calibers over the years.

Once the case is unstuck and partially out of the die I turn the case until I can pick up a piece of the undamaged case rim and pull it out of the die and over the expander button. I toss the case and I'm back in business after I screw the expander rod back into position.

I think I may have bent a decapping rod or two but I always keep a supply of spare rods anyway.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default stuck cases

The best lubricant i have found for reloading believe it or not is good old vaseline

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've been re-loading for over 40 years now and have never purchased a stuck case remover.

I just back the knurled nut off the decapping rod and screw it in forcing the case out of the die. It has worked everytime for me with quite a number of calibers over the years.

Once the case is unstuck and partially out of the die I turn the case until I can pick up a piece of the undamaged case rim and pull it out of the die and over the expander button. I toss the case and I'm back in business after I screw the expander rod back into position.

I think I may have bent a decapping rod or two but I always keep a supply of spare rods anyway.

This has been my technique for a few decades and it works and is much quicker than a stuck case removal kit with the drilling and tapping of the case. I can load a 100 rounds before I could go through the the stuck case routine.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfisherman View Post
    I have a stuck 223 case in my RCBS die, it was lube prior to tryng to deprime it. How can I grt it out?

Bigfisherman
    These are almost always the result of the wrong lube or not in the right places than they are not enough. Get some Imperial sizing die wax.

Loosen the lock nut on the decapping rod and screw it down and force the case out the die. Then turn the die body (and the case) and slide the shell holder over some good rim and try again.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?