Thread: What Happened Here? .308 case ribbed

Default What Happened Here? .308 case ribbed

Anyone care to guess what happened to these, .308 Federal Case. They were picked up at the range and feel as if they were fire formed to a chamber with rifling's cut in. They were also very sooty all over as you can see in the rim and neck area. They were nearly completely black from soot.

Anyway would like your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlack View Post
    Anyone care to guess what happened to these, .308 Federal Case. They were picked up at the range and feel as if they were fire formed to a chamber with rifling's cut in. They were also very sooty all over as you can see in the rim and neck area. They were nearly completely black from soot.

Anyway would like your thoughts!

These from the look of the crease at the bottom of the brass were fired in the wrong chamber, in other words they were fired I believe by mistake in possibly a WSM but they sure do not look like someone was trying to fire form them in any improved chamber. These case almost came apart near the base. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see what did happen.

PS There sure was a lot of blow by that collected on the very bottom of the cases???? Interesting indeed!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

This was posted on another forum and a guy using the user name skipper has what sounds like is the reason, here is his quote:

The HK 91/93 series had fluted chambers to facilitate extraction.

In other words it was fired in a HK rifle, boy did I ever miss this one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yup HK 7.62 chambers are fluted and leave the case dirty. They are reusable after cleaning though, Fluting remains. I used to have and HK91.

Agree with above. Fired from an HK-91 or CETME.
    Now what ?

lol why am i always last lol

but yeah was fired from a hk probably.

Ironically enough, there was one for sell at 2 dice pawn in fbks a while back... shame they wanted 3200 for it though.

Ditto on the fluted chambers but that ammo was extremely corroded (blue) as it shows on the rim cut out. That is a very bad idea to fire such ammo expecially in a fluted chamber as there would be no gas seal if the case ruptured. The chamber was also excessively dirty. I 've fired tens of thousands of rounds throught G-3's, 91's and 93's and it came out much cleaner than that.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

MURPH, where have you been? It seems like weeks since you have shown yourself around here...Anyways, I just had a quick question. I thought it was marginal at best picking up loose cases at the range to reuse for handloading, especially ones that look so gnarly in the first place. Correct me if I'm mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    MURPH, where have you been? It seems like weeks since you have shown yourself around here...Anyways, I just had a quick question. I thought it was marginal at best picking up loose cases at the range to reuse for handloading, especially ones that look so gnarly in the first place. Correct me if I'm mistaken...
    Not planning to reuse these. The gnarly looks is what caught my eye. I had to bring home a couple to invetigate. After inspection I was still clueless so I posted on a few boards to get the answer. Just did not know it was such common knowledge.

So its not common practice to bring home brass from the range for re-use?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    So its not common practice to bring home brass from the range for re-use?
    There are those who do, but I'm sure not one.

There's no way to tell if the brass on the ground was fired with a corrosive primer, or in a rifle with slightly excessive headspace, or had been trimmed 6 times and had paper-thin walls, or was work-hardened, or...

Just not safe.

Default Thanks mauser

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    There are those who do, but I'm sure not one.

There's no way to tell if the brass on the ground was fired with a corrosive primer, or in a rifle with slightly excessive headspace, or had been trimmed 6 times and had paper-thin walls, or was work-hardened, or...

Just not safe.
    And thats the impression I was under. Thanks!