Thread: What is the differnece between AR lowers

Default What is the differnece between AR lowers

Is it just quality of material?

Thanks

Nate

The AR-15 chambered for 5.56/.223 should be manufactured to an industry standard with parts interchangeable between makes. Quality of parts and materials used would be the biggest differences.

There is no industry standard for AR models chambered in calibers other than 5.56.

90% of the lowers are manufactured to industry standard, like the other fellow said. Now there are some companies, like sun devil mfg that like to modify the lowers. Theirs has an adjustable trigger stop built in, etc.

For the most part tho, if you get a reputable company's lower, you will be fine. The parts are all swappable. Its not too difficult to build a complete one from a stripped lower also.

Thanks for the replies!!!

The only significant differences that I know of are billet (vs cast or forged) and stainless lowers. Those each have caught my eye, but I think their necessity or increased performance over a standard lower are nil.

Of course stainless would be much heavier and thus defeats the purpose of a lightweight carbine.