Thread: From rainy mallards to sunny sea ducks!!

Default From rainy mallards to sunny sea ducks!!

From rainy day mallards to sunny sea ducks. We had a blast today shooting some sea ducks out in Prince William Sound. The bird numbers weren't quite what we were hoping for, but at least the sun shone through the clouds and gave us some relief from the bad weather we've been having lately. It snowed on us all the way to our hunting location and the bay was filled with slush ice, but we managed to connect on a few barrows golden eye, harlequins, and a red breasted merganser. Scott has been able to collect 8 different species of birds in the last two days of hunting. Tomorrow we're headed back out to the salt water in search of a scoter slam (surf, white wing, and black) and to try and take a couple of old squaw. That should fulfill all the birds he made this trip to collect if we can get it done!
    Here are a few pics from today:

Dig the pictures man!

Are you guys hunting out of a boat, or just from a rocky point or somthing of the likes?

The snow covered rock in the first pic is our hunting "hide" for this area. It sits about 25 yards off the tip of the wooded point that you see. We hunt long lines as the water is about 30 feet deep all around the point. The only problem with the spot is you have birds coming in from all directions and the rock is so tall that you can't see behind you!!

You still the man

We hunt a spot very similar here quite often. It works out really great, like you we have the same problem, cant see in all directions and they come from everywhere!

Default decoys?

Hey could you post some pics of your saltwater deek spread some time? Also (never hunted sea ducks before) do you call them, or is it mainly pass shooting with decoys? Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Nice

Matt,

Nice pics...Sure wish the weather had cooperated for that spot when I was there. I'm thinking I outta fly back next week!

Not a problem. This picture is from the rock that we hunt and only shows part of the spread, but it should give you some idea of how we do it. Our birds are decoying to the spread rather than just being passing shots. However, you don't call to sea ducks. You're better off just getting a black flag to wave in order to initially get the birds attention. From there on out just let the decoys do their job.

Jay, you're welcome to come back out, but I'll be back at work next week and out to sea. I need to check my schedule and see if I'm off that following weekend. If so that'll be my last two days of hunting before the season ends. We're actually hoping for some "bad" weather now so that we can get back after the mallards. Scott has collected 9 species so far in three hunts. All he needs now are the scoters. We're going to try for those today back where you and Alex hunted with me.

Default Harlequins

Glad to see you did not overkill on harlequins. Get your mounters and go on to other birds. That's the way to do it. No need to kill a limit of Harleys or old squaws. To petty of a bird to shoot out. Like your stile. Good hunting Akrick