Thread: Mendeltna Creek

Default Mendeltna Creek

Has anyone floated Mendeltna Creek ? My neighbor is retired & said back his day they would float it in canoes & had a good time grayling fishing.
    I wondered if this was still possible & anything to know about. I was hoping to put in off the lake lousie road & float to the hwy in late Aug. or so.

I did that float back in the late 80's in a canoe...AWESOME fishing for grayling..I wanna say we breezed through in 2 days of fishing/stopping to fish......Be interested to hear if others have more recent experience...

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Has anyone floated Mendeltna Creek ? My neighbor is retired & said back his day they would float it in canoes & had a good time grayling fishing.
    I wondered if this was still possible & anything to know about. I was hoping to put in off the lake lousie road & float to the hwy in late Aug. or so.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Ill bite. Id love to know also. I have walked into it and had some great grayling fishing.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I did that float back in the late 80's in a canoe...AWESOME fishing for grayling.....
    What time of year did you do it? Spring? Fall?

As I recall it was right after Labor Day Weekend.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Becareful. Around 2 or 3 years ago it did not open to fishing untill around the 15th of june. I almost got in trouble. I caught a huge grayling and released it. Got back to the truck and then saw the sign. Check the regs as usual

We were up there on memorial day weekend not labor day sorry. Either way check the regs, Some streams open on different dates up north too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I haven't floated it but I had a friend scout it from the air because I was interested. He mentioned that it looked to have numerous sweepers/blockers as well as some beaver activity. He also saw an inordinate amount of grizzlies in the upper stretches. I'm not trying to put anybody off, just sharing what was conveyed to me. It made me look elsewhere because I wasn't interested dragging a raft over all of the obstacles. It may have changed, this was three years ago. A canoe may also be a better option.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by brackman47 View Post
    I haven't floated it but I had a friend scout it from the air because I was interested. He mentioned that it looked to have numerous sweepers/blockers as well as some beaver activity. He also saw an inordinate amount of grizzlies in the upper stretches.....
    ADFG has identified Mendeltna Creek as an area of high brown bear feeding concentrations.

No closed season, too.............

...A canoe may also be a better option.
    I'm sure a lightly loaded canoe would be the only way to go.

We put in off of oilwell road and still saw a fair number of bears.

A canoe would be the best bet...Or a smaller raft toting a chainsaw....

Default floatilla anyone

It sounds like we need to have a floatilla with chainsaws & bearhunting.
    Then we can go back to leisurley floating for grayling.