Thread: nome Dave

Default nome Dave

I want to go from Willow to Nome some time this winter,how big of a machine do I need and how long will take to make the trip.and.anyone outther want to make the trip together

You have to be with a partner or group and you get to utilize the same checkpoints as the racers. Advantages of the Trail Class is you aren't under any pressure to go super fast so you can run at whatever pace is comfortable.

Ride a comfortable machine and know how to fix it.

It's on my bucket list (maybe in '11)

The other option is to ride along with the Iditarod if you don't want to deal with the Irondog and do it on your own.

The biggest hurdle is getting a room at the other end in Nome around Iditarod time. It's pretty cheap to ship your sled back from Nome on N.A.C. to Anchorage if you don't want to ride back again. I know guys that have done it with differing machines from Bravos to 660 Turbo Bearcats.

If you are going the independent route and taking a freight sled a full size work machine is probably the best to use. Bearcat, Skandic, Viking, etc...

There's a guy on the doo talk forum from Nome that did the Iron Dog on a Tundra 300.

A couple of friends want us to do it as a group, and the one who hatched the idea, worked on a cost spreadsheet to do it and I think the low end estimate (fuel, food, spare parts, shipping the sled back, airline ticket back, etc, etc.....) was $2500 and the high end being at $3500-$4000.

I don't remember the details because the enthusiasm for doing it cooled on the realization on the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The other option is to ride along with the Iditarod if you don't want to deal with the Irondog and do it on your own.
    Following after the race?

I'd imagine there'd be sections of the trail just beat to crap.

A few years back some Friends rode out past Rainy and camped to watch the teams go by. The trail out was fine, but coming back they said it was trashed in areas. In the areas where the dog teams rode the brake, the rut was just the right size and depth to stick a track in and wedge it. The skis were on the trail while the track was down in the rut and not quite wide enough in some areas for the track to go through without getting wedged in.

I went to Nikolai and back to Big Lake with a friend one year. Another time I went from Nenana to Nome by myself. I was younger then (59).

It can be done with almost any machine, the best one would be a fan cooled machine.
    I would not bring a pull sled, if I did it would be a very light one.

You need to do a lot of planning and finding a room in Nome is not the biggest problem, that is if you know what your doing.

Ken- You just ride ahead of the lead teams and spectate. My friend that did it a couple years ago just stayed with the top ten teams. Sometimes he road with the trail breakers/markers. Once you are to Nikolai the entire trail is pretty much a village to village superhighway. He shipped his machine back from Nome, but said the next time he might just ride south to the Yukon than ride back to Fairbanks.

I agree on the cost thing. It's an adventure my son and I want to do and we'll be saving up for many years to do it.

Rutting Moose- How did you carry your survival gear like a sleeping bag, etc? With a work machine I guess you would have room on the back. What about extra gas?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Rutting Moose- How did you carry your survival gear like a sleeping bag, etc?
    There's an upholstery guy in Palmer that's done some custom work for some of the Iron Dog Teams.

He re-did OEM seats; hollowing out some of the foam for a sleeping bag compartment. Pull the seat cover back to take the bag out.

On the trip to Nikolai I used a Polaris Widetrack, my friend had Tundra. We had all our gear, including 5 gal of gas on the back of the snowmobile. You donít need a lot of gear only the right gear.

We did not have any special bags made.

Going to Nome I used a pull sled that I made. I wanted 10 gal of extra gas and a lot of survival gear, tools, and parts.

Going to Nome I used a pull sled that I made. I wanted 10 gal of extra gas and a lot of survival gear, tools, and parts.
    Gotcha. If we go, it will be all the way to Nome. However, I find it prudent to at least bring a tent for shelter if things go bad for some reason. Especially if I'm traveling with one of my children. I was planning on taking a small UHMW sled just big enough for our gear, but the other machine wouldn't tow a sled.