Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic salmon on the Ninilchick.........

Default Atlantic salmon on the Ninilchick.........

I am pretty sure I caught an atlantic salmon on the ninilchick this past july...has anyone heard of any other reports?

Haven't heard of that happening before... I would report it to ADF&G because I'm sure they'd like to know about it.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I hope it isn't.....Last thing we need.

Are you sure it wasn't a steelhead?

Yup, sure........I heard some may have escaped from fish farms in canada.

probably an escapee, a few swim this way from time to time, report it to F&G
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fish and Game have been handing out ID cards with liscenses that last or year or two to help ID them. They would like to know about it and a picture for them is appreciated
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

You're right that some Atlantic Salmon escape fish farm pens off the coast of Canada, but finding one in Kenai Peninsula waters is extremely rare as far as I know. It's not unusual to hear about them being caught in Washington, Oregon, and California though.
    If you report it, please let us know what F&G tells you because I'm sure there would be plenty of folks, such as myself, that would be interested to know how rare this is.
    www.akfishology.com

Does not suprise me, I remember reading about a Canadian fish farm losing a few thousand fish this past summer. If they are going to raise salmon why do they not raise PACIFIC Salmon? Or is there something I am not getting? Pacific on one side, Atlantic on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post
    Does not suprise me, I remember reading about a Canadian fish farm losing a few thousand fish this past summer. If they are going to raise salmon why do they not raise PACIFIC Salmon? Or is there something I am not getting? Pacific on one side, Atlantic on the other.
    Pacific salmon are not as conductive to aquaculture as atlantic salmon... It is however what all of our salmon hatcheries are doing, farming pacific salmon. Something like 30% of the fish escape on an average yearly basis, and many of them think "hmm I'll swim up that river and spawn" just another reason not eat farmed fish (if the mercury, dye, and terrible taste weren't enough)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

2 years ago someone caught a coho in the Ct river on the vermont side. We'll trade ya. oh yeah on a egg sucking leach...D

I know that the Ninilchick has both wild and hatchery raised salmon that run back to it. They do look a little bit different. Could it maybe have been a hatchery fish?
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Nope,, the only real distinguishable difference between the hatchery and native king that I know of is the absence of the adipose fin on the hatchery fish. I wish i had taken a picture of it. Pretty sure Atlantic salmon.

Default For the biology types...

Is there any chance that an Atlantic salmon could interbreed (or is that interspawn) with our native fish?

And I can't resist, if they did it with a Dog Salmon, would the offspring be Mutt Salmon?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I don't believe Atlantic and Pacific salmon can inter breed.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I don't believe Atlantic and Pacific salmon can inter breed.
    I think they can actual well I know that pinks chums cohos and kings can interbreed (they normally don't because of run timing and spawning location) so I would assume that Atlantic salmon could too. but just a theory

Pacific salmon that interbreed result in steril hybrids I believe. But I think Atlantic salmon are a very different fish.

Ok I did a quick bit of research. Pacific salmon are all the same genus but atlantic salmon are a different genus. They are all the same down to the family clasification. So it seems doubtfull that they could sucsessfully interbreed.

I think the bigger worry is that multiple Atlantic Salmon could find their way into our rivers and spawn successfully, creating an exotic/invasive run of Atlantic salmon that would compete directly with our native fishes for resources and spawning territory. The results of such an occurance would likely be devastating, which is one reason why aquaculture is such a dangerous gamble.
    www.akfishology.com

Pretty good article here about the issue.

Scientists believe farmed Atlantic salmon are incapable of interbreeding with Pacific salmon—even in a lab, that's a match that's been nearly impossible to make. But, like any nuisance species, Mecum says, the invaders could cause other trouble for Alaska's wild stocks by competing for resources or transmitting disease.
    Fish and Game biologists still think it's highly unlikely that Atlantic salmon raised on farms hundreds of miles away could win the battle against wild salmon for resources and habitat. Experiments to purposely introduce them into the wild have not been very successful. Then again, biologists are alert to the possibility that nature could surprise them...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast