Thread: Fishing from Shore in Seward

Default Fishing from Shore in Seward

We are landing in Anchorage on July 18th, fishing our way to Seward for a Shark Charter on July 23rd. We would like to be in the Seward Area on the 22nd. Was thinking about hitting a local stream, Quartz or something.............but was thinking I would check to see if there is something a little different in the area................maybe bank fishing on the ocean near Seward for something......any thoughts.

When I'm in Seward if theres no salmon running or its a weak run I always just go down to the beach where it drops off and will put herring on a small hook and catch rockfish of all sorts throughout the day... Its a blast

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    When I'm in Seward if theres no salmon running or its a weak run I always just go down to the beach where it drops off and will put herring on a small hook and catch rockfish of all sorts throughout the day... Its a blast
    It is more likely that these guys are greenling if you are up by the RV Park. But, I have caught some rockfish over by the Sealife Center and along the road to Miller's just off shore in my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    We are landing in Anchorage on July 18th, fishing our way to Seward for a Shark Charter on July 23rd. We would like to be in the Seward Area on the 22nd. Was thinking about hitting a local stream, Quartz or something.............but was thinking I would check to see if there is something a little different in the area................maybe bank fishing on the ocean near Seward for something......any thoughts.
    I'm sure you already have The Highway Angler....Try Ptarmigan Creek on the way into Seward.

As far as fishing from shore, I'd have to check the run timing but I think off the top of my head that the Chum Salmon should be off of Tonsina Crk around that time....It's a bit of a hike, and Chum aren't generally a great eating fish...But they are a BALL when they are still ocean fresh on light tackle.... Give Mike and Sheri a holler http://www.millerslandingak.com/ they'd be in the loop as to what is best for that timeframe....

How goes the search for transportation btw?

'Luck
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    It is more likely that these guys are greenling if you are up by the RV Park. But, I have caught some rockfish over by the Sealife Center and along the road to Miller's just off shore in my boat.

I fish out by the sealife center and from shore near the waterfall, usally pick up some copper rockfish, always catch greenling, bullheads, other types of rockfish, even catch starfish on accident every now n then

Its fun not knowin what you're gonna pull in- hell my friend caught a 5 lb butt without me there before =(

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm sure you already have The Highway Angler....Try Ptarmigan Creek on the way into Seward.

As far as fishing from shore, I'd have to check the run timing but I think off the top of my head that the Chum Salmon should be off of Tonsina Crk around that time....It's a bit of a hike, and Chum aren't generally a great eating fish...But they are a BALL when they are still ocean fresh on light tackle.... Give Mike and Sheri a holler http://www.millerslandingak.com/ they'd be in the loop as to what is best for that timeframe....

'Luck
    Just don't fish for em in the creek, no salmon fishing in res bay drainage except the ressurection river
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I sure do and I have looked at Ptarmigan and was thinking of fishing there, but we will be doing alot of inland river fishing. After the charter we're spending four days hiking down from the Upper Russian and will be finishing our trip near Talkeetna and along the Denali. Thought I would check to see if there is anything unique to do different on the 22nd near Seward.

I think I like the idea from Fishwacker, catching seafish for a day would be interesting.

The search for an RV continues. I did get a PM from one site member. I asked a couple questions about condition and price and have not hear back. I'm not real worried, we have the money for a regular rental, just trying to cut corners.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaPowderMonkey
    Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie

'Luck
    Just don't fish for em in the creek, no salmon fishing in res bay drainage except the ressurection river

A. I said "Off of".

B. Your only a summer fish counter, stop acting like a real bio.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

ummm you don't have to be a biologist to read and remind folks of the regulation...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ummm you don't have to be a biologist to read and remind folks of the regulation...

ummmmmm...And you also don't need to point things out that aren't there....

"Off of Tonsina" is not "In Tonsina"....But hey, if you need to pad your post count ... Have at it....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    ummmmmm...And you also don't need to point things out that aren't there....

"Off of Tonsina" is not "In Tonsina"....But hey, if you need to pad your post count ... Have at it....
    People are dumb and don't read the regs, get over it...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    People are dumb

Ain't that the truth....

anyone ever try fishing this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by bryasch View Post
    anyone ever try fishing this time of year?
    Sure, but not anywhere close to Soldotna.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Greenling are fun on light tackle, though. For that matter, just about anything you catch is. Wait til you hook that odd 20 lb cod on 6lb test...lol. It's happened to me fishing from the dock in Seldovia.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Greenling are fun on light tackle, though. For that matter, just about anything you catch is. Wait til you hook that odd 20 lb cod on 6lb test...lol. It's happened to me fishing from the dock in Seldovia.

Like you, unless I am halibut fishing on the North Gulf Coast, Cook Inlet, or some secrets spots in PWS, I fish with the lightest gear possible. And even when fishing for halibut, I have a heavy salmon pole with superbraid on it that I love to jig for butts with. Talk about a kick - that is until you lose all you line to the monster below. After that episode I learned a new trick, plane em up with the boat motor. It hasn't failed me yet.......

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post

Like you, unless I am halibut fishing on the North Gulf Coast, Cook Inlet, or some secrets spots in PWS, I fish with the lightest gear possible. And even when fishing for halibut, I have a heavy salmon pole with superbraid on it that I love to jig for butts with. Talk about a kick - that is until you lose all you line to the monster below. After that episode I learned a new trick, plane em up with the boat motor. It hasn't failed me yet.......