Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An unfortunate reality

Unhappy An unfortunate reality

Well a buddy and I went out to Figure 8 lake today thinking for sure we'd get into a few pike. Put out our 10 tip ups and five hours later we left having only 5 flags and icing 2 small pike. There were guys around us and they had roughly the same luck. Small fish and few and far between. I think this lake is finally giving in to all the pressure. It's been just about fished clean. I plan to go back a couple more times and I could be wrong and I plan to try some new spots but I think that lake has finally given up the ghost. What do you guys think?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default I think...

... that any lake that isn't supposed to be a pike lake but becomes one, and then gets cleaned out, is a job well done. Couldn't really say that about any other over-fishing, now could you?

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Well a buddy and I went out to Figure 8 lake today thinking for sure we'd get into a few pike. Put out our 10 tip ups and five hours later we left having only 5 flags and icing 2 small pike. There were guys around us and they had roughly the same luck. Small fish and few and far between. I think this lake is finally giving in to all the pressure. It's been just about fished clean. I plan to go back a couple more times and I could be wrong and I plan to try some new spots but I think that lake has finally given up the ghost. What do you guys think?
    Hey, AKF&G would be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... that any lake that isn't supposed to be a pike lake but becomes one, and then gets cleaned out, is a job well done. Couldn't really say that about any other over-fishing, now could you?

How is this not supposed to be a pike lake? please explain that to me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

They caught alot fish out of that lake last year during the derby.

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    They caught alot fish out of that lake last year during the derby.

That's one thing that pissed me off about that derby, it inspired people to feel the need to get rid of the pike in lakes they really need to have some repect for (Flathorn, Figure 8, Trapper) lakes that are strictly pike lakes. I thought it was a great idea as far as trying to get them out of the valley lakes.

Northern pike are not indigenous to figure 8 lake and therefore were never intended to be there.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Northern pike are not indigenous to figure 8 lake and therefore were never intended to be there.
    That is true, but seeing the numbers that were in there, would it be it wise to simply get rid of such a magnificent resource or simply just have some common respect for it so everyone can still enjoy it?

The way I see it, there would be no point to eradicate it of pike.

Default Here's an interesting question...

So then how did pike get in that lake?

Is there a machine trail that runs to Alexander Lake I hear its full of pike.

Alexander is a long run out there. I have some lakes that are much closer and are fabulous fishing according to some of my buddies who have been out there.

How is this not supposed to be a pike lake? please explain that to me.
    The scoop on Pike from ADF&G.:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State.../FA/pike.about

And the list of Pike infested waters:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...pike.SCListing

Thumbs up

Thanks for the links

hurray its been fished out enough that now there will be no pike salmon or trout!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There is the possibility that they might not be biting either. I'm guessing there will always be pike in it, maybe just not the catch rate like it used to be (like 30 an hour). I don't really get the thrill anyway in the winter, they fight like a wet sock. My six year old can pull out a 34 inch pike with his hands no problem.

Mark

Originally Posted by Rick P
    That is true, but seeing the numbers that were in there, would it be it wise to simply get rid of such a magnificent resource......
    If possible, yes.

But it isn't possible.

Mark

So then how did pike get in that lake?
    Migrated up the creek, just like the red salmon used to.

I'm just sick of hearing about trout and salmon, trout and salmon. I mean every lake in the Mat-su has trout except for the nancy lake area lakes. How many trout lakes do we need? I do understand the need to keep them limited though, they'll spread throughout all the water, I just feel that lakes like Figure 8 and Flathorn need limits because they are obviously not going to become a trout lake again.

Default What you are failing to take into account...

I'm just sick of hearing about trout and salmon, trout and salmon. I mean every lake in the Mat-su has trout except for the nancy lake area lakes. How many trout lakes do we need? I do understand the need to keep them limited though, they'll spread throughout all the water, I just feel that lakes like Figure 8 and Flathorn need limits because they are obviously not going to become a trout lake again.
    ... pike_palace is that those lakes were once prime habitat for NATIVE rainbows and salmon. While it is true that most lakes in Southcentral have trout, char, and land-lockeds in them, these are not native fish, but planters.

There is probably no way to stop the pike infestation; only slow its spread. That is why the state allows five lines and a generous or no limit for pike. The state even allows such methods as bow, and spear fishing to harvest them. The ADFG wants them annihilated, not turned into trophy fish.

I too love pike fishing. I used to do a lot of it in the Bristol Bay region, but they are native to the west and north of the Alaska Range, and have reached an equilibrium with other species over the eons, so management of pike must be more conservative in those areas so as not to disturb that balance.

Protecting pike in lakes where they don't belong would be analogous to protecting introduced pheasants or turkeys should they gain a foothold and begin to force out the native species of grouse. Some hunters would rather have the pheasants and turkeys, but they are not a part of the eco-system, and could cause other problems in the food chain.

Many states are dealing with terrible problems with invasive species, but Alaska has done pretty well in managing her native species. Allowing sportsmen to be a means to manage this problem is a very generous thing for the State to do when they could just poison the lakes to get rid of pike and be done with it.

Pike fishing in SC is, and will probably continue to be, for a while, an enjoy-it-while-you-can fishery.

Mark

I'm just sick of hearing about trout and salmon, trout and salmon. I mean every lake in the Mat-su has trout except for the nancy lake area lakes. How many trout lakes do we need?........
    The problem isn't that we don't have enough trout lakes. The problem is that the pike are taking over. It's just a matter of time before there will be precious few trout lakes.

More importantly, it's pretty much established that pike will put an end to sockeye runs. That's why you don't see sockeyes in the Yukon drainage.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast