Thread: Teleflex Steering System

Question Teleflex Steering System

I noticed last summer that there was a couple of inches of play in my steering wheel.Not being familiar with this system,When is it considered time to replace it?(besides 100% malfunction) This is the QC type and seems to work ok except for the bit of play

It is a push-pull type of system (done with cables) for lack of a better description. I would inspect everything to make sure it ok and adjust the slop out of it if is buggin you. Personally, I don't think it is that bad.

Default Teleflex Steering ?

If it's anywhere near 10 years old - I would replace the cables. Yes they can be adjusted - but the reason there is so much play is they are becoming worn. It's not something you want to go out while under way in bad weather.

Replace the cables, and carry a spare steering box (for lack of better words.) Or, take this opportunity to switch to hydraulic, and never rue the day.

Default Slop in Wheel

If I'm not mistaken, these types of steering cables work on a "rack & pinion" concept. The housing keeps the cable (rack) up tight to the gear (pinion). If there is slop in your steering wheel, either the housing, gear or cable is worn. Any additional wear and your gear will likely start to pop over the teeth on the cable, or in other words, strip out. Considering the cost benifit ratio, I would replace it.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default No feedback

if you replace the cables get the "no feedback" type. I did a few years ago and I am very please with them, altough it took a little getting use to it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

What is this "no feed-back" system you speak of oh king of the bass?
    I want one.

Thumbs up Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    What is this "no feed-back" system you speak of oh king of the bass?
    I want one.
    Try this. It is actually a steering box with new cables. It takes a little getting use too as it feels like you have stiff steering. But you don't feel that jurk on the steering wheel when you hit a wave or wake. Have you ever had the steering wheel jerked out of your hand?

May have to copy and paste:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

BTW: Bassking was my wife's idea.

She is from Missouri=Bass Fishing

I am from Alaska= King Salmon Fishing

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by Todo View Post
    I noticed last summer that there was a couple of inches of play in my steering wheel.Not being familiar with this system,When is it considered time to replace it?(besides 100% malfunction) This is the QC type and seems to work ok except for the bit of play
    Is it a jet or prop?
    I replaced my helm last fall and was advised against a no feedback for a jet OB, for the life of me I cant remember the reason?

I believe the no feedback is in the steering box, not the cables.
    Bassking, is your rig jet or prop?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Try this. It is actually a steering box with new cables. It takes a little getting use too as it feels like you have stiff steering. But you don't feel that jurk on the steering wheel when you hit a wave or wake. Have you ever had the steering wheel jerked out of your hand?

May have to copy and paste:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

BTW: Bassking was my wife's idea.

She is from Missouri=Bass Fishing

I am from Alaska= King Salmon Fishing
    Samonking would have sounded presumptuous, and really, a guy needs all the luck he can get out fishing No sense invoking the bad fishing juju.
    Thanks for the link

Default Jet

It's currently a jet,but I am considering swapping it over to a prop.With gas prices dropping,this could mean more than one trip to the Big Water next year. AKgramps,AKBassking,on a scale of 1 to 10,How difficult was it to replace your steering,or did you leave it to the Pro's? '

TODO,

Replacement of the steering is not too hard and requires only ordnary tools. But it really depends on you boat type. Most aluminum boats the steering cable runs under the gunwale but in some fiberglass boats it runs between the inner and outer hull. Fiberglass boats of this type are a lot harder and sometimes require cutting of access holes in your inner hull liner. These can then be covered with screw-in or snap-in plates for future access. Lots more work and expense. Hope you have aluminum. Good luck.

Default jet

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Is it a jet or prop?
    I replaced my helm last fall and was advised against a no feedback for a jet OB, for the life of me I cant remember the reason?

I believe the no feedback is in the steering box, not the cables.
    Bassking, is your rig jet or prop?
    I am running a Evinrude 250 with a pump. I love it, but it does take a little getting use to, especially when running rivers.

I don't miss having the steering wheel jerked out of my hand!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Thumbs up Not bad

It's currently a jet,but I am considering swapping it over to a prop.With gas prices dropping,this could mean more than one trip to the Big Water next year. AKgramps,AKBassking,on a scale of 1 to 10,How difficult was it to replace your steering,or did you leave it to the Pro's? '
    Just follow the instructions. I replaced the cables at the same time. It was about a 3-4 for me with 10 being the most difficult. The biggest pain for me was running the cables, which runs with all the wires, hoses etc, down the starbord side of my Wooly!

One nice thing about the "no Feedback" is you don't have to bungie up your motor any more! How many of you have seen going down the road and around a corner a guy's jet slamming back and forth??? The steering eliminates this.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

You didnt say what kind/type boat and as some what else mentioned that could make a diffrence.
    On my boat It was relatively simple as Bassking said, and dealing with the cable can be a little tedious.
    On the Teleflex helms the cables snaps in and out, and I had to do it several times to get the wheel centered, there are instructions for centering but it turned into more of a trial and error deal for me.
    The reason I changed mine is because it was a 4 turn helm and on a crooked river it kept me plenty busy, even with a spinner. I put on a 3 turn tilt helm and like it alot it, it defintely helped.
    I think the reason I was advised not to use a no feedback was they can slip? Apparently it works fine for Bassking, so perhaps that was not accurate advice. My engine is not as big so???? who knows?
    What kinda boat/ motor setup do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    You didnt say what kind/type boat and as some what else mentioned that could make a diffrence.
    On my boat It was relatively simple as Bassking said, and dealing with the cable can be a little tedious.
    On the Teleflex helms the cables snaps in and out, and I had to do it several times to get the wheel centered, there are instructions for centering but it turned into more of a trial and error deal for me.
    The reason I changed mine is because it was a 4 turn helm and on a crooked river it kept me plenty busy, even with a spinner. I put on a 3 turn tilt helm and like it alot it, it defintely helped.
    I think the reason I was advised not to use a no feedback was they can slip? Apparently it works fine for Bassking, so perhaps that was not accurate advice. My engine is not as big so???? who knows?
    What kinda boat/ motor setup do you have?
    Its an 18' Smoker craft with a Honda 150 jet.The boat is a 91 and I bet those controls are the same age.