Thread: New gun & New Scope

Default New gun & New Scope

I am purchasing a new rifle next week (Ruger .308 Hawkeye) and I am trying to find a scope to fit.

I have searched the forums and have found a ton of good information. I just want to check my decisions with the specific rifle I will be mounting on.

I am looking at either 3X9X40 in Leupold VX-I ($200), Nikon Monarch ($250), or Nikon Prostaff ($150).

I am leaning towards the Leupold, although I've heard some like the Monarch better. I think I'd rather buy the Leupold than the Prostaff. On the other hand, it might not be bad for a budget scope.

And for rings, go for tilleys?

Thanks for the help!

Default scope

Leupold is your best bet going i would suggest going with the VX-II in stead of the VX-I. Yes it's a bit more but its a better piece of glass on your platform. I have used most of what you have listed and for the most part they are all good scopes;but, Leupold has always been good the others have not. There are a lot of opinions out there on this and that but the bottom line is who will cover it if you break it? The eye releaf and light on leupolds are great and that will go along way in most books. Hope this helps. Good luck T

Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I like smaller objective lenses (20mm to 33mm) and fixed lower power. Small objective lenses to give Murphy less surface to bang on during a hunt, and fixed low power to keep weight down, help low light performance, reduce complication, and keep me from walking through grizzly woods with a scope mistakenly set at 9x. My primary rig now wears a 4x leupold. This after wearing first a 3x9 leupold, a 2.5x8 leupold, and a 2x7 leupold. Some may argue, but I don't think that I'm giving up anything - precision, range, or otherwise - to a bigger scope.

I'd sing a different tune if I was shooting prairie dogs or small whitetails at ridiculous ranges (500+ yards). I'm backpack hunting for large animals - light weight and low power is the order of the day. If you want a higher powered scope for developing handloads, that's fine too, but it's not too tough to shoot sub-moa with a 4x, either.

Default Burris

I think for the money, you can't beat a Burris fullfield II 3-9x40. I bet you can shop around and find one for less than 200 dollars.