Thread: Do Grizzly Bears eat Beavers ?

Default Do Grizzly Bears eat Beavers ?

I know black bears LOVE to eat beaver carcasses (we get them from the trappers and use them on bait sites late in the season). However, my grandson asked if grizzlies or brown bears ever tear open the beaver lodges to get at beavers? I truly do not know the answer (as we don't have grizzlies here in Maine). I figure some of you folks know the answer. Thanks

yep.....I have friends trapping now with beaver carcasses and last year one of my buds had a bear come in on a beaver carcass hung in a tree.

I've see houses that bears have torn up trying to get to beavers although I doubt they have a very high success doing it. This fall we had an early snow I saw where brown bears had hit several houses but no evidence they got anything. I have no doubt a brownie will eat a beaver given the opportunity.
    Chuck

Smile bear

when they are hungry they will do about anything to get a meal..beaver included

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

When I was a kid the family took a drive to see Denali.

We stopped by the side of the highway at one point and watched a brown bear pawing at a beaver lodge. Given the amount of time it took that bear to tear the roof off, I'm quite certain the beavers had plenty of time to swim away.

Smile Grizzly eating beavers

I know Grizzlies eat man, and man eats Beaver. Is that like Grizzly eating Beaver?

Default yes they do

They will tear a beaver lodge apart, especially in the spring, when they come out of their den and food is scarce. Even if adulds get away there are still pups in the house that must be pretty tasty treat after a long winter's nap! Much more common than people think.