Thread: Deer loosing antlers SE

Default Deer loosing antlers SE

Anyone have any ideas as to when blacktail start loosing their antlers in Southeast? I figured by mid December but I am looking for any thoughts. Have a buddy who wants to go do a Christmas hunt and I worry it may be too late.

Thanks for any input,

GOoch

I'm thinking late Feb or March

I'm going to guess January, we've shot horned deer around Christmas.

Im going to say around Jan-Feb time frame as well...

Default Dec

I have heard of dropped horns from the first week of December .... on.

Default Decemberish

December usually produces some with some without here on Baranof island. In January its generally an antlerless hunt.

Default Anyone have any ideas as to when blacktail start loosing their antlers in Southeast?

Bagged a few on Ho HO hunts between Christmas and New Years. Have seen both with and without antlers, when one tipped over antlers fell off.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default my two pesos

I would have to say that SOME deer start to loose em mid to late december. I head shot a forked horn on december 20 a few years back and one of his antlers popped off.
    I suppose that it all depends on a number of factors---animals overall health, fat reserves, hormones, etc. I bet one of the biologists at Fish and Game could tell you from a biological standpoint what factors really cause the growth plate to weaken instead of my "homemade theory". Just get out there and hunt hard--cover some country keep your eyes open and eventually you'll find the mysterious sitka blacktail buck usually staring at you-- long before you see him.

the majority of deer I have seen after Christmas are missing there antlers I have seen a couple forks with their antlers still on. but antlers or not I'll shoot it(its brown its down)

Default Antler loss

Everywhere I've hunted Sitkas, they started losing their antlers around mid Dec. That would be Kodiak and Prince William Sound. Doesn't seem to matter if they are young or old. I've shot both young and old bucks without antlers by mid Dec, and I've seen a few of both age classes with antlers in Jan. Most antlers are gone by mid Jan.

As for the cause, I believe I've read it's the length of the days that triggers the hormonal change that causes the antlers to fall off.

Prince of Wales Island does not nhave an open Doe season ... there is a Fed Doe season for subsistence hunters via permit ...

But the State Reg book does use the word 'Buck' so even if the Antlers are shed and you can tell it's a Buck it's still open till Dec 31st.

I have never taken a Dec Buck but I am trying ... and it did not happen today.

The 'rut' is winding down fast and the Bucks are becoming very WARY again !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Prince of Wales Island does not nhave an open Doe season ... there is a Fed Doe season for subsistence hunters via permit ...

But the State Reg book does use the word 'Buck' so even if the Antlers are shed and you can tell it's a Buck it's still open till Dec 31st.

I have never taken a Dec Buck but I am trying ... and it did not happen today.

The 'rut' is winding down fast and the Bucks are becoming very WARY again !!!!
    yup.. they are sure getting scarce quick.. I noticed that myself.

As for the antlers, we saw a buck on Revilla island, still holding his rack Dec 31, that was two years ago.

you can't eat the antlers, so it really doesn't matter, god those critters are tastey
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just wanted to say that the biggest Sitka I have ever taken (3x3) was on Dec 31.

I yanked on his horns pretty darn hard - they were solidly on. He was at least 175# on the hoof. We had to go back in on Jan 1 to drag him out.

Default Never can tell

I"m sure there are a number of factors that dictate when horns drop. A few years ago we were hunting Thanksgiving weekend and a guy shot a buck and it's antlers fell off when it dropped.