Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fall 2009 moose hunt?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anckorage Alaska
    Posts
    81

    Default Fall 2009 moose hunt?

    i will drive any ware and i have all the time in the world, and i want to shoot a moose. i will be taking my friend and we just don't know ware to go. we have 4 wheel drive and two 4 wheelers. i don't have lots of money so i can only drive. i have all the gear and am trying to plan a trip for next fall. any info of a good area to try would be awsome and thanks to all

  2. #2

    Default

    For novice hunters wanting to hunt from the wheelers, I would recommend concentrating you effort and planning around the Delta Junction region. They currently have the highest concentration of moose in the state. Take a good look at the permit hunts when they come out in spring. A look at last years regs will give you some idea of what to look for. Others have had exceptionally good hunting in the registration areas as well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    With this much lead time, I'd suggest looking into the Delta area and see if you can't hook up something in that neck of the woods.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anckorage Alaska
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Hey thanks guys for the info on the moose hunt. I will be looking towards Delta. Any other info would be awesome.

  5. #5
    Member nibenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    167

    Default Delta

    There are no more moose around Delta. My brother and friends shot the last 3 from the same treestand in September.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

  6. #6

    Default

    Actually, finding a bull over 50"s will be a chore unless you draw a Delta bull moose tag. I have hunted near Delta since 1993 and the # of big bulls have gone down dramatically. Last time I hunted there was in 2007 and I saw 1 spike fork that I passed on and let another in our group shoot it. My 2 buds that hunted it last year both shot spike forks and they usually always shoot moose over 50"s. There's too much hunting pressure in that area and the bulls don't stand a chance to reach 50"s.

  7. #7
    Member nibenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    167

    Default True

    Only one of the 3 was over 50". They are getting harder to find. But we've only been skunked twice out of 17 years hunting with many in the 50" range. Most within a half mile of probably the heaviest hunted river in the interior. It's all about scouting and finding where they hang out when the pressure is on. If you are looking for moose over 50" an any bull area is not the best place to hunt. But if you are putting meat on the table...........
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •