Thread: 308 for Mountain Goats

Default 308 for Mountain Goats

I have a Titanium 308 in a Winchester model. Very light rifle with a Vari-x III 4.5 x 14 x 50 scope on it. I also have a WSM 300 Winchester rifle, a little heavier rifle with the same scope. I shoot both the same and am accurate easily out to 350 yards on both.

The last Goat hunt I went on I took the 300WSM, Got my Goat , but the rifle felt like a 20 pound weight trying to climb with it. Really want to take the lighter Titanium Rifle, but am not sure if it is going to do the job. Thinking of a 168 gr bullet in a Barnes triple shock if you guys think this 308 is not too small?

Any Advice?
    Steveo

It shold be fine.I think one of the best and overlooked goat rounds is the 6.5x55 with its heavier bullet.Believe your 308 will shine for you.

Default 308 f0R GoaT

Hi Steve, I had a Remington Model 600 with Leopold 4x shooting Hornady 150 grain that I took a Goat and several sheep with. I felt comfortable out to 300 yards with it.
    With today's better bullets I would not hesitate to take the 308. Rmember shot placement is the key. Go light hunt hard and smile for the picture.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default .308 for goats

My last billy was taken with a tikka t3 ultralight in .270 winchester. 380 yard shot(s)...all did enough damage, sometimes 9.75" billies with 5.75" bases take a little lead to die- I am shooting 130 grain btsp in federal premium. Your .308 will work flawlessly, as long as the guy behind it does

Good luck and happy hunting.

Default same boat

I have a 308 custom mountain rifle that I took for the same reasons as you addressed this year. If you hunt goats in a place where you can allow for them to move around while you are following up shots, take it. They are the toughest animal pound for pound if ya ask me. This one took 3 accubonds to the boiler and luckily he was in a good spot (for goats). Usually, I find I want the goat down immediately or he'll be in the abyss. That's why I would recommend taking the heavier gun. The 308 will no doubt kill a goat, just better not be on a 20' shelf or he'll likely make the jump. Pack the weight and put him down HARD, I'd say.

308 should be fine. I love the 168 TSX but more a slightly more fragile bullet maybe better suited since goats are a bit slab sided. Perhaps something like the old Nosler Partition maybe more ideal. It seems like the more "explosive" bullets with increased hydrostatic shock are more effective on goats.....but I certainly wouldn't feel handicapped with the TSX....esp if you hit a bone. Good luck.

Default goat gun

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    I have a 308 custom mountain rifle that I took for the same reasons as you addressed this year. If you hunt goats in a place where you can allow for them to move around while you are following up shots, take it. They are the toughest animal pound for pound if ya ask me. This one took 3 accubonds to the boiler and luckily he was in a good spot (for goats). Usually, I find I want the goat down immediately or he'll be in the abyss. That's why I would recommend taking the heavier gun. The 308 will no doubt kill a goat, just better not be on a 20' shelf or he'll likely make the jump. Pack the weight and put him down HARD, I'd say.
    He is right on the mark on everything IMO. If the situation isn't to your liking, just don't shoot as things can go awry with a goat. However, that is true with any rifle on goats IMO.

I took mine last year with a Rem 700 Ti in .308 Win shooting the 150gr Barnes MRX's. Took one shot through the boiler room and it was a done deal. Let me tell you, a 6# gun is MUCH better then a 7 1/2-8# gun when you are in Goat country.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default T3

I shot mine with a Tikka T3 in .308 shooting a 150 gr. Accubond bullet. One shot put it down and I gave it another insurance shot to keep it down because he was still holding his head up. ( didn't want him bailing off the mt.) 2 other buddies of mine have shot goats with the same gun. One went down immediately, and one went down, got up, took 3 bounds to the wrong side of the mt. and then bailed off. Bummer for us. That kept me from shooting the 2nd goat because I knew we were screwed getting the first goat out.

Wink exactly......

The one that bailed off is why its worth carrying 1.5 more pounds.