Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200 grain Accubond Field Report

Default 200 grain Accubond Field Report

Hi all,

Just got back from my whitetail hunt. I was using 200 grain Nosler Accubonds in my 06' with 55 grains of IMR-4350 behind it. Shot a whitetail in the chest as it was looking at me. The built fragmented into 3 pieces, with one going front to back (41 inches) and kept going. The shot was 125 yards. Just FYI...

Ron

I would sure be glad it wasn't a bigger critter..

Do you have pictures of the bullet?

41 inches is plenty far penetration for even the biggest critters.

I load 200 Accubonds for my brother in laws 300 ultra mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I figure if it broke up on a deer it might not penetrate more than a inch or two on a bears shoulder. I want my bullet to be in one piece when it stops hopefully on the off side.I don't even want it to shead its jacket.

I'm kinda with Will here. Sounds like it did fine on the whitetail, but may not have done so well on a moose... I understand the Partition is supposed to come apart leaving the back half, but thought the Accubond was supposed to stay together.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Lets see...Light animal, shot with a bonded bullet with a high weight for caliber which gives a fairly low velocity out of the '06. Hmmm...for a bonded bullet that's very poor performance. Definately not very inspiring if to be used on larger game. Hech, with this type of performance why not save some cash and buy cheaper Hornady's???

I think there is more to it that what is being told here.

I have see too many reports about the good results on elk and moose to throw them under the bus over one deer report.

Especially when the 165 Ballistic tip have show its mettle on moose and bear for that matter out of the 30-06.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The worst bullet performance I ever saw was with a win 270 gr, silvertip in 375 H&H.I shot a small about 150# black bear in the shoulder at maybe 25 yards max. The bullet blew up instantly under the skin though it did knock him down with force I used a 44 mag to dispatch him. When i skined him there was a circle about 18" round inside the skin that was silver and so thick you couldn't scrape it out. The hole just did touch the bone but I found no lead. I figured the fps was just to high for the range and it blew. Other that saw this claimed the silvertips best use was for signaling when loss but I know they have taken alot of game.Of course never again will it be from my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

Just got back from my whitetail hunt. I was using 200 grain Nosler Accubonds in my 06' with 55 grains of IMR-4350 behind it. Shot a whitetail in the chest as it was looking at me. The built fragmented into 3 pieces, with one going front to back (41 inches) and kept going. The shot was 125 yards. Just FYI...

Ron
    How far did it run after you shot it??...BTW that's probably not the best target to shoot on a whitetail....tried that one once when I was 13 and learn a good lesson that day I found the deer about 500 yards away from where it was first dropped took me all day to find him in the brush.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Hi all,

After reading up and doing research on this bullet I figured I would load up 50. I did not expect this on a whitetail. It ran 3 feet and did not leave much of a blood trail. Although this resulted in a successful hunt, I am not happy at all with how the bullet performed on this deer. I didn't loose much meat, but I can't believe broke into 3 pieces. I wish I could have found the bullet and showed photos guys, but like I said clean through. My guess is bad shot placement? But why would a bullet such as this do what it did? It reminds me of a ballistic tip in the way that it fragmented....

Ron

As many of those I have used in my 300Win mag and 300Wby taking deer, elk and hog it is hard to believe it broke in three parts moving at best 2550 to 2700fps at muzzle in front of 55grs IMR4350. On top of that at 125yds velocity was really reduced as compared to muzzle. I have hunted a lot with 165gr Accubonds in my 30-06 and never I mean never had a failure. I have been hunting for some years now with the Accubond. It is also hard to believe you would be using 200gr bullets for deer in a 30-06 but that is surely your option to do so. I find it interesting to say the least.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BearTooth,

I truly believe your experience with them. I looked when I cut it up for signs other then what I described. I could find none. No bone missing the was forced out, nothing....What would make holes in the hide that was on the same path as the bullet took??? My best guess is the round hit at 2100-2200 fps at that distance. Why do you think I posted this info? Doesn't it seem a bit strange that the accubond did this? I was looking to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Ron

BearTooth,

I truly believe your experience with them. I looked when I cut it up for signs other then what I described. I could find none. No bone missing the was forced out, nothing....What would make holes in the hide that was on the same path as the bullet took??? My best guess is the round hit at 2100-2200 fps at that distance. Why do you think I posted this info? Doesn't it seem a bit strange that the accubond did this? I was looking to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Ron
    Yes, it is very strange that the Accubond did it. The only possible thing I could think of if it did not hit bone was an air pocket in the upper part of the lead core causing a violent response when the plastic tip was pushed into the bullet with the force it would have at any velocity above 2000fps.

Something had to go wrong in the processing of that bullet. I hope there are no more examples of that problem in the box you loaded. Might want to pull the rest and save the brass.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Accubond

I shot an elk in Idaho a couple weeks back. I brought it down with a 180 Tipped X out of a 300 SAUM. My friend took a follow up shot a few moments later as the elk was down but not completely dead. He was shooting a 180 Accubond in a 300 untra mag. I passed through just under the spine. He hit center of mass and his Accubond looked like an old Remington Core-lokt. I was very disapointed to see his bullet. We never weighed the bullet but Iím sure at least half the bullet was gone. The distance when he shot was probably around 500 yards so it had time to loose some of that crazy fast speed. I still say itís tuff to beat an X bullet.
    Phil in Anchorage

I was loading the 200's BTW to see if they would do better on bigger game. The only game around is whitetails. I don't believe I will use them on whitetails again. I am hoping this is a fluke, and not the norm. Thanks guys for all your feedback.

Ron

Smile Accubonds

Nosler say they will only retain approx 65-70% on average I believe so they are not made to completely retain everything. I know allot of people who use them and no one has ever had a situation like you described. I have only used them once and it was a 160 grain out of a 7mm wsm. I shot a nice Bull Elk at approx 200 yards through the neck. The bullet broke his neck and the exit whole was about the size of a quarter so that tells me the bullet stayed together. I really wanted to shoot him right in the front shoulder so I could see just how it would perform. He only gave me a neck shot.

I was loading the 200's BTW to see if they would do better on bigger game. The only game around is whitetails. I don't believe I will use them on whitetails again. I am hoping this is a fluke, and not the norm. Thanks guys for all your feedback.

Ron
    Just for curiosity sake why don't you fire a few of those Accubonds in some media that will allow you to recover the bullet just to make sure this is a fluke. I am inclined to believe you are right about it being just a fluke but really would be neat to know if it was a bad batch.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What would you suggest? I have a limited budget. Phone books? Ballistic Buffalo, like the Meehan Report?

Ron

Here is a 200gr AB shot out of my 325wsm. mv 2940 (I have cronied these rounds) which put it at about 2300fps when it hit the moose. I ranged the moose at 315yds. Broke his spine. The bullet weighs 140gr. Exactly 70% weight retention like Nosler says AB's are supposed to.

If your bullet totally fragmented I would say it was a fluke, but, it did get the job done, dead dear. Did you recover any of the bullet? Maybe it just shed 60 grains into 2 pieces and the 3rd 140 gr bullet went clean through?

What would you suggest? I have a limited budget. Phone books? Ballistic Buffalo, like the Meehan Report?

Ron
    Are there any cattle in your area?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast