Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder showing up again in Alaska?

Default Powder showing up again in Alaska?

I've been outside for a week. Does anyone know if the gun stores have been receiving new stocks of powder yet?

Default No!

Been stopping by Anchorage Sportsman's every week when their inventory arrives and your lucky to see a shopping cart of random powder. Great Northern Guns only has a little more but nothing of the main rifle powders. Was at Wasilla Sportman's today and a whole lot of nothing.

Not too suprising for Sportman's. They can't order their own inventory when it gets low and don't know what they are going to get until it arrives.

Boondocks had a little powder last time I was in their. May be worth a try.

Thanks, I'll give Boondocks a try.

Regardless of the store it seems that as soon as it arrives it's gone. Been looking for some Varget for weeks and finally settled on a couple of pounds of H414 that I found so I can load up some ammo now.

I've heard one reason Sportsmans has had trouble keeping componets on the shelf (and it's been seen well before the election) is that the owner was putting his $ into opening new stores vs. keeping inventory on the shelves. I've also heard that Sportsmans is in the process of being bought out by a Canadian outfit.

Boondocks seemed to have a pretty good supply of powder last time I was in there. There are also a few other spots in town that may have powder, if you want to pay $30 a pound!

I was out at Boondocks this past Saturday, and they're pretty bare too.

Default Inventory tax

One very real reason that there may not be a lot of new powder, or other components for that matter, before the first of the year is due to the ridiculous inventory tax which taxes businesses at the end of the year on anything they HAVEN'T SOLD by years end. So, most businesses let their inventory thin out near the end of the year to avoid paying this unfare tariff. I know that Great Northern Guns has about 700 pounds due after Jan. 1st. Hang in there.

Sportsmans has been partialy sold to the Canadian's. THey have real issues with stock levels in stores.

Default Canadians?

Do you know which Canadian Co. bought into Sportsman's Warehouse?

Sportsman Warehouse is totally useless as of late. Not only are they almost completely bare of any powder but 95% of there bullet stocks are gone as well as primers.

I cant even comprehend how a manager of a store such as this this can even stay in business the way they refuse to order supplies. And it isnt a local issue, it seems like most SW stores across the lower 48 states are out as well.
    Tennessee

So let's forget about Sportsman Warehouse and support the local shops.

Frontier here in Fairbanks has been getting some powder and primers in off and on over the last couple weeks. It goes quick though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack49 View Post
    So let's forget about Sportsman Warehouse and support the local shops.
    Rep points to ya for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Sportsman Warehouse is totally useless as of late. Not only are they almost completely bare of any powder but 95% of there bullet stocks are gone as well as primers.

I cant even comprehend how a manager of a store such as this this can even stay in business the way they refuse to order supplies. And it isnt a local issue, it seems like most SW stores across the lower 48 states are out as well.

Those two things (they're not just out of powder but lots of other things; also happening at all stores, not just one or two) strongly point to them trying to minimize their inventory tax. As mauserboy mentioned, it'll be interesting to see if everything starts to reappear on their shelves in January.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Those two things (they're not just out of powder but lots of other things; also happening at all stores, not just one or two) strongly point to them trying to minimize their inventory tax. As mauserboy mentioned, it'll be interesting to see if everything starts to reappear on their shelves in January.

Mike
    The problem with the tax theory is that any tax due would be based on inventory on December 31. Their shelves have been bare for going on 3 months or longer. They could have sold a lot of inventory in the last 3 months and the shelves could have been just as bare on 12/31.

Also, what other store in Alaska do you know of that cuts their inventory to next to nothing as the Christmas shopping season starts? The amount of lost sales would make the tax look insignificant to any other merchant. I don't see Walmart, Fred Meyer etc with empty shelves this time of year.

Default Big Store/Little store

The big box stores like Wal-Mart, Fred Meyers don't function like small stores where a few grand extra at tax time makes a big difference. I was talking about now, not three months ago. Small stores up here pay a lot more for shipping powder then stores in the Lower 48, so they wait until they can purchase enough to stock up well, and the large amount of powder obtained can go out over a period of time. To buy enough powder, such as the 700 pounds coming to GNG this late in the year would end up costing more because of the inventory tax. I worked at GNG for several years and have talked to other local gun dealers. The inventory tax is not a "theory."

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    The big box stores like Wal-Mart, Fred Meyers don't function like small stores where a few grand extra at tax time makes a big difference. I was talking about now, not three months ago. Small stores up here pay a lot more for shipping powder then stores in the Lower 48, so they wait until they can purchase enough to stock up well, and the large amount of powder obtained can go out over a period of time. To buy enough powder, such as the 700 pounds coming to GNG this late in the year would end up costing more because of the inventory tax. I worked at GNG for several years and have talked to other local gun dealers. The inventory tax is not a "theory."
    The theory is that they are not buying supplies because of the tax. Not that the tax exists. The tax is a cost of doing business that is taken into account by business as they price their goods and services. Nobody in their right mind would not stock up for Christmas sales because they have to pay a tax. They price their products to cover the tax.

If you think that Wallmart and Fred Meyers etc don't care about taxes as much as the small guy you are mistaken. However, they realize that to be in business means to sell products and that all taxes are evertually passed on to the consumer so it doesn't really matter what taxes exist.

What you're saying is that a national chain like Sportsman Warehouse, with stores in almost every state and 3 in Alaska does not act like a national chain like Fred Meyer, even though they are one, but more like a mom and pop store. Then how is it that the mom and pop stores in town are getting powder and primers delivered in every week and Sportsmans' cannot?

You are also saying that with 3 large outlets in Alaska and a national distribution network they can't figure out how much powder, primers etc they can sell in November and December and ship that to Alaska cost efficiently. I would suggest that 700 pounds of powder delivered to Sportsmans in Alaska and divided out over 3 stores would probably sell out in a week. In addition, other posts have indicated that Sportsman's stores in Washington state, a state with no inventory tax, have the same situation.

The bottom line is that they have a reason for not stocking up. Perhaps they are looking to conserve cash till the end of the year for some reason. Maybe they have no cash and no credit due to the current credit crunch. Who knows, I certainly don't. But since they are the only business in the whole state including mom and pops that has not geared up for Holiday sales, where retailers make the bulk of their yearly sales, it is clear that it's not because of inventory taxes.

Bottom line is if a store wanted to create a loyal customer base they would keep the items in stock. Most of us detest running all over town to find what we need. I really don't give a crap what there reason is for not having the stuff in stock. If lower 48 stores can do it so can ours.
    I will give the local stores till the first of Jan to be restocked. After this we need to put together a group buy and we can order a large amount of powder to last a couple of years.

If these Alaskan idiot stores do not want my money I can easily find a lower 48 store that does.
    Tennessee

Amen, Amen, Amen (had to get 10 characters)

Default Bring me the powder!

I'd be up for that. This situation at SW is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast