Thread: 30.06 Accelerator

Default 30.06 Accelerator

I posted this question on an earlier thread dealing with AR-15 questions, but will open it up to a broader audience. I'm looking for a cartridge that could duplicate the ballistics I get with Remington's 55 grain PSP Accelerators in my 30.06 A-bolt, but it would have to be something that's compatible with an AR platform. I don't reload, so I'm looking for factory offerings, to be used for predators (primarily coyotes) and possibly blacktails.
    Any suggestions?

I don't think you will find anything velocity and bullet weight that is in that range and is not a wildcat. If I recall correctly the 30-06 55 grain accelerators are at about 4000 fps. The 22-250 and 220 swift are available in factory ammo this fast but only with light bullets. The 22-250 might work in an AR-10 platform but I suspect the 220 would be to long. Both are to long for the AR-15.

What is the accuracy of those accelerator rounds? I heard they are not to accurate.

The 223 WSSM would be the closet thing. It has near the same ballistics and will also fit an AR. Dont know how well it would cycle.

Some guns will shoot accelerators very well or so I have read.

The thing with the accelerators is the accelerator itself allows the bullet to go faster. A 22-06 will not shoot as fast as a 30-06 with accelerators due to bullet friction. So to get the same velocity you are going to need to be burning the same amount of powder or more depending on case design.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Loved shooting the Accelerators in my .30/06, can anyone reload them.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thanks for all the feedback!
    I realize that the 4000 fps velocity with a 55 grain bullet is probably unique to the Accelerator rounds, but I'm still hoping to find something for use in an AR that's fairly flat shooting with sufficient retained energy out to 300 yards or so.
    The 22-250, with a 55 gr. bullet, compares very favorably with the 30.06 Accelerator rounds. Their ballistics are definitely in the same ballpark. Thanks, BANDHMO, for the suggestion. This would be perfect in a bolt action rifle, but I've got my heart set on an AR.
    I've also looked at the 6.8mm SPC round: it has a heavier bullet (115 gr.) for better down range energy, but that comes at the price of a little worse trajectory. The cartridges are also (relatively) uncommon and expensive, but that would certainly change if rumours that the military will drop the 5.56mm in favor of the 6.8mm turn out to be true.
    As far as accuracy, ARKY, the Accelerators have been highly inconsistent in my A-Bolt. In my last session at the Fairbanks S. Cushman range last winter I set my final target at the 300 yard line; five shots later I had three holes within a 3" circle, one hole 8" off target, and one 11" off target. I get similar results at other yardages. They can be very accurate, they're just not always very accurate. My rifle is particular about its diet, but it discharges the same bullets the same way every time; with these I just can't depend on the same results from shot to shot.
    I've taken your advice, Mr. Miller, and looked into the .223 WSSM - it does exactly what I'm looking for, and Olympic Arms chambers AR-15 uppers in that caliber. This certainly looks like my answer. Thank you!

Apparently it cycles fine if the uppers are already available.

I have reloaded accelerators before. I think I bought the accelerators of ebay but dont know where to find them now.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Sabots

This web site advertises sabots for reloaders;
    http://www.reloadammo.com/sabot.htm
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !