Thread: 17HMR Vs 22WM

Default 17HMR Vs 22WM

Which is better? I am trying to deceide which caliber to go with. Is there a big difference in killing power b/w the two? I am thinking mostly for plinking and calling in coyotes, fox, lynx or whatever comes in. Thanks for the help.
    Tim

The HMR is hands down the most inherintly accurate cartridge of the 2. Combinded with its laser like trajectory it takes the guess work out of hitting targets from 25 to 125 yards.

Having tested the 17HMR on small game up to fox I can attest to that little 17 v-max bullet being quite the little bad pill!

The 22 Mag does offer A little more frontal area and weight. Good things to have on your side when hunting the predators. And Ive watched quite a few predator calling videos where the 22 mag was putting coyotes down to rest with aplomb.

These 2 cartridges are highly debatable, like ford or chevy.

My nod goes to the 17HMR, even though its a lighter bullet, it hits with a explosive force. Combine that with amazing accuracy out of the several guns I've tried it in gives me the confidence that it should take game up to coyotes within a 100 yard distance.

Plinking is also much more enjoyable with the 17 as the recoil is nonexistant and its alot of fun to see your hits through an 18 power scope. True not much recoil with the 22 mag either but at High magnification it does disturb the scope picture.

Ammo price is about the same with both rounds so that shouldnt be a factor for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    Which is better? I am trying to deceide which caliber to go with. Is there a big difference in killing power b/w the two? I am thinking mostly for plinking and calling in coyotes, fox, lynx or whatever comes in. Thanks for the help.
    Tim
    I decided to go with the 17HMR after good bit of research. The 17 is just a great flat shooting inherently accurate round. I have a new savage 17hmr w/ the accutrigger and I absolutely love it!

Decent read:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/magnum_rimfire_comparison.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The 17 is just a great flat shooting inherently accurate round.
    Jinx Lujon!

Default Distance separates the two...

as you move beyond 100 yds: .17HMR costs a little more but performs better if you shoot often beyond 100yds. Detailed ballistics/performance breakdowns on the Chuck Hawks website (free section), including the comparison referenced by Lujon. (Interesting stuff about the 5mm round in that article).

.17 HMR. Besides everything that has been mentioned, it has some good properties if you miss. I've never heard a.17 HMR ricochet when I missed a coyote. .22 LR and .22 WM will. The lightweight .17 round is going so fast with it's explosive force (thanks, rimfirematt) it probably just explodes when it hits a branch or rock instead of ricocheting.

Maybe this isn't a big deal here, but back home we hunt coyotes where cows may be and we don't want to accidentally hit a cow with a ricochet.

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    .17 HMR. Besides everything that has been mentioned, it has some good properties if you miss. I've never heard a.17 HMR ricochet when I missed a coyote. .22 LR and .22 WM will. The lightweight .17 round is going so fast with it's explosive force (thanks, rimfirematt) it probably just explodes when it hits a branch or rock instead of ricocheting.

Maybe this isn't a big deal here, but back home we hunt coyotes where cows may be and we don't want to accidentally hit a cow with a ricochet.
    Excelent point on the ricochet! Most 17 hmr ammo is frangible so when it strikes something solid it blows up. If you are hunting in an area where there is potential for a ricochet to cause injury then you should not be using FMJ bullets!

Sidebar....
    a friend of mine "back in the day" spent summers hanging out on his grand fathers farm. One summer his grandfather gave him a single shot .22 and after some training and practice he was let loose on the local pigeon and crow population. He was specifically told to only shoot pigeons and crows since they were considered pests. One day he was out wondering the fields with his trusty .22 and there was just nothing to shoot at. He finally noticed a sparrow on a distant fence post. Looking around he found he was alone and figured no one would miss just one little sparrow, besides at that distance it was unlikely he would hit it anyway. He propped up and took careful aim, took a deep breath let 1/2 of it out and carefully squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the rifle report he saw a poof of feather, the sparrow tumbled from the post and in the distance he saw a brief bit of motion as if something dropped out of sight in the background. He ran forward to the sparrow and knelt down picking it up feeling some remorse for needlessly taking the animals life. It was just then that he looked up and noticed a cow about 75 yards out in the field that seemed to laying in a somewhat odd position. He climbed the fence and went to get a closer look at the cow. He found just the slightest bit of blood coming from a small wound in the side of the very dead cows head!
    While he was probably correct no one would notice the sparrow perhaps it was Karma because Gramps was definitely going to notice a 1400lb dead cow in one of his fields! The end result was my friend spent the next couple days eating standing up and sleeping on his stomach while he waited for his hind end to heal. That was also the last non game bird that fell to his hand!

Take a look at Magnum Research MagnumLite rifles. They have 22LR, 22mag, 17 mach2 and 17 HMR. All built on a 10/22 action with a carbon barrel (one 22Mag does have a stainless barrel). They are a little on the pricey side, but look like they would be sweet shooters.