Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Hunt the Alaskan Hare in the southcentral region.

Thanks for draggin this one up! I was just thinking of getting the old fat beagle out in the woods this weekend. I got a hunch it should be good. Not to mention grouse can probably still be had as a bonus. Plus I still need to take those pics to go along with this thread.

where are you thinking about heading to? I need to get my wheeler and .22 out for a rally!

This was a good one to dig back up. I've put lots of bunny meat on the table since this thread started. Matt was right! time of year and location are the two biggest variables in success in my experience. Recent weather also makes a big difference. I just started two weeks of leave, and I'm going to see if I can put my son on some bunnies.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

We are the newbees. Thanks for the advice. We are heading out this weekend. Hope to connect.

Thanks for the info, since I have been deployed have not got to hunt nothing but spring bear, Get to come home for R&R in Feb and was going to go bunny blasting, dont care if I get one or not just want to go hunting. My wife has never had the bouncy food so want to let her have a meal of some.

To stop runin bunnys a kinda half kis half suck air (I don't know how to kiss, so maybe its hte same thing, lol) on teh back of myhand. also, in the fall anyway, if you flush them, it has been my experience, that they run about 25 yards and turn eather towards you or they are broad side where they can loo back at you...look for the glistining eye. and black tipped ears.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

When I used to hunt Hare with a .22, I would let them run for ten seconds and then whistle. They stop and give you 5 seconds to take them out, no kissing involved.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

RFM
    this is a terrific write up... should be required reading for everyone "relocating" to Alaska...!!!

it oughta be a sticky
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    it oughta be a sticky

I second that! First sticky for the small game section. Can the mods do this up?

Default Time of Day

What is the best time of day for rabbits, Ive never been out for them but was going to take my daughter this fall.

Default How to Hunt the Alaskan Hare in the southcentral region.

Early or late is the best but if you get in the thick stuff you can kick them up at any time of day.

I like to hunt thick brush with #4 heavy game loads and an open choke, i actually hunt with a short barreled (20") gun with no choke. Shots are typically 20 yards or less and this seems to work well usually end up with 4 or 5 pellets in the rabbit that way.

Great Thread, but definitely needs more pictures

Any one know/have suspicions as to where the rabbits in the Anchorage area went or what is affecting them? They seem to have all but vanished lately (the last year or so) what's up?

I could be wrong, I was wrong once. At least, I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWe91 View Post
    Any one know/have suspicions as to where the rabbits in the Anchorage area went or what is affecting them? They seem to have all but vanished lately (the last year or so) what's up?

I could be wrong, I was wrong once. At least, I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was mistaken.
    As discussed in detail elsewhere on this site, and all over the interwebs, Snowshoe hare and Lynx populations fluctuate naturally over ~5-7 year cycles. This is a very common predator-prey population dynamic. Hare numbers rise, more Lynx kittens are born and survive to adulthood due to high food availability, and eventually they kill off all but a few hares. That makes Lynx numbers crash, so the surviving hares are able to repopulate the area. Rinse, repeat.

I assume hare do better in high snow years, too -- they stay afloat on soft snow better than lynx etc., and the snow depth elevates them enough so they can browse new areas of willows. Here on Anchorage's upper hillside, they have been solid white for a few weeks, and no doubt wish for snow as much as our local skiers and snow machiners do.

I just learned today that lynx catch on the wildlife refuge down here was 10% of the previous years catch so the predators have definitely crashed, hopefully the hares will begin to rebound soon. I haven't been able to find any sign of them this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for an awesome thread Matt! Now I know where to look for those guys when Im out grouse hunting down here around Seward!

Great Thread, but can u upload more picture?

Quote Originally Posted by harveyspecter View Post
    Great Thread, but can u upload more picture?
    It's rare when I take a photo while out rabbit hunting. But here is a preseason pic that I took with my boy with a few rabbits. Notice the brown color fur. Usually I skin my hares immediately after I shoot them. Makes it easier for carrying around with me and keeps the meat fresher. I would like to make a good quality video. I have been slowly making one over the last few years, but usually it is just me taking video of my 10 year old son so there are a lot of misses on the video. If I had a go pro maybe I could get better footage. It's fun watching the dogs work the rabbits. I'm gonna get out again soon. I'll get in touch with some of you that have pm'd me already.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast